Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hurricane Coming

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    No, say it ain't so..... :-C I haven't been here long enough!!!!....but then again, I won't be driving on snow or ice this fall/winter/spring....lmao...you and family take care.
    So far, it's not going far enuf west to hit your area, so you can enjoy your day off tomorrow (you do get the day off, right?). I meant making landfall at Tampa and going over Jax, instead of landfall at Venice, and over Orlando before exiting.

Keep Trail Nazi in mind, she and Baby Mac are to arrive in the Jacksonville area this weekend so she can start her new job Monday.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    No, say it ain't so..... :-C I haven't been here long enough!!!!....but then again, I won't be driving on snow or ice this fall/winter/spring....lmao...you and family take care.
    You could always go with the logic of Garp ("The world according to Garp" -- Robbin Williams movie) when he decided to buy the house that the plane crashed into when they were there to see it on the theory that it had been "pre-disastered". I mean, clearly, if your time in Florida is starting out with one of the worst storms in 40 years, things should be good to go for a few decades. Right? :-S :-C

AKA "No place to go from here but Up."

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    You could always go with the logic of Garp ("The world according to Garp" -- Robbin Williams movie) when he decided to buy the house that the plane crashed into when they were there to see it on the theory that it had been "pre-disastered". I mean, clearly, if your time in Florida is starting out with one of the worst storms in 40 years, things should be good to go for a few decades. Right? :-S :-C

AKA "No place to go from here but Up."
    Good point, and why most of us still live here! I like the "pre-disastered" concept.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    So far, it's not going far enuf west to hit your area, so you can enjoy your day off tomorrow (you do get the day off, right?). I meant making landfall at Tampa and going over Jax, instead of landfall at Venice, and over Orlando before exiting.

Keep Trail Nazi in mind, she and Baby Mac are to arrive in the Jacksonville area this weekend so she can start her new job Monday.
    No, dam it, I'm working tomorrow. Geez, I wish the best for TN and family...hopefully Charlie will be long gone before they get here.

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    ...."No place to go from here but Up."
    Now for you.....you've said it all again. Thanks

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I have a 1/2 acre lot with about 30 pine trees from 60' to 80' in height.
    Completely anecdotal: during Hugo, the pine trees tended to snap off 15-20 feet off the ground, so that they did not have as much force when they hit (one hit our house)...other trees (esp. live oaks) were much more destructive.

We're getting inundated by the remains of Bonnie now, waiting for Charley tomorrow night (it should be weakened by being overland for quite a while before it reaches here, if it does). I'm not worried about winds, just about flooding, as we had rain yesterday, Bonnie today, and Charley tomorrow.

To everyone in Charley's direct path: good luck, stay safe and dry, we'll be thinking about you!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    What a **** of a weekend for me to move home. Good luck all. I'll be stuck with the remanents of the storms no matter where I am.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    What a **** of a weekend for me to move home. Good luck all. I'll be stuck with the remanents of the storms no matter where I am.
    You can say that again. I'm sitting here at 5 am this morning to hear the latest update so we can start figuring what to do. Could not sleep knowing the next big news would come at 5. If we go, I have to figure out what to do with the pets.
    Well, the stupid news told me nothing new. So, I'll just have some more coffee at the moment.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    be safe guys, Im pretty worried about my sister in Naples, she is young and dumb etc etc and the old fart dad is in Daytona so I think he will be ok.

Damn it I have that Disney trip in 32 days.

TN be safe, you and that cutie-pi baby ok?

*hugs*
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste
    You can say that again. I'm sitting here at 5 am this morning to hear the latest update so we can start figuring what to do. Could not sleep knowing the next big news would come at 5. If we go, I have to figure out what to do with the pets.
    Well, the stupid news told me nothing new. So, I'll just have some more coffee at the moment.
    All the best to you and hubby. Stay low.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    We will probably see lots of rain later today in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area but looks like Tampa will get the brunt of it.
    I'm glad I moved last weekend instead of tomorrow!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    This is my final communication before leaving for the shelter. (Does that sound serious or not...understand its hard for me to be serious.) Pets are taken care of. House is as ready as its going to get. I'll touch base once its over.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    May 2003
    My boss is supposed to leave on a cruise from Tampa on Saturday. He started driving down there yesterday.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Good luck Dloridians - he was just upgraded to a cat 4 and is tracking to make a mess all the way up the coast at reduced strengths....

Looks like we will all be paying to rebuild all those million dollar Yuppie McMansions on Sanibel Island.

If there ever was a time to end FEMA subsidies, it's right now. I don't want to pay for some elitist A-Hole to build and even bigger McMansion only to have it blown down again (and paid for again) a few years later.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh man, o man, any one know any hurricane jokes? keep those handi cams rolling you could be the next guest of Jim Santori!

Hoping none of ya'll blow away seriously! Im glad to be in michigan I don't miss those b*st*rd storms.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    If there ever was a time to end FEMA subsidies, it's right now. I don't want to pay for some elitist A-Hole to build and even bigger McMansion only to have it blown down again (and paid for again) a few years later.
    What we need is:

1) disaster relief for the people that really need it like Nerudite (yes I know she's ina different country)

2) insurance comanies that cover what they rightfully should, evenif it means higher premiums for everyone (OMG that.... sounded....like.... democrat.... must stop.... now....)

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Hurricane Ivan
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 58
    Last post: 01 Oct 2004, 3:17 PM
  2. Nuke a Hurricane?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Sep 2004, 9:47 AM
  3. Hurricane pics