A strange idea from my part of the world...

N A T I O N A L N E W S S T O R Y

Free Botox offer raises eyebrows
16 August 2004

It's Changing Rooms crossed with Extreme Makeover - buy a couch from any Bella Design International store and get a Botox treatment to the value of $360.

The sofa and bed retailer is offering the special until Wednesday to any customer who buys a 2.5-seater couch or a paskaliss bed.

Bella director Neil Whitehouse said sofas were about fashion, and instead of giving away a foot-stool, they were giving away something that coincided with fashion.

"You can't walk a foot-stool down the road but you can definitely walk your face down the road."

However, the move has the New Association of Plastic Surgeons concerned. Secretary Tristan de Chalain said he was not totally against it, but had a problem with plastic surgery procedures being offered as a "prize".

"If you're going to give somebody a treatment which has potentially significant side-effects you need to be serious. It's not just frivolous."

"I'm a little concerned that somebody gets the offer and comes along willynilly and they want it whether they need it or not."

Consumers Institute director David Russell said the offer was "oh so Auckland", adding consumers should not be swayed because of it, but if they were in the market for Botox then they could take it into account.

With stores in Whangarei, Auckland and Hamilton, Mr Whitehouse said he was liaising with different businesses offering Botox treatment to get customers appointments.

He said they were dealing with reputable organisations but admitted he had not had the procedure done himself.

"I've had the odd girlfriend have it and they always come up looking pretty sharp."

He expected some people to knock the promotion but said it was the customers' decision whether they went ahead with the treatment and the offer could be transferred to a friend.

"We're moving ahead with the times. We're a happening company and the bottom line is this (Botox) is the next invention from the wheel."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3003700a11,00.html