Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Entrance Stacking for Gated Community

Entrance Stacking for Gated Community

Hey, I don't propose them, I just regulate them.

Anyway, I need an idea of stacking requirements at the entrance for a 36-lot gated community. It will be located off a minor arterial (that is currently over-capacity as built). The design calls for a single entrance lane and single exit lane. I have no details on the type of device that will control the gate (manned --which I doubt --or automated with some sort of card reader?). Plans show two 25' stacking spaces at the entrnce. I think this is not acceptable, but would like to hear what the Throbbing Brian(TM) has to say.

As always, thanks in advance.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well, with 36 lots... 25 feet per car... 900 feet would be my recommendation. That has nothing to do with my disdain of gated communities.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I would probably base the stacking distance on the peak ADT figure for sfr land uses. And then multiply be 10.

This, too, has nothing to do with a disdane for gated communities.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Well, with 36 lots... 25 feet per car... 900 feet would be my recommendation. That has nothing to do with my disdain of gated communities.
    But that would put the gate at the very back of the subd .... Oh, wait. I get it.
    As they say -- "whoever commenced it, I'm against it". Unfortunately I can't kill this thing, so I have to make the best of it.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Seriously, you might take a look at peak hour trips from their TIA (if you required one for this subdivision). That might give you some way to logically come up with a stacking area. I can tell you this much, 25 feet is not enough when Mr. & Mrs. Snooty invite their friends over for a night of caviar, cheese and wine to talk about their new summer house in the hamptons.

Although I have to admit, I like Cardinal's response

You've brought up an issue that I've never really thought about. Most developers around here set the gate back a little further than that simply because it really turns-off perspective buyers when they are riding in their realtor's car and nearly get their asses taken off by a semi because there's some blue-hair that can't remember her access number of 1234# or can't reach the damn code box.

I would say bump the stacking area to at least 75 feet, which would allow for about six normal vehicles stacking and three vehicles with small trailers. You also want it at least long enough to contain an 18-wheel moving truck.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    I would say bump the stacking area to at least 75 feet, which would allow for about six normal vehicles stacking and three vehicles with small trailers. You also want it at least long enough to contain an 18-wheel moving truck.
    I was going to suggest the peak hour trip issue as well, until I saw this post. I think you need to address the 18-wheeler and at least a couple of vehicles. So I would suggest it should be setback at least 120 feet from the street. I would also suggest that prior to the gate their should be a turn-around so that the inadvertant driver who turns down the road does not have to back onto the main road.

Don't know how big the lots are but to get the privacy of the gate, the developer is going to start surrendering significant amounts of land to provide for that privacy.

Gated communities lead me to wonder whether they actually serve the purpose of subdivision control which seems to be to provided for coordinated land development and coordination of streets. I wonder if anyone ever thought to deny a gated community as not serving the primary purpose of subdivision control?

Here a gated community could be found inconsistent with the following provisions of state law:

"provision of adequate access to all of the lots in a subdivision by ways that will be safe and convenient for travel;"

A driver has to stop mid-block to access the pass reader - neither safe or convenient.

"for lessening congestion in such ways and in the adjacent public ways;"

Adding a stop increases delays and adds to congestion, potentially backs up into public ways....

"for reducing danger to life and limb in the operation of motor vehicles;"

Stopping mid-block is counter-intuitive, thus increasing danger to life and limb.

"for securing safety in the case of fire, flood, panic and other emergencies;"

Major snowstorm, power failure and generator fails. Gate is frozen shut and blocked in with 2 feet of snow and ice...house on fire due to knocked over oil lamp....

"for securing adequate provision for water, sewerage, drainage, underground utility services, fire, police, and other similar municipal equipment, and street lighting and other requirements where necessary in a subdivision;"

See above example fire apparatus cannot get past gate in emergency.

"and for coordinating the ways in a subdivision with each other and with the public ways in the city or town in which it is located and with the ways in neighboring subdivisions."

If I coordinate my gated road with the neighbors gated road does everyone need a pass? Lets be realistic gates are worse than cul-de-sacs.
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Try this....

Serious Answer: First make the through street run all the way to the opposite property line. Then provide each individual home with gates (prefer 8 foot chain link with 6 lines of razor wire above) Electrify fences with 30,000 volts and add milk and eggs, stir and cook for 40 minutes....your french toast will be wonderful....ha ha ha....
    (Disdain for gated community intended)

Non Serious Answer: Require at least two lanes for entry, one for visitors and realtors to linger, unable to enter without a code...and the other for residents willing to pay huge maintenance costs to have a gated community :-S
    Make sure there is a turn around for the odd octagenarian that makes the wrong turn into the community....Single lane entry will be a disaster, no matter how much que area you provide.....good luck....
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 65
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 1:43 PM
  2. Design for a gated community
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 20 Jun 2008, 1:46 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 20 Nov 2007, 7:02 PM
  4. Replies: 8