Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So you can't be governor if you're gay?

Registered
    Dec 2001

So you can't be governor if you're gay?

N.J. Gov. James McGreevey Resigns, Says He Is Gay

They're making it sound like the sex may have been with an aide and they man is threatening a lawsuit, or has filed one. :-S
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think it was the MARRIED and having a gay affair that is the issue, not just being gay. I heard some scuttlebutt that there is a scandal beyond the affair tied to it too. We'll see what the press makes of it over the next few days...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    I think it was the MARRIED and having a gay affair that is the issue, not just being gay. I heard some scuttlebutt that there is a scandal beyond the affair tied to it too. We'll see what the press makes of it over the next few days...
    I can understand that, but what happens in his personal life shouldn't be the public's business, IMO. But really, how often do morals and politics mix?

Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    I can understand that, but what happens in his personal life shouldn't be the public's business, IMO. But really, how often do morals and politics mix?
    If you're not screwing the interns, you're screwing the country.

Bet you miss Clinton now...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Clinton screwed our military...he just did it more quietly than Bush is doing it. My husband recruited while Clinton was in office. Guys told him to his face "Check back with me after Clinton is out of office."

Registered
    Jun 2003
    If you want to tract this story try the Newark Star Ledger at:
    http://www.nj.com/starledger/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I feel bad for his wife... not only is her husband gay, he was cheating on her with a man, and made the whole thing public.

[rant] Ok, what is with this whole cheating on SO thing going on in our county? I am sorry but we as a society just passively dismiss it as, “oh it is the way things are these days” and that kind of thinking infuriates me. I once dated a girl who cheated on me. Things ended before I found out, and since I learned of her other activities, I have yet to have any respect or anyone who does such a thing. I could care less if he was gay. Gay or not, cheating is wrong and I fully believe that it should be a crime.

I know that if whom ever I marry some day cheated on me, it would be over. No questions, no talking about it, papers would be filed right away. If someone does not have enough respect for the other person to at least say no, then that is not the person that I would want to be with.

Furthermore when it is done in the public eye much like Clinton, that makes things even worse. I had limited respect for Clinton before everything happened, and I have pure disgust for the man now.
    [/rant]
    Last edited by michaelskis; 13 Aug 2004 at 9:50 AM.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    [preachy]
    Call me old fashioned but I believe in the following:
    1. Honor your marriage vows - even if you can't stand your SO.
    2. If you want some strange have the courtesy to divorce your SO first.
    3. Don't use your religion as a justification to screw around. (Shout out to my Kennedy homies on this one)
    4. Don't put yourself in a situation where you will be tempted. i.e. Drunk on the road with a hot co-worker that digs you.
    5. Even if you are both single: Don't screw your staff members - ever. If you just gotta have it one of you needs to move on FIRST. Not after 6 weeks when everyone in the office knows.
    6. Make a habit of always telling the truth. It is just easier, you only have one story to remember.
    7. If you are in the public eye or have any form of power you should expect bad people to want to be your friends.
    8. The press lives to bring people down. An honorably led life survives scrutiny.
    [/preachy]

PS - I liked the Daily Show's brief coverage of the story last night.

PPS - A suggestion to the Pridevolken - If this guy is in the middle of a "caught screwing his staff on company money" scandal it would be my suggestion that you distance yourself from him. A rally behind the Gov who had to go because he was "gay" war would fall flat. The Pridevolken should be sophisticated enought to say, "BS Gov - you left for bad behavior, not because you like men." Just some advice. Take it for what it is worth.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I suggest following JNA's advice--let's all read the Neward Star Ledger over the couple of days and see where this story goes.

Its clear the Gov. did not simply resign because he is gay.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    [preachy]
    3. Don't use your religion as a justification to screw around. (Shout out to my Kennedy homies on this one)
    4. Don't put yourself in a situation where you will be tempted. i.e. Drunk on the road with a hot co-worker that digs you.
    5. Even if you are both single: Don't screw your staff members - ever. If you just gotta have it one of you needs to move on FIRST. Not after 6 weeks when everyone in the office knows.
    6. Make a habit of always telling the truth. It is just easier, you only have one story to remember.
    7. If you are in the public eye or have any form of power you should expect bad people to want to be your friends.
    8. The press lives to bring people down. An honorably led life survives scrutiny.
    [/preachy]
    A rare occurrance.....I agree with all of the above El Guapo statements.

Having been on the other side of being cheated on, I can tell you the fallout is not fun.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I agree with EG's points...just goes to show that morals have nothing to do with politics.

As for Michaelskis's suggestion of making adultery a crime...yeah, we could even stone offenders to death, eh?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    From what I understand, McGreevey had been covered with teflon up until now. He has had supporters and close aids take falls for illegal campaign contributions, favortism in appointments, etc. His name has shown up in several indictments of these other people, but so far he has not been indicted. This is just one last scandal for a rather power hungry person. While it may not have been the right one to take him down (only time will tell when the details come out [see Rep. (Daniel or Phil don't remember which one) Crane --- conservative bible thumping republican --- of IL who had an affair with a male page many years ago and stayed in Congress]) the dirt was piling up that was going to eventually cover him.
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DennisMaPlanner
    From what I understand, McGreevey had been covered with teflon up until now. He has had supporters and close aids take falls for illegal campaign contributions, favortism in appointments, etc. His name has shown up in several indictments of these other people, but so far he has not been indicted. This is just one last scandal for a rather power hungry person. While it may not have been the right one to take him down (only time will tell when the details come out [see Rep. (Daniel or Phil don't remember which one) Crane --- conservative bible thumping republican --- of IL who had an affair with a male page many years ago and stayed in Congress]) the dirt was piling up that was going to eventually cover him.
    People from that general area whom I talk to on a regular basis have had similar things to say about McGreevey for a long time before yesterday's announcement. The 15-Nov-2004 effective date is so that his replacement is not elected on the same day as the Prez election, the strongest candidate is a conservative and that could easily pull New Jersey's electoral votes into the GWB side. It would not surprize me at all to see him officially out long before then, though.

Still, this resignation puts New Jersey into play in the Presidential election and it is NOT good news for the Kerry campaign.

Besides, when I first saw his mug on the back of the NJDOT highway map (the one with the USA flag/state capitol dome motif on the front) while on a roadtrip that way last year, my first thought was "I don't know if I like this guy's smile".

Mike
    Last edited by mgk920; 13 Aug 2004 at 11:57 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    ........cheating is wrong and I fully believe that it should be a crime. .......[/rant]
    I share your distaste, but a crime is to much. Chuck the whole no fault divorce so the courts can punish the cheater. Our jails are full of enough people who outraged our sensibilities without adding this too.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 2002

nj gov

He may be the first to use being gay as cover. a Lavender herring.
    WALSTIB

from cbsdotcom:

(CBS/AP) The man who drove New Jersey Gov. James McGreevey out of the closet and out of office was quietly named to a $110,000-a-year state post shortly after McGreevey took office.

McGreevey aides say it was Golan Cipel's demand for "millions of dollars" that prompted the governor to go public. The aides said Cipel, 35, an Israeli, had threatened to file a sexual harassment suit against the governor unless the money was forthcoming.
    Brendan Byrne, Abscam, Turnpike, Armpit of America, Goombahs, Joisey Goirls, $110,000 lovers, on and on and on.

Oh, it's great to be from Jersey. As far from it as possible.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Oh, it's great to be from Jersey. As far from it as possible.
    It is a nice to VISIT, besides Mom still has a house on the Jersey Shore.
    Oddball

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    I share your distaste, but a crime is to much. Chuck the whole no fault divorce so the courts can punish the cheater. Our jails are full of enough people who outraged our sensibilities without adding this too.
    Speeding, under age drinking and smoking, tresspassing are all crimes. As is domestic abuse. (physical, verbal, and mental) Why is cheating not included under domestic abuse?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I don't believe that I have the right to have an opinion about what two adults do.

I do believe it takes alot to be able to stand up and say to the world, this is what I did and I am not going to allow someone to threaten me with it.

I have alot more respect for that kind of behavior than someone that does something they believe is wrong and they try to cover it up.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Speeding, under age drinking and smoking, tresspassing are all crimes. As is domestic abuse. (physical, verbal, and mental) Why is cheating not included under domestic abuse?
    I've never heard of someone being arrested because they told their s.o. they were crap on a daily basis (besides, how would you prove it, it'd be a he said/she said issue). Physical abuse, or more like any form of physical fighting is a crime. But, I would hate to live in a country that takes away the right to choose. Granted, I don't agree with cheating on your spouse, but it happens and it's not just that it only happens in "today's time", adultery has been around since the beginning of time, probably as long as prostitution.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Geee, well said, EG, and I generally don't agree with you!
    I say the story last night on CNN and inmediately thought that this was going to be here today!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    [preachy]
    Like others I agree w/ you on your list.
    You are not old fashion, I believe that you are illustrating to the rest of us that you are well grounded in what is expected as good and decent behavior.
    Preachy - so what sometimes it is good to be reminded.
    Oddball

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    The real outrage is that it looks he hired his boyfriend to be State of New Jersey Security CZAR not long after September 11th.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u
    The real outrage is that it looks he hired his boyfriend to be State of New Jersey Security CZAR not long after September 11th.
    Shows that he hired the wrong person, the guy can't even keep a secret. Wonder if he can be fired now as they know he is untrustworthy?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Shows that he hired the wrong person, the guy can't even keep a secret. Wonder if he can be fired now as they know he is untrustworthy?
    I believe he was already fired as he was an Isreali citizen and therefore unable to clear FBI screening.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 36
    Last post: 12 Jan 2009, 4:01 PM
  2. Replies: 69
    Last post: 19 Mar 2008, 6:36 PM
  3. If you were Governor?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 15 Sep 2005, 1:32 PM
  4. Governor Terminator