Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Coming

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hurricane Coming

Message to Richmond Jake and to H and Mrs H:
    Hurricane coming in the Hurricane State.
    Wanted to particularly warn Richmond Jake cause this is his first hurricane.
    Here is Sisterceleste's Survival Kit.
    First of all you need all the stuff they say you need, batteries, flashlight and a thousand cans of tuna.
    But here is my specialized list:
    If you are going to a shelter be sure to take an air mattress and sleeping bag, ear plugs and a mask to cover your eyes cause they never turn the lights off at the shelters (as long as there is electricity, some are on generators)..
    Forget reading if there is no electricity. Take playing cards and board games to keep yourself occupied.
    If you are going to brave it and stay at home particularly with a significant other, there are things you can do that you normally do at night but remember there is no air condiioning. Once again playing cards and board games help past the time.
    I invite others to add to my specialized list for occupying ones time during a hurricane and the time afterwards with no electricity.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Thanks. I have my eye on these things. Mrs. H is in Tally. I am in Central Fla. until Sat.

I will add a good stock of wine and some tequila to the list.
    Last edited by H; 11 Aug 2004 at 1:12 PM.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    [QUOTE=sisterceleste. Take playing cards and board games to keep yourself occupied.
    .[/QUOTE]

Get extra "AA" batteries for your kid's Game Boy and then play that. You don't need electricity and it's easier than other games to play by candlelight.

Don't forget the manual can opener.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks for this tips, sisterceleste. Lastest tracking shows it passing directly over my city. I'm not in an evac zone (this thing's not big enough). If I did, I'd be going to my boss's house...no public shelter for this kid. Went to Publix after work yesterday and left with all the beer, wine, and bottled water I could fit in my pick up...oh yea, and a bag of potato chips. That should get me through a couple days. BTW, I hate canned tuna.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    umm sounds odd but be sure you have TP, well for the obvious reasons and its good to clean up other messes. Or baby wipes work well.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I was living in South Florida when Andrew hit. If you have pets make sure to store enough water for them and get extra food. May sound silly but have a manual can opener as I've known many people to have tons of can food and only an electric can opener.

I second PG's TP recommendation.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I wish my Floridian neighbors the best of luck with the imminent storms. Even though we are 2 months into the hurricane season, things don't really pick up until Sept/Oct. when the more severe storms are likely to occur. Of all the hurricane-prone areas, I think the New Orleans area is one of the most vunerable. Being 3 feet below sea level and built like a bowl, massive flooding is a definite from a direct hit from a Category 3 and above storm. I really HATE hurricane season.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    umm sounds odd but be sure you have TP
    That doesn't sound odd at all...I'm a real fan of TP...I always have extra.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    That doesn't sound odd at all...I'm a real fan of TP...I always have extra.
    Tranplanner has special hurricane powers? Who'dathunkit

Seriously, a radio and cell phone would be wise to have. If you are on any meds, be sure to take a decent supply.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Tranplanner has special hurricane powers? Who'dathunkit

Seriously, a radio and cell phone would be wise to have. If you are on any meds, be sure to take a decent supply.
    A FULLY-CHARGED cell phone would be even better to have. Also, access to a regular, old-fashioned phone (not cordless). When power goes out, cordless phones are absolutely useless.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Tranplanner has special hurricane powers?
    Why else would there not have been a hurricane in these parts for many a year

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Oh, and go out and buy the biggest kite that you can get your hands on. Oh and a wind mill. (no use letting all that good wind go to waste!)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2003
    If you're a surfer, I bet the waves are going to be terrific!

Planderella -- Have you heard the theory (storm surge eliminating) marshland around New Orleans is disappearing due to offshore oil drilling in the gulf? The theory is that it is causing the delta to subside, which is killing off the marsh grass. It sounds pretty plausable to me.

Habanero -- That can opener thing is hilarious. Had they kicked the can for that, it would have surely been a darwin.

It sure is a pity we don't get any proper storms around here. The last tornado was in the '70s, and was considered to be a freak, thanks to the lake effect.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Here's the non-funny part. I have a 1/2 acre lot with about 30 pine trees from 60' to 80' in height. I'm vamoosing ASAP. I spent this evening, with the son, cleaning out the carport, storing stuff on the screened-in porch, then boxing up all our photos, his plaques, etc, and hauling them to a friend's house. Tomorrow we pack up our clothes, pet stuff, 5 pets, insurance papers, etc., and hit the road. Not fun, packing up the things in your house that mean the most. Big winds, big trees, bye-bye house. And now the poor little guy is having to do his homework.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste
    If you are going to brave it and stay at home particularly with a significant other, there are things you can do that you normally do at night but remember there is no air condiioning.
    LOL

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Tomorrow we pack up our clothes, pet stuff, 5 pets, insurance papers, etc., and hit the road.
    Take care ZG, we will be thinking of you!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ZG, the best to you and your son...stay out of harms way. I'm thinking about you two.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Mr. Sisterceleste is staying home today to clean up the yard, tie down the trampoline, etc. We have great big live oaks in our yard and worry about them falling on the house. We will make the decision to go or to stay most likely this early evening depending on projected wind speeds. My husband works for a community college and they have a shelter at the school for just faculty and families which is nicer than the public shelters. The big worry is the daughter in Tallahasse is suppose to come home this weekend and dodge two storms getting here.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Now there are two storms? Man I am happy I live in Michigan. Best of luck, be safe, and enjoy.

Off-topic:
    how many kids do you think where conceived during hurricanes?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb

Planderella -- Have you heard the theory (storm surge eliminating) marshland around New Orleans is disappearing due to offshore oil drilling in the gulf? The theory is that it is causing the delta to subside, which is killing off the marsh grass. It sounds pretty plausable to me.
    I agree that it is plausible. There are a lot of things that are making southeast Louisiana more susceptible to catastrophic flooding - eroding coastline, development of the barrier islands, etc. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My county closed its offices for today but 'ol Bonnie is hitting landfall east of me. Got to sleep in this morning and drink beer for breakfast. Mostly sunny skies where I am. Best of luck to the folks east of me....stay safe.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    We just anounced that we are closed tomorrow, so that makes today my official last day of work.

I'll write from Tally!

Cheers & be safe fellow Floridians!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by H
    We just anounced that we are closed tomorrow, so that makes today my official last day of work.

I'll write from Tally!

Cheers & be safe fellow Floridians!
    Good for you, H. Be careful and drive safely.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    [QUOTE=RichmondJake]Got to sleep in this morning and drink beer for breakfast. [QUOTE]

[pout]

Why cant I have a hurricane!

[/pout]

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We found out at 4:45 today that we are closed tomorrow, as are the public schools. My 88-year-old mom decided she's not going anywhere, even though I made plans for us to stay with friends. Since as of now, the hurricane seems to be veering west, I dropped my son at a friend's safe house. I'll stay with Mom tomorrow but if the storm turns and it's past tropical storm mph, we're leaving. Being a native, I've been thru these (a week cooking over Sterno, no A/C in summer, etc.), as has Mom, but it's been 40 years since a major storm hit our area.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    ..the hurricane seems to be veering west....
    No, say it ain't so..... :-C I haven't been here long enough!!!!....but then again, I won't be driving on snow or ice this fall/winter/spring....lmao...you and family take care.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hurricane Ivan
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 58
    Last post: 01 Oct 2004, 2:17 PM
  2. Nuke a Hurricane?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Sep 2004, 8:47 AM
  3. Hurricane pics