Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Design Guideline RFP

Registered
    May 2002

Design Guideline RFP

Our Planning Commission and Town Council has decided that the rather amibiguous statements in our Comp Plan about new construction needing to reflect the character of our historic little town are not quite getting the job done. So now they want to develop design guidelines and are willing to pay somebody to draft them. Does the Throbbing Brain have any suggestions or examples of an RFP that I could use for such a project? I'm concerned that we'll get something that will require a significant amount of time to review or worse, require another position. Any help will be appreciated.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    May 1997
    If you don't think design review is going to require significant staff time, you might not want to send out this RFP.

I don't have a sample RFP, but one thing I recommend: make sure you ask for an interdisciplinary team. Architects working alone are highly unlikely to get you what you need. Site planning and context are critical. I would ideally want an architect, a landscape architect, and a planner who has a broad understanding of cultural landscapes on the team.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    If you don't think design review is going to require significant staff time, you might not want to send out this RFP. .
    I don't want to send this out, but that's what I've been told to do. I tried to tell the Council that we are too busy as it is to add another level of review without adding staff. And to top that off, the Council also wants development review to be "more streamlined". I'm not sure the best way to do that is add more things for an overworked staff to look at.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 43
    Last post: 02 Sep 2013, 4:37 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Aug 2008, 1:45 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Jan 2008, 11:06 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Nov 2007, 3:45 PM
  5. What an excellent guideline document
    Design, Space, and Place