Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Impressions of John Kerry's Con Speech.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Your Impressions of John Kerry's Con Speech.

John Says: "Help is on the way"

I can't see how he is going to provide all the entitlements he just promised every swinging Richard in the country without screwing people in my tax bracket and even further into the lower middle class. Watch out - the middle class is about to be shrunk to make the math work. Libs - you went way too far to the left this time.

"Reporting for Duty"
    The Democrats see this:

Registered
    Aug 2001
    what do you expect when you swing the pendulum so far right? it's a matter of fiziks. why shouldn't a candidate INSPIRE others that we can do better...i don't see any entitlements there...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Is that Van-Hagar I'm hearing? Sweet. I'm voting Democrat, well...unless Bush lands the Indigo Girls...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Is that Van-Hagar I'm hearing? Sweet. I'm voting Democrat, well...unless Bush lands the Indigo Girls...
    It soundz like U2 to me, I got a phone poll tonight it was all about should the government help the working poor...

my mind is made up, Michigan Planners vote Aug 3!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'll give it an A-.

I think Kerry nailed it dead-on. Very positive, few empty platitudes, and quite a bit of substance; a lot you could sink your teeth into. IT was inspired and to the point. Those in the media who say it's the best speech they've seen at a convention in recent memory ... I'm with them. He really sounded presidential. He's got the fire.

Kerry's speech was more aggressive than I expected towards Bush. He pretty much out and out called Bush a liar. He also took some nice little shots at Cheney, Rummy and Ashcroft.

Quote Originally posted by John Kerry
    I want to address these next words directly to President George W. Bush ... let's never misuse for political purposes the most precious document in American history, the Constitution of the United States.
    Another good line was when Kerry said we need a president who believes in science. FINALLY. Bring on the stem cells, baby!.

He didn't seem as electrifying as Clinton or Al Sharpton, but it was a meaty speech, and any doubts about his being stiff and remote, like Al Gore, should be thrown out the window..

How to pay for the programs he's proposed? That's for another thread, but I think it can be done. Consider how much we're spending in Iraq, for instance.

I don't know how Bush is going to match it. I envision lots of empty flag-waving and references to middle America, "values", fear of terror, "freedom", and God.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    B+.... I know they really wanted to hammer home his military service... to get "those" voters...but it was a bit much for me. In any event... he is a better speaker than Gore or Bush. A speach doesn't sway my vote in any event. I will watch Bush speak as well,,, even though I wouldn't vote for him ..ever.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    B-. Ok speech, but he really benefits from low expectations.

Yes, i think he did come across as Presidential, as a reasonable alternative.

But the "Help is on the way" stuff is truely lame.

The American people really do have two distinct choices.

I think Bush has to overcome the concerns we all may have about the reason for the war, but I see him a fundamentally honest.

Kerry is a dullard, arrogant, pompous.

We will see.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I'm screwed either way. I can't win.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I didn't watch and I didn't listen. Convention speaches just don't do it for me anymore; I prefer action over oratory.

In the news recaps this morning, though, I did hear of his challenge to Bush/Cheney to run a positive campaign.

Like that's ever gonna happen.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u
    I don't know, after watching President Kerry's speech last night, it became clear to me that W has always been a condescending simpleton.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    I'm screwed either way. I can't win.

You're Candian?

Serisouly. I give it a B+. Ditch the Help is on the way.

I agree with Dan - he did look presidential. He can play the part. And in a battle of first ladies, I'll take that saucy Theresa over Laura any day

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'll have to give it an A-. It was a very substantive speech and Kerry did look very presidential, as well as very Botoxed. I have to echo everyone elses comment that they need to scrap the 'Help is on the way" slogan. Very, very lame and hackneyed.

Quote Originally posted by Chet
    And in a battle of first ladies, I'll take that saucy Theresa over Laura any day.
    I'll second that. My wife, who has very little interest in politics, has become a big Teresa Heinz fan. To quote, she said that Teresa was "attractive, poised and (a less appropriate term for bold)."

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    To quote, she said that Teresa was "attractive, poised and (a less appropriate term for bold)."
    Does it staret with a "C" and end with a "Y"?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Does it staret with a "C" and end with a "Y"?
    No gutterboy. More like starts with a "B" and ends with a "Y" and that she "doesn't seem to take any [guff]."
    Last edited by biscuit; 30 Jul 2004 at 11:11 AM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Didn't watch, as I hate rah-rah events of any kind. I am not too inspired by Kerry, but I fall solidly in the "ABB" camp (Anybody But Bush), so I'll vote for him.

As exhausted and bereft of ideas modern American "liberalism" is, I'll still take it over the Imperial Theocratic Empire promised by Hezbollah (The Party of God-which is what the GOP is). I mean, Jerry Falwell is giving the Convention Prayer? Puhlease!

Even if, horrors, it means I can't drive my Hummer to the 4,000 square foot tract mansion in the exurbs, I don't believe their Empire is worth the price. We need a Cato.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I think Kerry did a terrific job and made a better speech than Edwards the night before. No one tops Clinton's abiltiy to electrify any type of crowd. Expectations were low on the speech, but he was expected to lay out his biography and make good case of why Bush should lose his job. I think he did it and I hope all 18 undecided Americans out there watched it, too.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Incomplete.

Didn't watch - didn't care to or need to.

He's already got my vote; I definitely fall into the "anyone but Bush" contingency.

Kerry is altogether uninspiring but (IMHO) Bush is a total disaster on all issues.

Shrinking middle class, you say? Would Kerry continue to promote the vast discrepency between CEO salaries and the average workers' salaries? I, for one, don't believe it. Will Kerry continue to let college tuition skyrocket so that only the rich kids get to land sweet jobs in this country without a six-figure debt hanging around their neck? Don't buy that one either.

We're safer now that Sadam is gone? Nope, not even close on that one.

Paperless voting records? Hmmm, Bush is a big supporter of this. Think Kerry wants to be able to verify the voting records - I, for one, think he does.

So, for me, the right wing pundits can clammor all they want about Kerry being dangerous, and misrepresenting his war record, and his zealousness to raise taxes.
    Although Kerry is average at best, his faith and ideologies will not dictate his policy and that's enough for me to shut the damn TV off, keep talking to family and friends about the important issues at-hand, and try to remain optimistic about November.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oh...so that's her name.....

You're Candian?

Serisouly. I give it a B+. Ditch the Help is on the way.

I agree with Dan - he did look presidential. He can play the part. And in a battle of first ladies, I'll take that saucy Theresa over Laura any day
    The first lady is named Laura? Would never have known it..... You know those 1950's housewives really keep to themselves and don't get out much....

The speech was very good for Kerry. W will lose just like daddy did......I hope.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u
    B-. Ok speech, but he really benefits from low expectations.

Yes, i think he did come across as Presidential, as a reasonable alternative.

But the "Help is on the way" stuff is truely lame.

The American people really do have two distinct choices.

I think Bush has to overcome the concerns we all may have about the reason for the war, but I see him a fundamentally honest.

We will see.

Intersting observation. I preceive Bush as fundamentally dishonest and a bit full of himself. Bush is 100% for the rich people and not interested in the middle class.

I see Kerry as having an understanding of and appreciation of the middle class. He was getting shot at in Vietnam and served with a group of ordinary people, I think those types of experiences change a person for life. I like Kerry i think he would be much better for the country than Bush.

I truely am concerned about how divided we have become, not only the pro-Kerrys vs pro-Bushs, but the distance between the rich and not so rich and poor. If you are lucky enoght to have a college education and a job, you probably are making enough money to get by, send your kids to college( maybe with help of a few loans) and if you are in that millionare class you can do whatever you want. If you are poor you have almost no chance to escape.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I heard the speech on the radio, and I realize the full effect is lost if I don't see it, but I'd say it was a B or B+.

While Kerry made red-meat promises to the left, the speech seemed more to me to be a run to the center. Kerry wants to eliminate any doubt about his commitment to completing the war effort and making us secure at home, and that's geared to the 5-10% of undecideds and independents left out there.

He fought in Vietnam, he can be strong on the war and homeland security, and the flag can't be co-opted. Those seem to be the biggest messages I got. Did he relate almost everything to his Vietnam experience?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by chrisinmd
    Intersting observation. I preceive Bush as fundamentally dishonest and a bit full of himself. Bush is 100% for the rich people and not interested in the middle class.

I see Kerry as having an understanding of and appreciation of the middle class. He was getting shot at in Vietnam and served with a group of ordinary people, I think those types of experiences change a person for life. I like Kerry i think he would be much better for the country than Bush.

I truely am concerned about how divided we have become, not only the pro-Kerrys vs pro-Bushs, but the distance between the rich and not so rich and poor. If you are lucky enoght to have a college education and a job, you probably are making enough money to get by, send your kids to college( maybe with help of a few loans) and if you are in that millionare class you can do whatever you want. If you are poor you have almost no chance to escape.
    I doubt that Kerry cares that much about the little man, he is a plutocrat who married into even more money.

But still, to the charges about "limousine liberals" Better a limousine liberal than some CEO who thinks only about enriching himself and his friends. And, no I no longer believe that what the CEO class does is necessarily the best for the country.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    If I could give it a Q I would... for just Quit the speech!

Right from the start, crowd clapping, crowd clapping. If I heard "thank you" one more time, I was going to scream. It became obvious that he was getting peeved, and I think that was only his first mistake. Then to make things worse, he pulls that corny "reporting for duty" nonsense just to get the crowd worked up again.

I love how he is trying to play both sides of the military thing. He is this great war hero because he spend a few months in a war that he opposed. Now he wants to get more countries involved and end the war in Iraq... WHAT DOES HE THINK THAT W HAS BEEN DOING? He is going to restore respect to the office... he might want to pick a side and stay there. *I think that next week, he will be come a 'conservative liberal'

as for the "Help is on the way" I want to kick his a$$ in a bar fight for being so freaking stupid.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I couldn't stay awake for the speech last night, but what I heard on NPR this morning sounded great. I'm glad he mentioned the fact that the national debt was under control until Dubya came into office. This is something people seem to have forgotten. Fiscal conservatives should be real unhappy with Bush.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Does anyone else think these conventions are a massive waste of taxpayers' money? I understand that they have to formally endorse the candidates and give a few key speaches, but both parties always talk about saving the taxpayers money while they put on these grand parties for a total of 8 days.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    If I could give it a Q I would... for just Quit the speech!

Right from the start, crowd clapping, crowd clapping. If I heard "thank you" one more time, I was going to scream. It became obvious that he was getting peeved, and I think that was only his first mistake. Then to make things worse, he pulls that corny "reporting for duty" nonsense just to get the crowd worked up again.

I love how he is trying to play both sides of the military thing. He is this great war hero because he spend a few months in a war that he opposed. Now he wants to get more countries involved and end the war in Iraq... WHAT DOES HE THINK THAT W HAS BEEN DOING? He is going to restore respect to the office... he might want to pick a side and stay there. *I think that next week, he will be come a 'conservative liberal'

as for the "Help is on the way" I want to kick his a$$ in a bar fight for being so freaking stupid.

Well, first of all, there will be many "thank yous" issued by W when they GOP has their bruhaha in NYC--believe you me. I don't see the point in criticizing politeness and a generally enthused crowd--that's what they're there for, to get riled up! And the Republicans will do the same thing. Nuf said.

The Kerry/Edwards campaign is playing up the fact that Kerry actually went to war for his country, unlike our current President. Furthermore, he is a war hero because he saved lives of other soldiers during Vietnam. I don't care who you are or what you do, if you save a life, you're a worthy, decent person in my eyes and, in the time of war, you're a hero.

Secondly, I would imagine it would take a lot of guts and a pure, unadulterated love for ones country to go fight for something that you don't support. But you go because your fellow countrymen are there too and you're an American and it's what you have to do. I can't speak for anyone else, and certainly not for any guys who are of the age for selective service, but I wouldn't want to go to Iraq right now--would you?

And Dubya hasn't been able to get any other countries to help us with the war in Iraq because he has alientated the world, practically. Why? Because he entered into the war in Iraq not because they attacked us, not because there were weapons of mass destruction, but because he had unfinished business--his father's unfinished business. This is a war for oil and the Bush family and their business interests have been profitting from every American and Iraqi death since it begain in March 2003.

And, if you listened to the pure content of Sen. Kerry's speech, you'd know he defined exactly what he's about--his platform and, in my opinion, it differs greatly from that of the President. I just don't see how anyone, Republican, Democrat, Independent, Green, or anything could be supportive of an incumbent administration that has done nothing but blatantly lie to the American and global community.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Dec 2009, 8:39 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Aug 2005, 7:53 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 07 Jun 2005, 2:42 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Mar 2005, 9:40 AM
  5. Grand Rapids, MI - your impressions?