Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinal (maybe) buys a nest

Registered
    Aug 2001

Cardinal (maybe) buys a nest

If all goes well, I will be putting in an offer tomorrow. I may have to sell my soul to afford it, but then as an economic developer, I don't really have much use for one anyway.

http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1038932766

Here are a couple inside shots.

Here is the first floor plan...

and the upstairs.

Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Looks nice! Very spacious... perfect for nesting I like the loft space that is open to the lower level.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That is a great floor plan, and I like the details like the tray cielings and open banister. Good luck with it.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Looks like you will have plenty of room for guests.

At least you locating on the mountain side of I-25.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    WOW that is wonderful.

Don't expect digs like that when you come to visit me. Our old house is still in the fixer upper stage. And it may stay that way for a while with me unemployed. But that's ok, it is home and I love it anyway. We are looking forward to having you!!!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Attractive place and nice big kitchen...everybody hangs in the kitchen. Looks like a party central house. And can I use your not-much-need-for-a-soul comment when I enter the home buying market this fall (paraphrased)? Good luck.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Attractive place and nice big kitchen...
    The kitchen is one of the best things about it. The oven/microwave is built-in and the stove is on an island.

The house is new enough that the owners have not put in a back yard - a plus for me since I have enough flowers to transplant to pretty much fill it anyway.

The model offers an option for a second fireplace in the master bedroom. This house does not have that. It does have the separate shower and tub, though.

The basement is almost 900 square feet, and unfinished. I am thinking... wine cellar...workshop...storage...and railroad. I could have a really nice layout down there.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Cardinal....two (2) very-very OTW comments......

My wife is a Bronco fan. She says the house needs Bronco "stuff". Don't do it. You are probably a Packer fan.....OK......but you really should think about being a Steeler fan. Steeler colors in Bronco territory would be oh so good.

Good model railroading books include anything by John Armstrong, such as "Fundamentals Of Layout Planning" (or some such title like that) and the story of "The Sunset Valley RR" (now out of print). One (1) of these days I'm going to get healthy and build by "pike" up in the huge second story of my huge garage. Perfect large space for a RR. (Upper Michigan ore mines, of course.)

Choo-Choo Steeler Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    .... I am thinking... wine cellar... I could have a really nice layout down there.
    Thinking? THINKING? Don't give it a second thought. Do it!! This Cyburbian would be drooling at the prospects.....BTW, if you have a laefest there, make sure you first upgrade the fart fans in those windowless water closets.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    the living room looks big enough for a Cyburbia House Par-tay...

Registered
    Feb 1998
    OK, I give up. What is a "Jack and Jill" room?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    OK, I give up. What is a "Jack and Jill" room?
    Google answer is
    Jack-and-Jill bathroom: A bathroom flanked and shared by two bedrooms. Entrance to the bathroom is through either bedroom.
    Oddball

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    (sees price, spits out coffee all over keyboard)

I'm telling my realtor to keep it around $150K for me. Maybe I should be looking at suffering more.

Looks nice! I do like the Colorado mountain lodge/Arts and Crafts look.

FWIW, Bailey was whelped and weaned in Erie.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I like the "loft" feature and the "open to below" space. Since I am tall, I rather like it when a house has some areas with high ceilings. When we lived in Germany and visited all those castles on mountain tops and looked out over the valley below, I became aware of how mind-expanding it is to literally be able to take "the long view" and how psychologicaly profound that was. (Naturally, at the moment, I happen to live in a glorified walk-in closet -- 955 sq.ft. with FOUR family members total. )

When we bought a house in Kansas, I kind of bought it for the kitchen and the fairly open layout of the public areas. Good kitchens rock!

Re JNA's comments: Forget "guests". He might want to consider "subletting" to pay his mortgage!

Good luck, Cardinal!

PS: I am wondering when you are going to Officially change your "location" from "The Great State of Wisconsin" to something a little more accurate.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    That's a mighty big place for a lone planner! You could fit Chateau Tranplanner into it 3 times and probably have room to spare. Still, I'm jealous about the kick-ass model railway you'll be able to stuff down in the basement.

I'm surprised that you're looking at something in a "standard" subdivision - thought you wanted some land...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    it's actually nice for a new home.. good detailing. Doesn't look as cheap as the $300,000 midwest vinyl boxes.

But, Cardinal, a front-loaded two stall garage? for shame!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I echo Tranplanner - 3bd, 3bath - that's alot of house for one guy.

Good luck with the house. I'm sure your going to be doing alot of cleaning.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    it's actually nice for a new home.. good detailing. Doesn't look as cheap as the $300,000 midwest vinyl boxes.

But, Cardinal, a front-loaded two stall garage? for shame!
    Indeed.
    boiker's right. The level of detail in that house is much higher than what you'll find in most new homes around here in the same price range. What do you plan to do with all of that space?

Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    My wife is a Bronco fan. She says the house needs Bronco "stuff". Don't do it. You are probably a Packer fan.....OK......but you really should think about being a Steeler fan. Steeler colors in Bronco territory would be oh so good.
    The basement den of the house my sister and brother-in-law bought last year was painted up in Pittsburgh yellow and black. Strange considering that they live in South Carolina.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    What a gorgeous looking house. I can see traits of Frank Lloyd Wright borrowed in design of the house's exterior. Very nice detailings, such as the crown mouldings, inside the house. I like the house plan; it flows well and is well-planned.

What are you going to do with the optional desk/office area? Isn't it odd to have an office in the garage, anyways?

Beside, isn't it very hard to find a house small enough for one person? Developers don't seem to realize that there are buyers who will live alone, do they? And why do they keep building so many big houses? I simply don't get it - the logic, other than it being a money-making situation for the developers to build big houses instead of small houses. I'd love to see a subdivision of smaller and attractive-looking homes!

Sorry for that mini-rant. That came from my recent driving around the edge of Greater Toronto Area.

Good luck with your purchase and always remember not to set your heart on any home because there is always another one out there. It's not safe to deal with money when your heart is invested in something more than your money is.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That's one fine looking house... I have a feeling my parents will be building something of a similar design (although a different floor plan) up in the Sierras as their retirement house. The architecture just lends itself so well to the mountains

They did a great job of making the garage, despite it's location, blend into the rest of the architecture. There's nothing I hate more than beautiful details to the exterior of the building being ruined by a crappy metal garage that isn't even a similar colour to the rest of the house.

Like Tran, I was expecting something a little more rural... but I can see the appeal in this house. Very nice!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Many questions...

I had hoped for land, but once you reach an acre or two in area, you are not likely to find anything less than $600,000 within an hour's drive.

I am not fond of the front-loaded garage jutting out from the house, but it was one of the compromises I had to make. The floor plan shows all options. This house was not built with the office, just a two-car garage.

I might actually like a smaller home, but the ones that are built have got it wrong. They think smaller means "smaller rooms." It gets to the point where you can't fit anything in them. Two bedrooms with a third bedroom or study would be fine. Builders also make houses smaller by leaving out rooms. I saw a great house backing to open space, but it had no dining room. The third thing with smaller homes is that builders think the people who buy them are doing so because of the price. They do not build with nice finishes and better appliances, like the built-ins in the kitchen in this house.

Yes, I will have a great railroad. And yes, there is plenty of room for visiting Cyburbians.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Wow, that is a great house!

Can you walk to work? When you move in, try to meet all your neighbors in one week.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Wow, that is a great house!

Can you walk to work? When you move in, try to meet all your neighbors in one week.
    Work is about a half hour away, by car. I plan to sit out on the porch cleaning my guns while the neighbors walk by. Always make a good first impression.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    When you move in, try to meet all your neighbors in one week.
    I plan to sit out on the porch cleaning my guns while the neighbors walk by. Always make a good first impression.
    What no barking dogs ?
    Dare you to fly a Nebraska Flag
    Oddball

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Work is about a half hour away, by car. I plan to sit out on the porch cleaning my guns while the neighbors walk by. Always make a good first impression.
    When you are sitting out on the front porch, make sure you shake your fist at any kids that walk by. Yell at them things like, "Young whippersnappers!"

Perhaps an old couch on the front porch would be nice. Something in purple and white, stripes.

Of course, an old Fridgidaire icebox.....for your beer.

Fist Shaking Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Cardinal is back!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 09 May 2005, 12:45 PM
  2. JNA buys a new car
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3