Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Should developers stick to thier plans? Need resources

Registered
    Apr 2004

Should developers stick to thier plans? Need resources

Hello all. I've got a debate coming up for uni where I need to argue that developers should stick to their plans. Does anyone have any links to websites that argue for this?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ABS
    Hello all. I've got a debate coming up for uni where I need to argue that developers should stick to their plans. Does anyone have any links to websites that argue for this?
    simple answer is yes. In my municipality here in the US, the plans which the elected officials approved for the development legally bind the developer to following the plans. If they don't follow the apporved plans, then they are in violation of their approval, and work can be stopped to make correction.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    simple answer is yes. In my municipality here in the US, the plans which the elected officials approved for the development legally bind the developer to following the plans. If they don't follow the apporved plans, then they are in violation of their approval, and work can be stopped to make correction.
    Same in New Hampshire, except it's the Planning Board that approves all development plans.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 1997

[devil's advocate]Well, let me take the counterpoint, just to keep the debate going . . . .

Often times the approved plans SUCK. The overall development concept is cookie-cutter crap created without significant consideration to the actual property. Even fairly detailed site plans can require modification once the construction work has begun. In fast-growing areas, conditions outside of, but related to, the proposed porject can change mid-process (adjoining properties suddenly developed, infrastructure work is surprisingly required, etc.) And, not all the changes to the plans are necessarily bad for the city. In my experience, changes after plans are approved are often beneficial to the city.

How about if there are things that the developer should "stick to", it should be clearly indicated in the local regulations and/or the specific plan approval. Then, everything else can be modified, with appropriate review.[/devil's advocate]
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff

[devil's advocate]Well, let me take the counterpoint, just to keep the debate going . . . .

Often times the approved plans SUCK. The overall development concept is cookie-cutter crap created without significant consideration to the actual property. Even fairly detailed site plans can require modification once the construction work has begun. In fast-growing areas, conditions outside of, but related to, the proposed porject can change mid-process (adjoining properties suddenly developed, infrastructure work is surprisingly required, etc.) And, not all the changes to the plans are necessarily bad for the city. In my experience, changes after plans are approved are often beneficial to the city.

How about if there are things that the developer should "stick to", it should be clearly indicated in the local regulations and/or the specific plan approval. Then, everything else can be modified, with appropriate review.[/devil's advocate]
    Sure, some minor field changes are often necessary....but in my experience, if you give too much leeway, the end product often sucks.

Our Planning Board approves the construction plans for every project. All the details have to be ironed out on all aspects of the construction before the Board signs the plans (signed plans are required to pull any permits). Our Board is extremely particular on architectural and site design.....so what the Planning Board approves goes. If field changes go beyond simple administrative changes, then the plans go back to the Planning Board for another hearing.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    While minor changes to plans may be accepted, any significant changes should be required to gain some approval from the municipality. That is not to say that the plan needs to be resubmitted through an approval process. For example, when engineering plans for a new road and underground infrastructure are approved, it is not possible to completely know all of the underground conditions. If bedrock is found close to the surface during construction, then maybe a modification to the plan would be warranted, and could be simply approved by the city engineer. I do not think that anyone would advocate, however, letting the developer substitute a five-story commercial building on a residential lot.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    From our city Zoning Ordinance:
    (C) Improvement location permits: revocation and voiding.
    (1) An improvement location permit may be revoked after at least ten days written notice, if the conditions of the zoning code requirements and/or the conditions of the permit are not met.
    (2) An improvement location permit is void if construction has not been started or the use has not been established within six months of the date of issuance.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Sure, some minor field changes are often necessary....but in my experience, if you give too much leeway, the end product often sucks.

Our Planning Board approves the construction plans for every project. All the details have to be ironed out on all aspects of the construction before the Board signs the plans (signed plans are required to pull any permits). Our Board is extremely particular on architectural and site design.....so what the Planning Board approves goes. If field changes go beyond simple administrative changes, then the plans go back to the Planning Board for another hearing.
    My esteemed (and well-educated) colleague is entirely correct. In these kind of matters, I stick to the old addage "Pick your fights." Hold to you guns on the things you really need and/or want. On everything else, being flexible can (but doesn't always) improve a project. (This probably depends on your confidence in the pre-approval review.) Staff probably has some autonomy. If plans are approved by a board or council, signifcant changes need to go back to them.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    We just had a case where a parking lot was located 5 feet off from what the plan said. Our ZBA said no to the variance and that they have to stick to the plan that was approved by the Planning Commission.

I am a firm believer that the plan that is approved by the PC is what is expected. Thus, that is what should be built. If the developer want’s something else... then go back to the PC to amend the plan.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 44
    Last post: 15 Apr 2011, 3:16 PM
  2. Replies: 39
    Last post: 16 Feb 2010, 10:22 PM
  3. Replies: 68
    Last post: 13 Apr 2006, 9:59 AM
  4. No, that's my joy stick.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2