Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are M&Ms pushing the Republican agenda?

Registered
    Dec 2003

Are M&Ms pushing the Republican agenda?

This is somewhat tongue in cheek, but I was on the custom M&M website today and noticed what appeared to be a borderline subliminal attack on Democrats. Where they list what they do and do not allow to be printed on custom M&Ms, there was an M&M with "Vote Democrat" on it and next to it in big capital letters "NOT OK". Hmmm... so is Mars Inc. telling us that we should not vote for Democrats?

I realize they had to pick one party or the other (and they certainly couldn't choose Green since M&Ms regularly run candy color elections) but someone chose to put Democrat there instead of Republican/GOP. They could have used something like "Vote Bob Smith" as an example and other than a couple of Bob Smiths running for dog catcher around the country, it wouldn't have looked biased.

My serious (ok, semi-serious) take on this is that it wasn't a mistake but it isn't a statement from Mars either but rather the choice of someone in the internet promotions department of the company. Heck, there is currently a Fortune 50 company that sends out emails with the name of my college honor society embedded in it because internet developers are goofy and like to do things like that.

So, judge for yourself and next time you're eating a bag of M&Ms, see if they're secretly putting in more red (Republican) M&Ms than blue (Democrat) ones.

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Hmmmm

M&M... upside down are "W"s. One for each term he wins! :y

I wonder if the liberal party will force M&Mís to change the name of their product until mid November?
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    oppressors!
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I thought about writing an angry letter to Mars just to see if they would actually change that page to something other than Democrat. I'm torn... on one hand, I'm feeling lazy, on the other, I'm always up for messing around with a big corporation's collective brain.

I need motivation on this... someone find something bad about Mars/M&M so I can get fired up and send them a letter that would make proud those cranky old men who are always writing in to the editorial page of the local paper.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle
    I thought about writing an angry letter to Mars just to see if they would actually change that page to something other than Democrat. I'm torn... on one hand, I'm feeling lazy, on the other, I'm always up for messing around with a big corporation's collective brain.
    I think that you should change your name... when I was young I was swimming and as I was walking back to shore next to a dock I stepped on a snapping turtle and it bit off one of my toes. Therefore, I have a personal and justifiable hatred towards turtles... even when I see the word I get all tense, freeze up, and start to hyperventilate. I can not use cyburbia when I am at work because when I see your name, it causes me such emotional pain that I have to leave work.

I am just kidding...

Are you serious about changing the name of M&Mís
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Oh, I don't want them to change the name of M&Ms. I just want them to remove the "NOT OK" next to "Vote Democratic" M&M on their website. Not because I think it will have any effect on anyone's voting patterns, but just because I want to see if I can make Mars change their website due to a cranky letter that they think is serious.

At the same time I might see if I can't get a warning label places on some consumer good by writing in a complaint letter in which I misuse the product in some shockingly incorrect way.
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I can not use cyburbia when I am at work because when I see your name, it causes me such emotional pain that I have to leave work.
    The net police are watching you at work, so I'm actually saving your job by bringing back your painful memories.

I would ask for a percentage of your income in return for saving your job, but we all know planners don't make much money.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 11 Aug 2004 at 7:01 AM.

Registered
    Nov 2001

Huh?!?

You obviously have too much time on your hands. Contrary to what you may have been spoon-fed by Brokaw and Jennings, the Republican Party and its "cronies" are not out to oppress you. Besides, the Al Gore never had this in mind when he invented the internet to solve the world's ills...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Apr 2003
    How about having Vote Commie next to Not OK?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Commie is too passe. It's like having a "Russia Sucks" bumper sticker on your car today.

Now, "Not OK: Vote Whig" would be something.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Texas Agenda 21 frenzy
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Aug 2012, 3:57 PM
  2. Sprawl Agenda 21?
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 20 Jun 2012, 2:06 PM
  3. Down with UN Agenda 21
    Friday Afternoon Club