Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How's your weather?

Registered
    Jul 2002

How's your weather?

It's c-c-c-cold here! -6C (20F) overnight and hail stones coating the ground this morning!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3005274a10,00.html

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    It's c-c-c-cold here! -6C (20F) overnight and hail stones coating the ground this morning!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3005274a10,00.html
    It is "winter" you know.

I'd venture that August is equivalent to our February. I'll tell you right now that if it -6 C here in February I'll be happy. Hopefully I won't be here to witness February.

With all those sheep you don't have a warm sweater?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    With all those sheep you don't have a warm sweater?
    Yeah, I'm wearing a turquoise woollen jersey today. You wouldn't believe the variety of colours of sheep you can get these days

-6C is very cold for us! We have Spring flowers starting to come through and lambs being born!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    -6C is very cold for us! We have Spring flowers starting to come through and lambs being born!
    You've just explained it. Lambs always choose the worst day of the year to be born on. Makes having the vet come out that much more pleasurable when you've got a breech birth.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    It's a comfortable 296 Kelvin outside.

I haven't had to turn on the air conditioning once this August. Temperatures have been in the 70s/low 20s. 6:00 PM, and it's 73F/23C now.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2003
    Unseasonably cool. Only 95 degrees midday.

Disclaimer. It does get hot, but cools down in the evening. Lots of people walk around town just because it's so nice between 6 and 9.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Wulf9
    Unseasonably cool. Only 95 degrees midday......
    Ah, Wulf9. I remember traveling through your city many times when the weather this time of year was simply scorching. The last time I was through there was last June traveling from seeing my family on the Mendocino County coast to here. Your Main Street has really improved its looks since the by-pass got built. You should post a few pics.

BTW, weather here in the upper 80's today, low's in the lower 70's tonight. Humidity and temps rising for the rest of the week.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2004
    We had record breaking temperatures here today. It was 29C. I think that's about 88F. That would be great if there wasn't so much smoke because of the wildfires in other parts of the state.

-6C would be pretty warm for a winter here. Last winter, I lost count of how many days below freezing we had in a row. I just remember it taking forever to get ready to ski because of all the clothes I had to wear. Three pairs of tights, 6 tops, 2 pairs of gloves, two hats....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    It's been comfortable here the past few days, about 20-25 celcius. It's finally turned nice after a cold wet "summer". Meant to renting a cottage up north next week...the long range forecast says highs of 15 degrees.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    it's been above or at 90F only 3 times this year.. usually we have 22-25 90F+ days.

Today is cloudy, cool in the low-80s.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    This has been the mildest summer I can ever remember. Usually we have a string of 7 to 10 days above 100 F, but this year I think we've only been over 100 twice and very rarely have we been in the mid-90's. We've gotten some moisture which helps alot. Our water usage is down as a result because people haven't been watering their lawns as much as usual. The aquifer we pump from is up slightly after years of steady decline. We need another mid-summer of 1993 to help things out.

When I used to gripe about the oppressive summer heat and humidity in New Jersey my dad always suggested that New Zealand had the best weather he ever expereinced. Well, you've just shot that fine memory of dear old dad right to h3ll. Thanks a lot.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Date, Max. Temp, Min. Temp, Ave, Departure from Normal
    8/11 72 55 64 -13
    8/12 68 54 61 -16
    8/13 73 53 63 -14
    8/14 77 48 63 -14
    8/15 79 50 65 -12
    8/16 80 50 65 -12

unseasonablely nice! :-}
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Cool and Wet. The apple farmers are predicting a bumper crop of NY apples.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    What happened to Global Warming?

The roomers about trees changing colors in the mid west, I noticed one the other day and just about drove off the road.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    72 and sunny...wonderful outside... although Sunday I had about 5 inches of rain...that fell in a 5 mile diameter. We had rock slides and flooding...I even had water perking up the floor of my basement....and I have never had water in the basement before.

What happened to the hot dry summer they predicted????
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    What happened to Global Warming?
    Let's not confuse "weather" with "climate".

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Let's not confuse "weather" with "climate".
    Well then just tell the Sun to ease off a smidgeon on its energy output. The ongoing and completely normal slight variations in the power of ol' Sol have far more impact on life here on Terra Firma than anything we insignificant little humans can ever hope to do.

Anyway, low-mid 20s here, slightly cooler than normal. Last week, we had a couple of nights of lows in the single digits, coldest August lows on record. July was unseasonably dry, too.

Mike

Registered
    Sep 1998
    Prairie Weather - its been the coldest summer since my province began keeping records.

Like a good squirel who gathers nuts for the winter, I too am preparing for the inevitable onset of winter. This past weekend, I got 1/2 of my attached 2 car garage insulated and should be able to finish up this weekend.

Yesterday during my all too brief lunch hour I had the a heating contractor at the house measuring my abode for a new high efficiency gas furnace and tankless water heater scheduled for installation September 14, 2004.

What else can I say but let it snow!
    Last edited by pandersen; 17 Aug 2004 at 12:33 PM.

The weather is strange here for the time of year but I am not complaining. August in south Mississippi is usually the "dog days" of summer. It is not unheard of for us to have several days in a row of 100 degree air temps with heat indices of 110-115. The last two weeks we have had daytime temps in the mid 80's to low 90's with nearly no humidity. Nights have been dipping into the 50's lately. I cannot remember an August that has been this mild. We may actually have an autumn this year.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well, yesterday it was raining lightly, and now it's a sunny day, currently there's around 16C (60F) An it looks like it's going to be a sunny week But I can't say the same for Valdivia, that although is currently partly cloudy, it will rain around this week (that's not new at all )

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Holy crap! 178km/hr winds, flooding everywhere, and we've been told to go home from work while we can! Waves coming up over the road, rivers bursting their banks, slips, trees down, roads closed... I'm fine, off home and will update you guys later!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How's the pay in transportation planning?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 20 Mar 2008, 11:25 AM
  2. How's your gaydar?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 07 Dec 2004, 7:23 PM
  3. How's the job?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 82
    Last post: 07 Nov 2003, 8:01 AM
  4. How's this for Reality Television?