Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Da Vinci Code...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Da Vinci Code...

I am about half way though reading the Da Vinci Code right now, and I am impressed with the book. It makes some bold statements, and I am wondering how much is true, and how much is just fiction.

Have you read the book, and if so, what are your thoughts on it, and how much do you feel is true?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I am about half way though reading the Da Vinci Code right now, and I am impressed with the book. It makes some bold statements, and I am wondering how much is true, and how much is just fiction.
    I'm avoiding it, mostly because it seems like every woman on match.com claims that the last book they read was the DiVinci Code. Seems like a new cliche akin to walks on a moonlit beach.

I think the presence of the book, though, has sparked my interest in early Christianity, especially the changes that took place resulting from the First Council of Nicea.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 1997
    Dan, are spending too much time on match.com? The women who are actually walking on the beach in the moonlight rather than fantasizing about it, are not on-line.

As for the Da Vinci Code, I enjoyed it immensely, also Angels and Demons. It is not hard to find literature that's been around for years that confirms at least part of the ideas he is playing with. There are now even some books out, based on the popularity of the novel, that sum it all up.
    Last edited by Lee Nellis; 12 Aug 2004 at 8:52 AM. Reason: revised thought

Registered
    May 2003
    As I understand it, the facts in Da Vinci Code are pretty dodgy. There've been books that disceted it from historical, theological, and scientific perspectives but I can't remember what they're called.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The book is a work of fiction based on some historical facts. As with most books of this genre, some facts got distorted in the process.

Still, I found it an enjoyable read and look forward to the movie.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

I agree with SGB, it is a work of fiction and a really enjoyable read. If you like the DaVinci Code check out Angels and Demons by the same author. IMO it is 10x better than DaVinci Code. It is all about the Illuminati, the Masons and the struggle between science and religion. Fantastic Read.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I read it and enjoyed it. If you just take it at face value--- a suspenseful story with good characters and side lessons on Western art and culture-- then it's kind of fun to read.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by jestes
    I agree with SGB, it is a work of fiction and a really enjoyable read. If you like the DaVinci Code check out Angels and Demons by the same author. IMO it is 10x better than DaVinci Code. It is all about the Illuminati, the Masons and the struggle between science and religion. Fantastic Read.
    I agree - I really liked DaVinci Code, but LOVED Angels and Demons.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    I agree - I really liked DaVinci Code, but LOVED Angels and Demons.
    Ditto. Wish I had a copy of Angels and Demons, I'd re-read it during tomorrow's hurricane.

The author has a third book, can't remember the name, but it was not of a similar theme and was pretty boring.

Get the e-book version

I, like many others, found Angels $ Demons to be AWESOME, not to say DaVinci code wasn't amazing as well. As pointed out by others, the book is fiction, but it does make you look at a lot of renaissance art in quite a different way, particularly the portrait of the "Last Supper", and the "Mona Lisa". The truth is, the Holy Grail is in my closet

On the other hand, I didn't like "Digital Fortress". I found it quite silly.

For those interested in the illuminati - masons connection, I recommend the Illuminatus! Trilogy, very funny and a sarcastic look at the origins of the United States.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I enjoyed the book. I sense it's an interesting blend of fiction and nonfiction. In fact, the author references a book I read 15+ years ago that I recommend.

http://www.disinfo.com/archive/pages/dossier/id96/pg1/
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Nov 2002

AIB this thread

I bought Angels & Demons over lunch. Can't wait to dive right in!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Perhaps it's because of where I went to college, but I found the DaVinci Code to be interesting--the actual dialogue was a little weak--but overall, a good read. To reidderate what most have already said, it's a work of fiction based on some historical facts. The Priory of Scion actually did exist and Opus Dei is still very much active to this day. But basically, the Catholic Church has denounced it because, well, it goes against the Catholic faith doctorine.

The Council of Nicea was held in 325 basically because there was discord amongst high ranking members of the Church--it basically laid down some laws and everything was cool till the Council of Chalcedon was held in 450. One of the main things about Nicea, though, was that any member of the clergy could not dwell with any woman who wasn't his mother, sister, or aunt. Given what the DaVinci Code presupposes, this would have been a major faux pas for my boy, Jesus.

The Council of Chalcedon addressed all the issues that had arisen since Nicea. But the main issue was the nature or humaity of Christ--was his divinity separate from his humanity--was he two separate beings in one body, was he separate from these things? This was all brought up by this guy named Nestorius who, needless to say, had a lot of time on his hands. Basically, this Council determined and coined the phrase "homousian" which means, "of the same father" And confirmed that Jesus was, in fact, human, but his humanity was a part of his divinity--it's who he was and the collective "we" are also human, but not divine. He had two natures in one person, hence, The Father, The Son--you get the idea. So, why would the divine Jesus hook up with someone like Mary Magdalene?

So when the DaVinci presents all these "what ifs" it makes people wonder, hey, what exactly do I believe (assuming they were raised Catholic)? Mary Magdalene was only one of two women present at the tomb, the other was Mary, the mother of God. Mary Magdalene was also the one to tell people that Jesus had, in fact, fufilled the scriptures and rose on the third day. However, here's the snag--many didn't believe her. For those who don't know, Magdalene was a shady place with seedy people--our girl Mary was pure of heart, but the town she hailed from had a bad rap and people thought she was a whore, therefore, also a liar. Who knows? But, she really wasn't lying and all of those people who doubted her probably felt stupid.

Whoa, this is longer than I meant, but I guess is what I'm trying to say is that while there's some speculation that Jesus and Mary M might have shacked up, there's not enough tangible historical evidence that we can prove or disprove. Although, the Church thinks it's bunk and that's why the DaVinci Code was banned, yep, that's right, BANNED from my alma mater, Catholic University's, bookstore.

Bear in mind, the synoptic gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke were written down at the very earliest, 25 years after Jesus died. And those Ecumenical councils weren't held for another 300-400 years or so. Crazy.

This is a very abridged and probably crappy interpretation as to why the Church would be riled up about the book. I apologize for any discrepencies or misinterpretations (I was trying to remember from a class I took 2 years ago).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Elisabeth
    Perhaps it's because of where I went to college...
    That is the best answer I have heard!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003

Ot

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    That is the best answer I have heard!

Are you referring to my use of english or are you saying that because of where I actually went to school? Just wondering.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Elisabeth
    Are you referring to my use of english or are you saying that because of where I actually went to school? Just wondering.
    I was referring to your choice of words, the specific details that you gave, and well as your background knowledge on the topic.

(it was meant as a compliment!)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Our interim boss left today for a 4-week trip to Sri Lanka, Senegal, Paris, etc. First stop, tomorrow, is the Rosslyn (sp?) chapel in Scotland, from the Da vinci Code, where her sister is marrying a Scottish somebody (earl, duke, whatever). Apparently one of his ancestors built the chapel. Can't wait to see the pictures!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Di Vinci Code and you.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 59
    Last post: 30 May 2006, 3:58 PM
  2. Code enforcement
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Jun 2005, 8:37 AM
  3. Form based codes Form Code
    Land Use and Zoning