Thread: Indianapolis: Little Mexico

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004

Indianapolis: Little Mexico

I have about 10 more pics to post.

Registered
    Feb 2003

your not 'official' yet, INDY

...the McD's billboard is still in english so it must still be in the early stages.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I think the current set of McDonalds ads say "I'm Lovin' It" in English all across the country, with any other text in the neighborhood's dominant language. But McDonalds billboards are certainly an indicator of neighborhood demographics; they tend to localize highly depending on where they are placed. For example, on the North Side of Chicago, the billboards advertising salads say "Three words: North Avenue Beach." On the South Side, they say "South Shore Beach." In predominantly Mexican neighborhoods, they say something different altogether.

Stylistically, the neighborhood seems to have a very hybrid quality to it. Parts of it (the church, the streetscape with the McDonalds billboard) suggest Chicago's Southwest Side, although the street with the bungalows on it could resemble a Chicago residential street (such as South California around 5200 S-6000 S) if the bungalows were brick rather than frame. Other parts (Plaza Durango, the section of the main street with Abarrotes Michoacana and Pasteleria Belen) suggest upstate New York, perhaps the Westcott neighborhood of Syracuse or parts of Middletown.

And there are so many names of Mexican states in this set of pictures (I count at least four) that I can't tell what region most of the Mexicans in Indianapolis are from. Would anyone happen to know?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Those pix do not depict a true Little Mexico...yet. An Hispanic neighborhood will be full of people--walking. The residential front porches and yards will be hosts to parties, cook-outs, and impromptu get-togethers. Retail areas will have places for the children to play and for the adults to socialize. Proprieters will live above the shops.

A Little Mexico will reflect most of the the tenents of New Urbanism.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    Except that it's not full of white people wearing kakis.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Thanks for the pics! I've always wondered what Indy looked like. Not much different from PA or OH.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    WAIT... McDonalds down there had Dr.Pepper! Lucky.

Parts of that could be Reading PA, but the buildings are too new, and the street signs are still in English.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    Those pix do not depict a true Little Mexico...yet. An Hispanic neighborhood will be full of people--walking. The residential front porches and yards will be hosts to parties, cook-outs, and impromptu get-togethers. Retail areas will have places for the children to play and for the adults to socialize. Proprieters will live above the shops.

Pics were taken on a miserable day, and it rained right after I finished taking pics.

I didn't get too many of the houses, and I didn't get to the area where the Catholic church is. Obviously, more Hispanics will attend Mass there.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Except that it's not full of white people wearing kakis.
    It's funny 'cause it's true.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Feb 2013, 9:07 PM
  2. Things to do in Indianapolis?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 21 Apr 2009, 9:19 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 Sep 2005, 6:30 PM
  4. Replies: 4