Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Snow on sidewalks

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Snow on sidewalks

In your community, who is responsible for clearing sidewalks of ice and snow? Furthermore, how do you do inspections end enforcement on these.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    In the city where I live the property owner has to remove the snow within 6-8 hours and the cops ca give out rather high fines.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    May 2003
    Property owners.

At my old apartment, I had to walk along a large vacant lot owned by the CTA. Of course they never cleared it and the City never did anything about it. Probably several thousand people walked along that sidewalk a day so it quickly became an ankle-brusing tangle of compacted ice.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Property owner you clown

Too bad the city doesn't fine itself, but I know that certian politicians are the target of fines due to unfavorable support from certian public sector workers.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Property owner (or tenant) is resposible. Some places CE department does inspections. Many places handle it by complaint only. My last city did it this way for years, we started getting complaints about not enforcing our ordinances, so I went out and tagged a huge number of folks. Good times, we had a full council meeting because I was such a jerk.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Property owners, within 24 hours of a snow storm. We leave "reminders" with property owners/businesses. If they don't do it within 24 hours of getting a reminder, they get a ticket. The fine is $165.

In the past, we had a huge problem with businesses. The people that would plow their driveways would plow it such a way that it left a 6-8 foot high wall of snow blocking the sidewalk at the drive approach. In one week we left 145 notices that resulted in 127 tickets being issued. We no longer have the same problem.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Same here: property owners are responsible and the police department issues citations.

Registered
    May 2003
    There's never been any trouble with buisnesses here as a clean sidewalk is essential to their buisness. I've seen employees out dusting off the snow with a broom after shoveling to keep the sidewalk looking tidy. The biggest problems are the aformentioned public lands. There's also a large cemetary in my old neighborhood that doesn't shovel. The next biggest problem is small-time property owners: single family buildings or twoflats. If they don't use it much they're not too keen on keeping it clean. They're the ones you need to call the city on. Larger apartment buildings with superintendents are never a problem.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In my last community, they had until 5PM the day after the snowfall. Because it was a college town with many rentals, there would be some who did not shovel. A thorough enforcement after the first snow, with $100 fines going out, usually educated the public pretty well.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Maybe where I live is just different, but the city has, and uses, sidewalk plows to clear sidewalks.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    In my current and last place of residence the municipality clears the snow.

I know it varies from place to place here.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    In your community, who is responsible for clearing sidewalks of ice and snow? Furthermore, how do you do inspections end enforcement on these.
    Property owners clear sidewalks... we have three days to do it before getting ticketed. I think tickets are issued upon complaint.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    The city where I work sends out guys with snow blowers etc to move snow off sidewalks in areas like downtown and "trails".
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Going against the trend of making the property owner do it, our municipality has started this year to clean all the sidewalks in the major town within the Township. It is contracted out.

This is much to staff's disappointment, as it is a big nightmare. The public demands a much higher level of service becuase they are paying for it, and we have already had a bunch of complaints. We would have preferred that they make the homeowner do it.
    "your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!"

Registered
    Mar 2004

yeah....

Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Property owners clear sidewalks... we have three days to do it before getting ticketed. I think tickets are issued upon complaint.
    Three day's seems ok in a place where you could die quickly from exposure for just getting the newspaper in the morning......What's the coldest you've seen/heard of in Edmonton....we need the record?.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Nobody clears snow from sidewalks here, or at least not that I can tell. We all cower in our homes until the big white blanket bids us adieu.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Breed
    Nobody clears snow from sidewalks here, or at least not that I can tell. We all cower in our homes until the big white blanket bids us adieu.
    Would this be before or after participating in the bread and milk riot at the local Bi-Lo?

Here the property owner is responsible for snow removal from the sidewalk within 24 hours of the storm. I would have to assume that this is enforced solely upon complaint because there are many, many places in the city where people just let it go.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Would this be before or after participating in the bread and milk riot at the local Bi-Lo?
    Having milk and bread during a winter storm or hurricane is the first line of defense. Needless to say, if you don't have enough bread and milk safely tucked away to last through a nuclear holocaust, then you are just living dangerously... and there will be no possible way for you to survive through the storm.

Sure... you can mock the bread and milk phenomena... but don't come crying to me when on day seven after the winter storm comes and you have a craving for milk. I'll be prepared. You can just fend for yourself in the post-storm milk riots.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Funny thing is, when I was moving into the new house, I started to wonder how long I might be able to survive if no food was available. Ten pounds of flour, a dozen cans of vegetables, six boxes of flavored rice and one of regular rice, several cans of soup, four different kinds of pasta.... As I unpacked the boxes and mentally began to add it all up, I decided that I would not have any difficulty in lasting six months, sparingly using just the food I had in the house. Water would be the only problem.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Property owners are responsible from the house to the street. In the city I used to live in, you had so many hours to clear it. After that, if there were complaints, the city could issue a citation and failure clear the sidewalk would result in city DGS clearing it and adding the cost to the tax bill. Those guys are union...so it's $$$ for a crew to do the work.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Muni, that i've seen. They have nifty snowblowers they drive around on.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    The property owners have 48 hours to shovel, brush or throw ashes (!) on the snow or face a nagging letter from the code enforcement officer. There have been more complaints about it, so I think they are actually writing tickets this year.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I shoveled my first sidewalk last week at my mother-in-law's house. There was 13 inches there in the mid-south. It was awful. I hate snow, but at least it gave me a reason to be outside of the house

Thank heavens I am back in FLA.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm snow on sidewalks?
    Last time I saw that was around 1995 when it snowed like 2 inches of snow here in Valdivia... shovel it? what for it melted the day after!

In general, it's very rare to have snow in chilean cities, except around Aisen and Magallanes; but they don't have that much either; but I think that the property owners and not the municipalities have to clean the sidewalks... afterall many of these cities when it snows it's like -20ºC and the pipes freeze so the municipality has to go and give out water with trucks!

Registered
    Nov 2004

benefits of community members doing work

Are there other benefits besides financial for a community if citizens shovel their own sidewalks?

I am thinking exercise, meeting the neighbours, etc. I remember reading once about in New York that after a snow everyone would meet their neighbours during shovelling.

There may also be the whole empowerment argument or just piss people off for taking away their services?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Rubber sidewalks?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 29 Oct 2007, 10:41 AM
  2. Sidewalks after the fact
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Oct 2006, 8:00 PM
  3. Sidewalks to nowhere?
    Transportation Planning