+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anderson, IN Crystal Arch

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Anderson, IN Crystal Arch

Local PBS station ran this program:

THE CRYSTAL ARCH PROJECT
    This video chronicles, from inception to completion, the creation of a commissioned art work, showing how one community comes together to make a vision a reality. Interviews with the artists, community craftspeople, manufacturers, and city officials are blended with scenes of the design and creation of the Crystal Arch, a crystal-glass archway in downtown Anderson, Indiana.
    Taken from cinemaguild.com

Q.
    1. Has anybody been to Anderson, IN to see it ?
    or
    2. or have seen this program ?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I have family in Anderson, but I have not been since 2000 and have not seen it. I will make a few calls and find out the dealio and report back. Maybe with pics.

EDIT: Actualy my dad is there right now. I'll give him a ring and request photos

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I have been to Anderson many times, but not since the arch was built.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Yep. A Crystal Arch is DEFINITELY what Anderson needed-not. That'll solve the problems of urban decline and corporate irresponsibility. (Ex-Hoosier from Fort Wayne here)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Well, my father (who is visiting his brother) just called me on his cell phone as he drove through downtown looking for the arch (because my relatives had not heard of it). He could not find it at first, but then he saw it. It was over a sidewalk in front of the city bldg. He said it looked nice, but would of driven right by it had I not been on the phone telling him what to look for. Here it tis (from a web photo):

As a side note, he said the rest of the downtown was in complete decay. There was a push a few years ago by a private company to build downtown housing, but it failed and the company has filed bankruptcy. There was a rest. downtown that was pretty neat last time I went...it is now vacant also.

sidenote: open rests. that I recommend include The Three Pigs and Abels. Furthermore, I recommend the Breaded Tenderloin. mmmmmmmm

Anderson has had many failed projects. The 'curving' of Madison Ave., River Walk, The downtown housing...

However, there is a very nice art museum in the old library http://www.andersonart.org,

the renovated Paramont Theatre,

a nice historic district on 8th street. I have a cousin that lives in a victorian house there and it is very cool. There is also a great YMCA downtown that has survived the city's decay.

The Colts used to practice at AU (think they still do? ) and that was nice. There is a killer speedway with "figure 8" racing which is soo bad @$$!! .

And there are a few nice golf courses Anderson Country Club and Edgewood Country Club in the Edgewood subdivision, my favorite design theory for a suburb, full of winding ways, individual architecture and plently of parks.

Anderson is a fading town. Beaten up by General Motors. My family has survived the decay so far and are mostly retired now, but most people in the town have not been so lucky... many jobs have been lost and many hard times have been seen.

Here is a good pic of the Skyline from White River:
    Last edited by H; 09 Aug 2004 at 4:08 PM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Here is a good pic of the Skyline from White River:
    Dang! I was saving that one for Guess the CityTM!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    Dang! I was saving that one for Guess the CityTM!
    Double dang! because I would of gotten it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Oct 2012, 3:34 PM
  2. From Arch to Planning.....
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Apr 2012, 1:06 PM
  3. M.S. Arch vs. M.Arch.
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Mar 2006, 7:42 AM