Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are we having fun yet?

Registered
    Jul 2003

Are we having fun yet?

There must be some evil moon or something in charge of Planet Earth at the moment. I know this is minor compared to the travails of Nerudite and ZG but:

1) My sister is being treated for cancer -- again. No, it is not a recurrence. It is a NEW cancer.
    2) My husband expects to file for divorce on Monday. Yes, it is something I want and I initiated (verbally, between him and I) but it is still a huge change in my life.
    3) Just to make sure my life is complete, when I moved the (heavier than hell) mohogany credenza an inch or so today, the back wheel snapped off. The hutch on top of it nearly slid through the closed window behind it. I then held onto the hutch, preventing it from sliding through the window, while my son emptied it so we could remove it from the credenza -- which will also need to be emptied so the wheels can be removed. There is stuff everywhere and I already have muscle fatigue from making sure the darn thing didn't slide through the window.
    4) Oh, yeah, my husband might come home with a new car today. He is out car shopping. I suppose this makes the need to increase our income -- ie have ME earn more -- kind of acute.

No, I don't want pity. I really don't. One of these days I will figure out how to convey my intent when I grousse about stuff like this. I hope other people are having more fun than I am. I genuinely had fantasies that today was the day I would accomplish x, y, and z....not the day when I would have a whole new crisis, just to make sure I cannot get to the items on my existing "to do" list. I think I need to go shower before I tackle the mess in my office and figure out what to do about it.

So what kinds of fun is everyone else up to this fine weekend?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Emptying my utility room. My spare room looks like a campsite and my living room looks like X-mas. Still have all the tools, sports stuff, misc. stuff tomorrow, don't know where I'll put it all. Grocery shopping in the pouring rain. My yard is flooded (too much rain lately, I guess). Didn't get everything moved back to the house today, so off for another night at Mom's house. Another day of hard labor tomorrow, then back to work on Mon.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Went with my Sister in Law car shopping so the low life dealers wouldn't try anything.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Well, ZG, that does make my weekend look Fun by comparison.

On the up side, I have now halfway emptied the credenza and I have concluded that this was the universe's way of suggesting that, "hey, stoopid, you really need to go through all this stuff and trash things and give certain things to hubby" -- a task I likely would never have felt I had "time" for if it were not forced upon me. Since trashing stuff is my number one favorite means to "clean house" and giving things away is my number two favorite, I would say that This is A Good Thing. :-C

Registered
    Oct 2003
    So far, my weekend consisted of:

- having a super long bad dream; sleep in to recover from it
    - a nice slow morning
    - a productive afternoon of writing up of 10 or 12 letters
    - an outing on a local ferry to the island to enjoy the sun
    - walked the dog
    - read a national newspaper
    - watched some DVDs
    - and eat along the way
    - soon off to bed

Tomorrow, not sure what I'm doing yet.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    With the invention of the DVR, I can do what I call "watch work"...

1) I find something I want to see, usually a sports game, and in this case the Olympics, put it on and pause the play.

2) Go work for an hour... I'm six units into the construction of 25 to 30 shelving units for the new bookstore.

3) Come back to the games and watch the 60 minutes of paused action in about 20 minutes.

4) Repeat until dark

5) Enjoy beverages
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Well, it is 3am and I probably have another hour of work to do before I can clear my bed enough to sleep. :rolleyes: I am exhausted. However, several bags of trash have gone out and some stuff has been handed over to my future ex to take with him when he goes. The place is still trashed and it will likely take a few days to complete the task but ....I really can't say I regret any of it. I have decided to not put the hutch back on top of the credenza and now both of my printers are there. Now I get to have a crisis about whether to sell the hutch or what. but it is too late to make any attempt at all at making a decision.

It has been eventful and tiring, but probably no more so than what Mastiff and others are up to. (If you believe in astrology, this can be "blamed" on the hard aspect involving Uranus that was exact on the 18th but is still exercising a sphere of influence. )

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Are we having fun?

Yes, the boys are here. We had a great seafood dinner Friday night at an out of the way place on the bayou. Went to my boss' house yesterday afternoon for a pool party & dinner (we made and brought the main course)....Yes, things are going well this weekend (lucky a-holes are still in bed at 9:20 am, damn, I wish I could sleep like them).

Any suggestions for dinner tonight?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    MZ, I too am seeing that this is a good time to get rid of stuff I don't need. We've only been in this house 7 years, but our utility room is crammed with stuff. I will have Conner ride the bikes over to Mom's to store in her garage, but I have to find room in the house for everything else, so something's gotta go!

RJ's dinner suggestion: one of our favorites is steak fajitas and yellow rice. Yummm.... Easy to make, and everyone can "build" their own the way they like them.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    MZ, I too am seeing that this is a good time to get rid of stuff I don't need. We've only been in this house 7 years, but our utility room is crammed with stuff.
    We have been here less than 4 years but that is a long time for us. The military usually moves us every 2 to 3 years and we usually move once locally after we have gotten more oriented to the area. We "should" have moved once locally here when my husband was given a chance to move us to government quarters but we turned it down. And then he requested a one year extension because of my health.

I think it is just incredible how much useless cr*p accumulates. I tripped across 3 remote controls for fans we no longer own and merrily pitched them in the trash. We initially kept the remotes when each fan broke because we still had two other fans and then one last fan. When the last fan broke and went into the trash, it never occurred to us to look for the extra remotes and trash them too. I am seriously looking forward to my office functioning better because of having gone through this. Of course, when life hands me lemons, I like to whip up some lemon chiffon pie. I hope you find your crisis as cathartic and valuable -- or more so, since it is a bigger crisis.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    What I have done and doing right now this weekend? Watching the Olympic Tennis matches of course I bet some are doing the same right now

Well, at least yesterday we got our first olymipc gold medal (sounds quite pathetic actually)

EDIT: make that, two gold medals in Tennis Sorry USA!
    Last edited by SkeLeton; 22 Aug 2004 at 4:32 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We had an okay weekend... drove 6 hours roundtrip to Calgary to pick up a big screen t.v. I got a deal on via ebay. We got home barely in time for the delivery of our new wonderfully comfortable king size bed (at 8 p.m. at night). So it was a very long day... especially since we were up late setting up the bed and the t.v. But getting fun new stuff makes the flood a little more palatable.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Well started off bad...had to take Betty the cat to the vet due to asthma attack..she is doing better. Sunday was a wonderful day of sailing with the hound dogs.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread