Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: National planning organisations and young planners

Registered
    Jan 2005

National planning organisations and young planners

This is an idea that I'd like to see in Canada, I know it exists in Australia, but what about the USA? Europe?

In Australia, they have a section of the Australian Institute of Planners dedicated to young planners. These are students AND recent graduates and they target events specific to them (if I'm wrong here, please correct me).

There's nothing like that in Canada. there is a student component to CIP (Canadian Institute of Planners) but after graduation there is little support in terms of networking, getting jobs, etc. Some regions have mentoring, but even then its limited.

Does the US have anything like this? How about the U.K? Anywhere else? I'm planning on bringing up the subject at a future meeting of the Planning Institute of British Columbia (subset to CIP) to see what their opinion is - what's yours and what would you like to see included in such a thing?
    Mitchbaby: Proud to be a :canada: planner and a :canada: surfer

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The idea has been thrown around for years, but nothing has been done in America. With the National conference every year, a youth conference could (and should) be created pretty easily. The SRC has not been influential enough in this goal in the past, even though every new president makes that promise. I hope that the youth conference is something that gets put into the American system, and some day maybe a world youth planning conference. The ideas that could be shared, with different countries, could really affect peoples thinking on all sides. If you have a way to connect us to any of those, or have a way that you suggest we start one, I would love to hear it.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2003
    The CCAPA (California Chapter of APA) website has a Student Section. But I have always thought it was pretty pathetic. It seems to be improving and I hope it will continue to do so. Maybe by the time I am no longer a student and no longer have any hope of benefitting from it, it will be something really worthwhile.

Registered
    Feb 2005

Young Planners in the UK

HI there.

Yes, there is a formal Young Planners Panel as part of the Royal Town Planning Institute in the UK: http://www.rtpi.org.uk/resources/pan...ung/index.html

I'm one of the 6 panel members at the moment, amongst other things we: publish a monthly page in the Institute's journal, organise an annual national weekend conference with approx 120 delegates (one of the most popular on the RTPI calendar!); dissminate info. to young planners using email and respond on behalf of young planners to RTPI consultations.

We're supported by a network of Young Planner groups which are based throughout the UK, sometimes attached to RTPI regional 'branches', sometimes not!

We're hoping to co-ordinate ourselves a bit better soon with the formation of a Young Planners Network, which is a new idea which the Institute is suggesting....watch this space.

If you want to know any further information, or want to establish links with us here in the UK, then either email me, or contact young.planners@rtpi.org.uk

Stuart

PS. The definition of a young planner in the UK is anyone under 35 years of age!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yes my son there is a "National Young Planners Group" supported by the Planning Institute of Australia (formerly the Royal Australian Planning Institute) in Oz. Here is their website. The group has been up and running for probably about 10 years now. I was never directly involved, as I moved to a regional area at about the time they formed (not because of any temporal handicap thank you very much), though I have participated in a couple of their activities as a presenter.

They tend to try and broaden the appeal of the main institute by organising complementary events around the institute's activities. They do also organise quite separate activities and are a valuable networking agency for graduates (and near graduates) making their way in the profession. There is a national undergradutate organisation as well (supported by students' unions on individual campuses rather than the institute) called the Organisation of Planning Students (OOPS for short). Oops was also the favorite morning after expression for OOPS functions when I was president at UNSW back in the middle ages.

The Young Planners have their own Division, email newsletter, and a dedicated section in the NSW Division's professional journal. I am friends with an ex-mover and shaker of the Young Planners - if you would like to discuss the ins and outs of the group with him, PM me your email address and I will link you up with him.

Yes there is a student section of the American Planning Association. At the annual conference there are sessions and socials targeted for students. There is a student listserv, a newsletter written by students, mentoring programs, See:

http://www.planning.org/students/

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Ohio Planner is correct there is one. But they are not very influential in anything that young planners are or do. The SRC is the "head" student body of all student planners, but do not have any affiliation with young professionals. As the UK does, they have anyone under 35 in this catagory. The US does not have any governing body or organization (other than APA which just guides people) that does this. I think that the possibilty of working with Canada, the UK, and Australia on planning issues is really exciting. Maybe someone who has power (SRC, APA, ???) can attempt this someday. Young planners would support it, I am sure.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally posted by OhioPlanner
    Yes there is a student section of the American Planning Association. At the annual conference there are sessions and socials targeted for students. There is a student listserv, a newsletter written by students, mentoring programs, See:

http://www.planning.org/students/
    Thanks for the link. I'll definetly join up to the listserv.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Feb 2013, 11:07 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Dec 2011, 10:57 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Aug 2009, 1:48 AM
  4. Replies: 38
    Last post: 14 Jan 2004, 1:16 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Mar 1998, 9:50 AM