Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NEED Quasi Legal Advice Fast

Registered
    Jul 2002

NEED Quasi Legal Advice Fast

I got the below memo and "Privacy Policy" a week ago from the HR dept and refuse to fill it out.

Memo

Privacy Policy page 1

Privacy Policy Page 2

I think this is a bunch of crap, and I feel it is an invasion of privacy . Most of the people in the office just filled it out.... suckers. The privacy policy state in a number of place "as allowed by law" well thanks to the "patriot act" just about anything is allowed by law.

If I sign this form I'm giving them permission to dig into my personal information which is not of their freaking business.

Myself and a handfull of other still havent filled this out and we have been getting daily e-mail reminders to fill it out. Just last night I e=mailed the HR person and asked

>>> XXXXXXXXXXXX 08/11/04 04:56PM >>>
    Just curious,

What if we don't fill out the form one way or another?

Here response was

The insurance company did not give us any option "to not do it". WE HAVE TO DO IT. I don't know what repercussions for not complying to their request except cancellation of the policy and not insuring XXX but we've been told that ALL insurers would request this same info. I'm just the unlucky devil who had to deliver the message, I have no dealings with the insurance company, thats done by other above me so I'm not sure. I'm sorry this is causing a stir

DO I have to do this? What's your take.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    So they want your drivers license number? And if you don't give it to them, you have to fill out a state form allowing them to get it though the state? Do you drive a company car? I could see at that point where you would have to give that information, but not if you drive your own car.

I have absolutely no idea about this at all. I work for a municipality and drive my personal car, and did not have to give me drivers license number to anyone. Hopefully there are other private sector employees that will respond and help you out.

I don't blame you for not wanting to consent. The privacy notice was a bunch of crap - it basically says they will not disclose the information AT ALL, except of course for 1,001 different situations.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'd talk with an attorney if this is bothering you as much as it seems.

I suspect, however, that this is all legal and failure of your employer to collect all the data requested by the insurer may put the organization's coverage at risk.

Proceed with caution.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Jul 2002
    [QUOTE=SW MI Planner]So they want your drivers license number? And if you don't give it to them, you have to fill out a state form allowing them to get it though the state?QUOTE]

Not only are they going to get it from the State, they want to charge me $8.00 to do it.

[QUOTE=SW MI Planner] Do you drive a company car? I [QUOTE]

I do not drive a company car, but do drive my car for company business.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Hmm... I think that for the Town, if we drive Town cars, or get reimbursed for mileage, they need our drivers licenses for insurance purposes.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    Hmm... I think that for the Town, if we drive Town cars, or get reimbursed for mileage, they need our drivers licenses for insurance purposes.

That's true, they told me our insurance company needs our driver's license number to make sure none of us are driving on suspended licenses and how many points we may or may not have against us.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Quasi-planning jobs in planning firms
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 18 May 2011, 4:49 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 19 Jun 2009, 3:26 PM
  3. How fast do you type?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 26 Mar 2009, 9:49 PM