Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Strange Planning Movie AIB: All of the other planning movie threads

Strange Planning Movie AIB: All of the other planning movie threads

I saw an interesting movie this weekend on Lifetime (Yea, that Lifetime...Good Gawd just shoot me now). It was called The Colony and starred John Ritter (Yea, that John Ritter...See above parenthetical exclamation).

Anyway, it was about a Planned Community gone amuck with covenants including public dress codes, surgical removal of dog's vocal chords, in-home monitoring of activities by the developer, etc. At one point it was discovered that at closing, all of the homeowners had actually signed over their equity to the developer. All they really owned was the right to reside in the Colony. Here is Lifetime's summary:

[Lifetimetv.com quote:/ Company exec Rick Knowlton is persuaded by his boss to move into what seems to be an ideal community that is free from violence and crime. But Rick soon finds out that his family will have to sacrifice their freedom and privacy in order to reside in the colony. Even worse, escaping could be deadly. This chiller stars John Ritter and Hal Linden. /End Lifetimetv.com quote]

Anyone else catch this oddity?
    Last edited by jestes; 16 Aug 2004 at 4:34 PM.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I didn't catch it, but it reminds me of the X-files episode about planned communities. Sound maybe interesting enought to watch 15 minutes worth. Did you like it?

Aside from the obvious overplayed stereotypes typical of Lifetime, it was sort of interesting. I managed to watch about 30-45 minutes worth before I got occupied with other activities.

It did have some interesting moments. One in particular was when the developers announced that they had just received approval for incorporation as a municipality. Another was a scene where Ritter's wife entered the house to discover a team in white hazmat suits giving the house a once over. They said that they were testing for radon. It never really fully explained what they were doing though.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    I didn't catch it, but it reminds me of the X-files episode about planned communities. Sound maybe interesting enought to watch 15 minutes worth. Did you like it?
    That's what I was thinking. My sister TAPED that X-files episode and mailed it to me because I was living in government quarters on a military base at the time. They make planned communities look like hippie colonies. They dictate how tall your grass can be, what kind of plants you can have, etc. In the Mojave Desert, we were REQUIRED to have grass in the backyard. It was a constant battle to keep it alive -- not just for us either. Our neighbor had the same problem. I think it was a pretty common problem because they began giving away grass seed or some such. Then, when we were moving out, in addition to needing a perfect carpet of green lawn in the backyard, they made us remove the cacti and other succulents we had planted.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I didn't but it bears a strange resemblance to M. Night Shyamalan's The Village.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Best 'Nam movie
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 08 Mar 2005, 9:27 AM
  2. Is it a must see movie?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 01 Nov 2004, 3:26 PM
  3. Replies: 23