Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rigors of Private Planning Practice #9: Marketing

Rigors of Private Planning Practice #9: Marketing

How many of you who are in private practice are involved in some way in business development or marketing for your firm? Even more specifically, how many of you are responsible to a certain degree for creating your own work? Or does upper or middle management simply assign you projects to work on?

I am responsible in large part for justifying my own existence within the firm. Here is my quandry. None of my planning courses related to marketing planning services in the private sector. In addition, it does not appear that APA has much information on successful marketing techniques. Maybe the throbbing brian can help me with some general ideas on effective ways to market planning services. What do you say guys and gals?
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Join many professional organizations and speak at every possible conference.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 1997
    Networking is the key. You have to be at every relevant professional meeting, at conferences for elected officials, etc. It can also be successful to get a marketing budget from the boss (since I was always my own boss, I could do that) and set up a training program featuring information on one of your firm's specialties. You have to promote it vigorously, of course, and get it certified for continuing education credits, but it can help you meet a lot of folks in an environment you control and highlight what you can do.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    In my office, some of us are really good at making small talk, networking, public speaking, etc. Others are better at writing proposals or designing marketing materials.

We try to allow people to participate in marketing according to their strengths. That's not to say that there aren't opportunities to work on their skills, but I think people feel more comfortable contributing what they can.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Feb 2008, 7:30 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Jan 2005, 3:13 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Jul 2004, 1:45 PM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last post: 21 May 2004, 10:44 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2004, 4:48 PM