Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Names of residential developments

Registered
    Feb 2004

Names of residential developments

I was half-joking with a local developer one time about how BORING the names of developments and the streets within them are these days....Oak Shores, Fox Valley, Maple Ridge..... So formulaic. So dull.
    I suggested he develop a JFK conspiracy plat - streets could have names like: Cuban Connection Drive, Castro Court, Grassy Noll Street, Oswald Ave., Maffia Way....
    I also made the suggestion that he develop 'UFO Acres'. Street names like: Roswell Road, Area 51 Drive, Cattle Mutilation Lane, Close Encounter Court...
    He told me the reason they don't is because they have to actually, you know, SELL the lots. I say why not have your cake and eat it too.
    Have any of you come across any actually interesting names associated with developments or streets? None out there you say - any other suggestions for 'themed developments'?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Our sitter lives on Space Blvd, off of Moon Drive.

My girlfriend rented a house on Clit Court, off VanDyke Road.

Other than that - very boring development names - Oak Ridge, Shaker Bay, High Pointe, blah blah blah.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Have any of you come across any actually interesting names associated with developments or streets? None out there you say - any other suggestions for 'themed developments'?
    I tried this while I was in grad school. We were supposed to have coherent street names that went with out development. Some of mine were:

Frozen Tundra Way
    Lombardi Ave. (A real street name)
    Holmegren Way (A real street name)
    Bret Favre Lane
    Curly Court
    Tittle Town Trail
    Bears Still Suck Street :d:
    ...and more

I was sacked points on my project because the street names had no theme! WTF? :-C

The T & A was a German chick and she just wouldn't listen to reason!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

We have a develoment made up of Star Trek name, Kirk Dr, Spoke St, Picard Way, Enterprise Blvd, Kliongon Ave. Jordy Street, Phaser Road. In a few more years no one will remeber what the names mean anymore. Usually they are quite boring.

I'd like to see a Soprano's subdivision, Tony's Street, Big Pussy Ave-RIP, Hit Man Way, Bada Bings Ave--maybe the commerical street in the development.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Typically the name is an epitaph for what it replaced. For instance, the Running Brook subdivision where a brook used to natural run and has been replaced with a concrete drainage ditch. Or Hidden Meadows. HANG ON, I've got a comic somewhere on this topic. I'll find it and post it.

Some of my personal favorites (sarcasm) are british place names with the word "Place" after them. For example, "Kensington Place" or "Buckingham Place".

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, we have an industrial park with British beer names- Courage Drive, Watney Way, etc.

My favorite is commonplace in theory but pretty bizarre in practice. Our "Goldridge (yawn) subdivision has streets named after former politicans.

Boring?

Well, imagine living on "Ellis Godfrey Drive" or "W. R. Glusen Drive" or, my favorites, "Josiah Wing Drive" and "W. and B. Goodman Lane (the W. and B are not a mistake). There was a committee formed, and some of the chosen worthies were quite controversial.

Otherwise, we have a subdivision, Aria, named with operatic terms, a "Whispering Oaks Lane" in a subdivision amidst barren grassy hills far from any oak, there are certainly no mountains anywhere near "Mountain Meadows Drive," and I doubt that Leaonard da Vinci would be proud of any association with the luxury tract homes lining "Renaissance Drive" and "Antiquity Court."

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Davis, CA has lots of themed subivisions. Subdivisions with all bird names, subdivisions with all college names, etc. The most famous subdivision in Davis is probably Village Homes (a model of 1970's environmentally friendly subdivisions). All the streets are named after places in the Hobbit.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    There are a group of streets located in a suburb outside of New Orleans named Hickory Avenue, Dickory Avenue & Dock Avenue. I think there's a point where they converge or something and you can't tell which street you're on.

Many of the street names in New Orleans will change once you cross major streets or certain landmarks. For example, Baronne Street (which runs from uptown to downtown) changes to Bourbon Street once you cross Canal Street into the French Quarter. The same goes for the other streets that are immediately parallel to it such as St. Charles Avenue - turns into Royal Street in the French Quarter. This was mainly because Canal Street was once the line of demarcation between the French Creoles and the Americans back in the 1800s.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    One of the older developments in the town I work in must have had a developer fond of Tennis:

Wimbledon Dr.
    Evert Ct.
    McEnroe Dr.
    Connors Dr.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    i think my 60's subdivision is the Kennedy's,,, Jean Drive, Ruth Road, Jack Road, Carolyn Road...not sure where Valerie Drive comes into play though...
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    None out there you say - any other suggestions for 'themed developments'?
    I like some of the street names in Prospect, a new urbanist development in Longmont, Colorado.

Incorrigible Circle
    Neon Forest Circle
    Ionosphere Drive
    Confidence Drive
    Half Measures Drive
    Tempted Ways Drive
    Tenacity Drive

There is a lot of similarity between street naming and baby naming trends. Back home, I used to be able to tell when a street was developed, just from the feel of the street name. Colonial-sounding names (Old Post Way, Carriage Way, Lantern Lane, Bennington Way, etc) were typical of the 1970s, very British names (Wellington Way, Ayershire Court, etc) defined the 1980s, and I'm told in much of the country, Italian/Tuscan names are now popular.

The German and Polish ethnic street names of Buffalo's East Side (Schreck Street, Sienkiewicz Street, etc) could never be duplicated today; nobody would want to buy a house on a street with a name that sounds harsh to their ears, or which they can't pronounce. I know I would never buy a house on the street where I now rent, because the name just isn't appealing to me - Edsal Drive (subdivided in the mid-1920s, developed in the 1950s).
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2000

Comic

Here's a good one. It's in the gallary. Jim Borgman did another similar cartoon, I'll try to find.

Link

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    How is this for an obvious/blatent theme:
    These are all in one subdiv -
    Big 10 Blvd, IU Dr, Wolverine Dr, Illini Dr, Hawkeye Dr, Badger Dr, Wildcat Pass, Nittany Way, Minnesota Ave, Buckeye Ct

Honest I had nothing to do with these -
    Breckenridge Dr
    Silverthorne Dr
    Cimarron Dr
    Sawmill Dr
    Vertigo Ct
    Crescendo Ct

A bit OT besides myself
    Q. Anybody else involved in assigning address numbers ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Addressing person works for me in my County....and I have no idea why.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Maple Systems Road

10 points to the person who gets the reference.

Dan: I like Edsal Dr. It's unique and defines where you live.

Elm Street is anywhere USA. I can handle tree named streets when used in conjunction with streets that I can identify with an area.

I live on Hanssler PL, used to live on MacQueen Ave.

I will avoid living on in a subdivision of _______woods. yeck.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Addressing person works for me in my County....and I have no idea why.
    I've handled addressing in my last two local government jobs. I hate roads that wind from a north/south orientation to the east/west and maintain the same name. These are addressing nightmares.

Registered
    Feb 2003

use some creativity for criminy sakes

Slightly OT: I cannot stand developments that use A, B, C etc. street names. That's just wrong.

Being from Detroit, I have particular affection for the mile roads, 'specially Seven Mile Road on the east side . But, roads with names such as 26 1/2 G Street (Grand Junction, CO) have just got to go.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There's a trailer park nearby with street names from the 1980's TV phenom tv show 'Dallas' has J.R. Road, Sue Ellen Street, South Fork Drive.

Hmmmm...... on a completely unrelated note, what if there was a redneck theme subdivision. They certainly exist in practice. Now if only one could come up with the right street names..........
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    All the streets are named after places in the Hobbit.
    We have a Lord of the Rings themed subdivsion. Gandalf, Shire, Rivendell, there all there. There is a quote by someone that talks about developments knocking down all the trees and then naming streets after them. We have tons of those as well. We also have a subdivsion sith street names of famous mountain ranges, construction toolsand winter olympic events. The worst street name in our city: Chism Way.

Draper Ut has a "Waynes World Boulevard"

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I've always gotten a kick out of how the same subdivision name can be repeated in different places and be for totally different types of development. Example, Whispering Meadows could be a high-end development in Chicago, and mid-range in Naples, FL and a mobile home park in Louisville.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I worked for an engineer designing subdivisions, and one developer couldn't give a whit about the names, and always told ME to make them up... so I did.

I did wild field grasses once, I did horse colors once, and I did one with trees... but like no other tree named s/d. My sister actually lives on "Golden Raintree Drive".

Then we had a developer that was absolutely ANAL about his names, but you could never contact the guy... So when a street name was tossed by the PC, I tried for weeks to get the guy to give me a new name... no luck. I named it after my kid. Man, was he pissed!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Chicago has a few well-known streets: Eirie, Huron, Ontario, Michigan, and Superior.

Out here in Colorado I have come across a 10½ Street, and Short Dirt Road. Very descriptive.

I actually like many of the traditional street names that are no longer in favor. Main, Elm, Railroad, Market, Washington, Lincoln, and the like have a time-tested quality. I once named a new street in a commercial district "Market Street."
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Here is how redneck/illiterate the place I currently live is. I live on a street that is pronounced like "ceilidh" but not spelled anywhere near it. Nice to know that their heritage is really important to them.

I'll take it all back if my street is named after someone.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    I supervise the person that assigns addresses... I only need to weigh in with an opinion occasionally.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I actually like many of the traditional street names that are no longer in favor. Main, Elm, Railroad, Market, Washington, Lincoln, and the like have a time-tested quality.
    I like street names that are associated with railroads. There's a lot of history in streets with names like Electric, Traction, Interurban and Telegraph.

Segue ...

Circlevile, Ohio has several streets named Hitler.

When I worked in New Mexico, developers would always try to get preliminary plats past us with Spanish profanities as street names - Calle de Los Pendejos, Avenida de Cabron, Calle de Chingadora, and so on.

Texas cities seem to have a lot of streets named after people, but with both first and last names. I think you can only encounter streets with names like "Elroy McCulberson Jr. Drive" in a Texas city.

I think the developer of the subdivision with the following street names has a great sense of humor.

Sea Horse Dr
    Skipper Dr
    Wharf Cove Dr
    Shoreline Dr
    Ebb Tide Dr
    Sea Side De
    Aquatic Dr
    Beachfront Dr
    Crater Lake Dr
    Seagull Dr
    Voyager Cove Dr
    Pink Coral Dr
    Cutty Sark Dr
    Wharf Code Dr
    Ebb Tide Dr
    Nautical Dr
    Shoreline Dr
    Skipper Dr
    Seabreeze Dr
    Sea Cove Dr
    Oceanside Dr
    Skipper Dr
    Sandcastle Ct
    Starfish Dr
    Pier Ln
    Long John Dr
    Lake Erie Dr
    Lake Geneve Dr
    Lake Michigan Dr

Why so strange? The streets are in the middle of EL PASO, TEXAS.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 09 Dec 2010, 10:14 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Nov 2008, 7:40 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Jan 2007, 1:25 PM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last post: 17 Sep 2005, 6:01 PM
  5. Replies: 1