Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cardinal (maybe) buys a nest

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Cardinal, it looks like a great home. Good luck with your purchase!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    So Cardinal, how did it go?

Registered
    May 2003
    That's one hell of a snout.

But really, is two-car enough for you? A single guy needs at least three cars to really be pimpin'

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    That's one hell of a snout.

But really, is two-car enough for you? A single guy needs at least three cars to really be pimpin'
    Do you have to be such an ass? Always nay-saying everyone buying a home.. is it only because you cannot afford to buy your own that you need to dig on someone who is more financially stable? Why the cyberwoody for negativity?
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    Do you have to be such an ass? Always nay-saying everyone buying a home.. is it only because you cannot afford to buy your own that you need to dig on someone who is more financially stable? Why the cyberwoody for negativity?
    Well said.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Well said.
    [mod hat]

Please, no direct personal attacks......[/mod hat]
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2003
    Habanero, dear, I thought you'd be happy to know that I wasn't singling you out when I made those comments about your house. I love all cyburbians equally.

I find it a bit.. ironic? that even the people who should understand the consequences of sprawl as a matter of their profession still buy into it.

And you're right. I can't afford a "home" right now, but hopefully I will in a few years, and then I'll buy sensible City accomadations: either a condo or a twoflat (greystone twoflats are beautiful and renting out the second unit really takes a bite out of the morgage).

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    And you're right. I can't afford a "home" right now, but hopefully I will in a few years, and then I'll buy sensible City accomadations: either a condo or a twoflat (greystone twoflats are beautiful and renting out the second unit really takes a bite out of the morgage).
    Sometimes, though, you don't have a choice.

When I was working in Florida, I was employed in a part of town that was far from where most young professionals and sensible city accomodations were. I also had two or more night meetings a week, so it was a must to be close to work -- I didn't want to spend 160 minutes a day on the road.

Sure, there were small, sensible houses near work. They were also very inexpensive, affordable by good 'ol boys named Bubba and Beauregard. My neighbors would be flying Confederate flags, parking heavy equipment and eighteen-wheeler cabs in their driveway, or at the very least just not maintaining the property. I HAD to buy a big house, just to avoid being a young professional among rednecks. 2000 square feet of house (2,700 under roof, actually) and a 15,000 gallon pool on a 12,500 square foot lot was more than one person needs, but the only other alternaties were spending a LOT of time on the road -- gas AND expensive Orange County tolls -- or sharing a cul-de-sac of 1,200 square foot starter homes with the Grand Wizard and several former Jerry Springer guests.

Sure, I'll be called an elitist for this, but so what.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Once again a member of Cyburbia has the audacity to select a home for themselves without appeasing everyone else first.

His neighbors are about 10' away. This isn't large lot stuff here. Do you really know what kind of selection there is for him with his income, job location etc.? Do you know what Cardinal's future plans are? Boulder's a very expensive place even for an economic developer with no soul.

Promoting urban development and urban living is good. Ridiculing people who decide to live in an already built suburban home is bad.

Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    What do you plan to do with all of that space?
    I would recommend a LaeFest

I really like the design and layout of that place. The yard looks manageable, and the inside looks awesome. I really like the open concept on the lower level.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Habanero, dear, I thought you'd be happy to know that I wasn't singling you out when I made those comments about your house. I love all cyburbians equally.
    Yeah, I figured you disdain us all equally.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I find it a bit.. ironic? that even the people who should understand the consequences of sprawl as a matter of their profession still buy into it.
    For some planning is a job. For others it is a way of life. And the varying philosophies and tenents of planning can conflict with themselves. It's still to each his own. I personally would feel like a hypocrite if I didn't live in a modest home downtown and walks/segway for most of my daily needs. I do my best to practice what I preach. For me it's a way of life, not just a profession.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I put in the offer yesterday and should hear back tomorrow morning. I expect he will counter.

Believe me, I set out looking for something else. I would have loved a ranch or older home on a couple acres, which would allow me to have an acre of organic food and another acre for my native plants. I found that, but it started at $550,000. There is no way I would pay that, even if I could afford it.

In my price range, the same money would get me 1) a 1200 square foot two-bedroom condo, or very small ranch in need of extensive upgrading in Boulder; 2) a modest, contemporary style home in need of repair in the mountains; or 3) a newer home in one of the adjoining communities. There really is not much else available in the market. I considered commute vs. how much house I could have vs. how big a garden I could plant vs. likely appreciation and resell ability. This worked out to be the best choice.

I really do wish that the garage were not on the front of the house. Unfortunately, the only way to do that is to make the lot bigger (which reduces density) or to make it back-loaded off an alley (which eliminates a rear yard. That may be fine for some people, but not me.

The lot is only 6,600 square feet. My previous lot was 7,405,000 square feet. That works out to 6.5 units per acre. My previous location had a density of 0.006 units per acre.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003

Off-topic:
    Jordon, you are one of the more brilliant young men I know. Being brilliant has a serious social downside, especially when you are young. Brilliant children and young adults often get enormous and inappropriate responsibilities heaped upon them by adults who think they are mentally capable but fail to see that they are still young and perhaps not emotionally ready for such burdens. Then when the young person assumes they should get the power commensurate with their responsibilities, they are often treated like they are being uppity and disrespectful and attempts are made to put them in their place. The inconsistencies become a form of abuse and negatively socialize many brilliant youth. Additionally, "kids" are often dismissed as "wrong" simply based on their age. Such repeated experiences take their toll. Being "good" often has little benefit for someone subjected to such expectations and being "bad" may inadvertently meet their needs for intellectual stimulation. In a "lose/lose" situation, getting something for being "bad" is often better than getting nothing at all for being "good" and then it can eventually become an ingrained habit. However, such habits can be broken and it is possible to learn to interact more effectively in social situations, if you want to. You might benefit from attending something like "Beyond IQ" or the annual "Hollingworth Gifted Child Conference". If you cannot manage that, I think it might benefit you, personally, to join a list like tagfam of tagpdq and lurk a bit or surf the Hoagies Gifted site.

Please take my comments in the caring manner they are intended and not as criticism. You aren't that much older than my brilliant, sarcastic, idealistic 17 year old whom I adore. So I don't see you the way most people here seem to see you and I rarely take offense at anything you say (unless I am feverish and doped up and then, heck, I take offense at everything anyone says ). Nor do I think you need to be "fixed". But if you would like to reduce the amount of social friction you live with, it can be done and it isn't necessarily all that hard, really.

Back on topic: Cardinal, good luck with the offer.

Registered
    May 2003
    Who told you I was smart? B-)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    No one. Please feel free to disregard my silly observations. I don't know nothin'. I have just spent the last almost 6 years studying the topic.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    door...wide....open....must.....resist....urge..... :d:
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I accepted the counter-offer today. I will be closing on the 15th of September.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Congratulations, Cardinal.

I hope everything will fall in place nice and smoothly until the closing date.

Wow, that was so fast! I'm almost shock because it's seemed so short compare to what I've heard from others who had to go through a number of counter-offers, multiple bids, etc. Maybe the housing bubble, something that I suspects that is happening around here, is not so prevalent in the Boulder area.

Here's a for the party!

Registered
    Jul 2003

Awesome!

Congrats on the good news.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I accepted the counter-offer today. I will be closing on the 15th of September.
    Very good news, Card. I'm green with envy and can't wait to make a similar post in the next few months.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2003
    How wonderful!!!!

Sept. 15th. Does that cause issue for the Kansas Laefest? Won't you want to be with your new house moving and such. I would rather than being in Salina KS..

Oh that is just about anyday that I would rather be somewhere else other than Salina, KS. (But ....am... not.. moving...resist urge to think those thoughts...)

Anyway Congrats. I look forward to visiting the party palace!!!!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    How wonderful!!!!

Sept. 15th. Does that cause issue for the Kansas Laefest? Won't you want to be with your new house moving and such. I would rather than being in Salina KS..

Oh that is just about anyday that I would rather be somewhere else other than Salina, KS. (But ....am... not.. moving...resist urge to think those thoughts...)

Anyway Congrats. I look forward to visiting the party palace!!!!
    It will not affect the Kansas Laefest at all. I have to be in St. Louis on the 19th, so driving to Salinas on the 18th is a given. I plan to head back to Wisconsin after the conference to take a few days to dig up my plants and supervise moving all of my furniture out of the old house, then start moving into the new house.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Congrats on the new house! It sure looks like a nice house to settle down

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    It will not affect the Kansas Laefest at all. I have to be in St. Louis on the 19th, so driving to Salinas on the 18th is a given. I plan to head back to Wisconsin after the conference to take a few days to dig up my plants and supervise moving all of my furniture out of the old house, then start moving into the new house.

WWWOOOHHOOO!!!

PARTY!!!!!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Cardinal is back!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 09 May 2005, 11:45 AM
  2. JNA buys a new car
    Friday Afternoon Club