Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: My Town

Registered
    Oct 2001

My Town

I was given a new toy-a 1 megapixel digital camera, so I took some quick shots last night while walking my dogs. Note the last part of the sentence: I have three very eager dogs, the camera is much clumsier to use than my 35 mm SLR, and it was rather late, so these aren't by any means ablarc quality photos.

(My townhouse in all its 1980 Architectural Glory. Still, it has a fantastic, quirky interior. Obviously built by some local guy, not an over-rational national homebuilder)

Last edited by BKM; 03 Aug 2004 at 1:52 PM.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    BKM:

You may want to visit skel's hotlinking thread for help in formatting your post.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11992
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    BKM:

You may want to visit skel's hotlinking thread for help in formatting your post.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11992
    Already caught the error (obviously) I forgot to copy the Gallery URL from the photo properties instead of from the browser window at the top.

For a little information about Vacaville: It is now a suburban town of 85,000 about 50 miles from San Francisco. Originally, it grew as a fruit growing and agribusiness processing town. The old downtown still retains a Victorian-to-1950s small farm town charm, that will be enhanced as the brand new town square project is completed this year. Buck Avenue is the old "Good Address" in town with mature trees, a range of interesting older (and newer) housing that includes mansions, bungalows, and period revival cottages. I am lucky enough to live two blocks from Buck Avenue.

It's not San Francisco or even Berkeley, but for a compromise, its not a bad place to live (except during the 105 degree heat waves the Sacramento Valley is prone to)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Nice M-3, BKM.

It looks like a nice comfortable place to live.

I hope you can share some more pics for us.

Get some SF pics next time you go. I'd like to see your pictorial perspective on SF neighborhoods.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Nice M-3, BKM.

It looks like a nice comfortable place to live.

I hope you can share some more pics for us.

Get some SF pics next time you go. I'd like to see your pictorial perspective on SF neighborhoods.
    Neighbor's M3, actually. I live next door (My Subaru WRX would probably give the M3 a run for its money, and it can carry three dogs and a bicycle )

To be honest, suburban single family development in California is not awe-inspiring. But, I intend to shoot some typical local housing eventually. I won't shoot strip malls, though. They look the same everywhere

Edit: Or did you mean "San Francisco"? If so, sure.

This camera was an inherited gimme from my generous sister, but I rpobably will buy a nice, full feature digital camera this year-with an SLR body and lenses.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    that is a good looking 'hood.

it apears to have quite a bit of character and charm, yet looks to be "real" and friendly.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by H
    that is a good looking 'hood.

it apears to have quite a bit of character and charm, yet looks to be "real" and friendly.
    Its very pleasant, has a true broad range of people, and is extremely safe (never any vandalism, let alone real crime). I am very lucky I got in when I did. A small cottage across the street from our townhouse complex (NOT on prestigious Buck Avenue) is now asking $400,000. Price inflation in California is ridiculous.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Edit: Or did you mean "San Francisco"? If so, sure.
    Yeah, San Francisco. I was being lazy and just used SF as initials.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    My townhouse in all its 1980 Architectural Glory. Still, it has a fantastic, quirky interior. Obviously built by some local guy, not an over-rational national homebuilder
    Hey BKM there appears to be some nice eucalypts (maybe nicholii sp.) planted in front of your townhouse. Did you personally smuggle these through customs or were they planted to keep the koalas alive. They go very well in a bushfire you know.

Thanks for the pics BTW.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rem
    Hey BKM there appears to be some nice eucalypts (maybe nicholii sp.) planted in front of your townhouse. Did you personally smuggle these through customs or were they planted to keep the koalas alive. They go very well in a bushfire you know.

Thanks for the pics BTW.
    The only wildlife are an ever-increasing feral cat colony. One former neighbor fed the darn things. I wouldn't mind so much, except cleaning up the results is gross-I feel like Sisyphus (sp?) Sadly enough, we have an injured cat hiding in our courtyard.

The Eucs are neat, but a mess. I really wonder how much longer we'll be able to keep them, as they are planted in narrow little "finger islands."

Registered
    Nov 2003
    BKM, What a plesant town you live in. I think it goes with your placid nature.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ablarc
    BKM, What a plesant town you live in. I think it goes with your placid nature.
    Sadly, too much of Vacaville is, to put it bluntly, awful. (Engineers+Planners+Commuting Population+Large Homebuilders=Meh)

Wow. I come across as "placid"? :/

I thought I came across as a bit of a ranter. And, justifications to the contrary, I spend a lot of time in the Bay Area's central cities. But, still, I guess I am cynical and somewhat lazy, so maybe that reflects in being placid.

Registered
    Nov 2003

Wow. I come across as "placid"? :/
    Maybe I should have said "pacific."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A small town that isn't a town
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 04 Aug 2010, 9:20 AM
  2. Replies: 3