Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: low cost or free parking for gov workers

Registered
    Mar 2002

low cost or free parking for gov workers

In todays Post there is an interesting write up about how the Feds give free or reduced parking to employees in and around DC. This has the transportation planners up in arms saying this is why there is so much gridlock and air quality problems in the area.

I know were I to get a job in the city if at all possible Id metro but many offices its not that easy *though some have their "own" metro stops like the NIH. The gov does not pay crap so I have to wonder if "free" parking is not a "perk" to lure folks to working for the goverment?

Not to mention the metro does not serve everywhere and there are limited stations that have parking lots for thoese that live farther out.

Thoughts?:?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2002

Link

Ahh I ment to add the link to the Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2002Jul7.html
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Many companies will offer free parking to their employees, or more likely to key employees, as a perk. Others are offering shuttles, free train or bus rides, etc. Which seems the better policy? It probably varies in every city and circumstance, but from what I know of DC, I would prefer to see less free parking and more free rides.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Yeah I guess they are really going against what all the "government subsidized" and FHWA-funded TDM programs preach.

Alot of the TMAs in out area actually encourage employers to "charge" for parking to try to cut down on SOV use.

Alot of acronyms in that post

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I hate to say it, but parking can be a big factor in choosing a job. If there is limited parking, then you usually have an associated crappy drive to work. When I worked for Monroe County, their offices were in downtown Rochester. Thank god I knew the manager of the down the street garage, and he had a crush on me, or parking would have almost cost more than my summer rent. So I'm in favor of any incentive to facilitate getting to work - either for rides or for parking.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. AICP CM credit opportunities (free and low-cost)
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 13 Feb 2014, 12:37 AM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 17 Apr 2012, 10:38 AM
  3. Cost to build a parking garage
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 19 Dec 2011, 5:00 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Sep 2011, 4:50 PM
  5. Free Parking?