Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Plats for condos

Registered
    Feb 1998

Plats for condos

In a residential condo project, does anyplace plat the units? I never have, considering the entire development a multi-family project. We have two of these critters, already approved (and under construction) as rentals under single ownership, which now want to go condo. We should be concerned about the structures rather the units, thus I see no reason to officially plat the units, but we have a local surveyor...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wisconsin law required the units to be platted if they are in individual ownership.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Wisconsin law required the units to be platted if they are in individual ownership.

Houston requires them to plat similar to apartments: show access and fire/emergency, but do not show individual lots. Condos are lumped into multi-family for platting purposes (multi-family is apartments, condos, triplex and higher).
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Every place I've been has required condos to be platted to create the legal descriptions for conveyance and to review the HOA documents.

Registered
    May 1997
    Every state I've worked in requires condos to be platted.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I would require that it be platted. Again, its the issue of individual ownership of the land.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Every place I've been has required condos to be platted to create the legal descriptions for conveyance and to review the HOA documents.
    Same here. State law treats them the same as a subdivision. We have a slightly expedited review process for them, but they still require Planning Board approval.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

They do not need to be platted in Indiana under the Horizontal Property Law.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Subdivision Requiring FFE's on final plats?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Jun 2013, 11:42 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Jun 2007, 4:28 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Apr 2007, 6:43 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Aug 2004, 11:26 AM
  5. When Condos Go Bad
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4