Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: And The Best Weather Is In.....

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

And The Best Weather Is In.....

Viewing the horrible devastation of Hurricane Charley, I was thinking, it seems that there is something "wrong" with just about any place we would choose to live.

Here in the norhern Ohio midwest we get tornadoes......not often......but we get them. We get tough winter weather, sometimes blizzards or blizzard-like conditions.

If you go north, you get longer and colder winters.....and those blizzard thingys.

Go to the mid-south.....you get more tornadoes, muggy weather, more ice storms in the colder months.

Move to the southwest......hot (....."yeah, but at least it's dry heat....chuckle......", dust storms, low (can you say "no" water).

California has mudslides, hillside brush and forest fires, earthquakes.

The Pacific northwest has sometimes active volcanoes.....and inactive volcanoes just waiting to "turn on".

Panhandle Alaska is wet all the time. Crowded Alaska (Anchorage area) is very earthquake-prone....and it does get somewhat cold. Fairbanks does get very cold, with some weeks that don't go above twenty-below.

The northeast gets remnants of hurricanes and killer blizzards.

The southeast coast has a hurricane-is-coming list a mile long.

Question: With all this stuff, where is the best place to live?

Bear Waiting For The Usual Minimal NW Ohio Snowfall
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Good question, BUN (you don't mind if I get personal do you?). While I've never lived there but have had the good fortune to visit a number of times, I always thought that San Diego, CA had the best weather. Never too hot and never too cold. When I lived in Santa Cruz, CA, conditions were about the same, except I went through the Loma Prieta 'quake...not fun.

BTW, you should see the Florida panhandle today. Beautiful and not a cloud in the sky.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Well, we may have snow here in the northeast, but we are generally prepared for it. (Of course, that doesn't stop people from driving like idiots during the first heavy snowfall of the season... )

In North Carolina, buses stopped running and local banks actually closed when, in a rare occurrence, we had an inch or two of snow. There were no snowplows in our part of the state.

I'll take snow over earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, etc. any day. And my California relatives would disagree, but I have to wonder why anyone would choose to build a home in an area that is prone to mudslides and wildfires.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    There's lots of places here in Chile that have great weather (note that earthquakes and volcanism are not counted as weather) You can go from a dry desert to a patagonic tundra, including also a sub tropical island all of us know as Easter Island We got no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no damp rain forest and practically no dangerous species.

Sadly we do have lots of earthquakes and volcanoes, so I guess nowhere is perfect :-P

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. This weather SUCKS!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Apr 2006, 2:06 PM
  2. weather
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Apr 2004, 4:30 PM
  3. Weather Forcast for DC??
    Friday Afternoon Club