Urban planning community

Poll results: Where will you be on the Fifth of July?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm Canadian/European/low man on totem pole - so I'm stuck behind my desk

9 45.00%
  • Taking a long weekend using vacation time

4 20.00%
  • Our office is closed down, baby!

2 10.00%
  • Other - which I'm delighted to explain below.

4 20.00%
  • I'm tranplanner and still on strike.

1 5.00%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Happy Fifth of July!!!

Registered
    Oct 2000

Happy Fifth of July!!!

Big article in our local paper about how many government workers are taking Friday off. So where will you be on July 5?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Im a graci0us boss

Our offices are officially open on the 5th, and all of my staffers wanted long weekends, so I'm staying behind to hold down the fort and accept all those down-to-the-wire submittals for our next Plan Commission meeting.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Too much work to do, and for some reason my experience here with what I call "hanging holidays" is that they're very busy. I'll be at work.

Next Friday, though, I'm taking off. I have a room on Annamaria Island, on the ocean. A few books, and that's it. Dogs at day care for the weekend, and the computer stays at home.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Boss is on vacation...

...so I'm here. If it's anything like today....it'll be a loooooonnnnggg quiet day. I should actually get quite a bit done between today and Friday.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Damn! Everyone in my office is off except me and the building inspector. I didn't get my time off request in early enough, so I will get to sit around and attempt to work while many people are enjoying thier long weekend. It sucks! Nobody comes in on the 5th of July and not much work gets done, so why not give us workers a break? They do it for Thanksgiving.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm taking some of that lovely comptime. On the Fifth I have about 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 I need to expend before their Freshness Date passes.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I've already had my long weekend. Spent it up north with my fiancees folks - golfing, swimming, BBQing, wedding planning.

I'm not on strike yet - but I've just heard that the union has set a new deadline of midnight tonight.

Maybe if we had a North American union we could get the whole week off...July 1-4 or something. One big honking patriotic party.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Puppy day care! ?! Mine would be-LIVID with me!

Hope you bring them back some new toys or that you dont mind something you love being made into a new dog toy...

Enjoy!

Me, Ill be sitting right here, board out of my mind, day dreaming of someone and wishing they would hurry home from the beach.

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Like Tranplanner, just had my long weekend, with an extra day at the end....I needed it. We sent out 8100 surveys about 3 weeks ago and I am compiling the results. Luckily, or unluckily, only about 500 people have responding so far...despite the fabulous weekend get-away prize draw!....

As for puppy day-care, it's the best thing since sliced bread. Maggie was finding the house a little lonely, and tasty (esp. the window frames), while we were at work so now she is spoiled with 3 days a week at daycare where she gets to play all day. By the time she gets home she is so exhausted she can barely keep her head up. A much happier dog!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Up on the high lakes...

I'll be at Crescent Lake, at around 5000 feet. Great fishing, boating, hiking... you name it.

I had to go up last night to get a good site, and stayed until 4:30 a.m., then drove back down the mountain to shower and come to work! I suspect I'll be sneaking out a tad early to get back up there. Can you blame me?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centralorego...escentlake.htm
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2000
    1. LOVE the doggie daycare. Once, while living in SC, I left Parker in doggie daycare while I went home to NY. When I went to pick her up, she didn't even want to come with me - and then she was SO exhausted that night from chasing the 8 other dogs around.

2. We're going to Narangansett, RI. Three days of deep sea fishing, squid fishing, clam digging, horse shoes and all you can eat sea food. yum!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'll be working. The higher ups have already taken the day off and someone has to be here in full office drag -- tie and no sneakers. And it's hot around here! Oh well if I had the day off I'd only have to work on the house.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    All of the government offices are closed on Friday - state and local. It doesn't mean squat to us poor private sector employees but after the boss granted everyone who requested Friday off - all but one person - he decided to close the office. Unfortunately, we are still forced to use our vacation time. Oh well, c'est la vie

Registered
    Oct 2001

Weekend

Re: Doggie Day Care.

My one dog Max would try to fight every big dog in the complex.

I had to drop off a Grant Application on Monday, so I took the rest of the day off-that's my three day weekend. Not being every efficient today, though (Please no rants from Mugwump).

Unfortunately, the State capital, Sacramento, was 102 degrees. Not that enjoyable a day

Registered
    Oct 2001

In his honor~!

I'm going to write Mugwumps name in the sand Friday while I am cheating the Taxpayers out of a fair day's wage!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    So bturk, what is wrong with us? It appears many posters have to work Friday because the higher ups are taking the day off. But we are working so the our employees can have a long weekend.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I'll be working cause my assistant quit and left town, another person has tickets for a Cards game, so I am working....trying to hire another assistant.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Mugwump

El Guapo, that would make a great animated GIF

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I am at home today, on my way out to the beach - going for bloody marys on the way. Have a good day at work!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Who is taking Fri July 5th off ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 05 Jul 2013, 9:45 AM
  2. 4th of July
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 05 Jul 2011, 7:52 PM
  3. July 4, 1976 - Where Were You?
    Friday Afternoon Club