Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rocky Horror Picture Show

Registered
    Feb 2004

Rocky Horror Picture Show

I never 'did' Rocky Horror Picture Show. I recently saw it for the first time on video at a friend's house. I haven't lived in a cave all my life and I AM aware that people dress up as characters in the movie, dance, recite lines from the show and take props (toast and squirt guns) into the theaters. How such an activity evolved in the first place I could not guess (a hybrid Mystery Science Theater/musical/ with trans gendered themes?), but I am hoping my fellow Cyburbanites can clue me in as to what makes a good Rocky Horror experience from a poor one.....
    Some questions:
    How old were you when you first went?
    How old were you when you last went?
    Did you dress up in character?
    How many times have you seen it?

Lastly, I'm curious if anyone in a country other than the US (except Canada - you're exempt... as the soon to be 51st state in the US) has ever heard or experienced the Rocky Horror phenomenon or even heard of anything like it where you're at?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I have never seen the movie and don't have the desire to EVER see it.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    • I was about 15 years old.
    • Last went when I was 23.
    • I've never dressed in character, but always brought "props."
    • I've seen it at least 2 dozen times.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I never 'did' Rocky Horror Picture Show. I recently saw it for the first time on video at a friend's house. I haven't lived in a cave all my life and I AM aware that people dress up as characters in the movie, dance, recite lines from the show and take props (toast and squirt guns) into the theaters. How such an activity evolved in the first place I could not guess (a hybrid Mystery Science Theater/musical/ with trans gendered themes?), but I am hoping my fellow Cyburbanites can clue me in as to what makes a good Rocky Horror experience from a poor one.....
    Some questions:
    First went - 18 (in 1978)
    Last went to the movies to see it - 21 (now own the video so can watch it whenever I want)
    Did not dress as a character although many in the group I went with did. Did bring rice and other assorted props.
    Too many to count - was showing just off campus at Bradley on Friday's at midnight for my entire four years of undergrad and when I need a good laugh I watch it. Amazing how many careers got started with this flick.

Good experience - must be a midnight showing after many . Must have a rowdy group with you with limited inhibitions. Theater (one of my degrees) and art majors a definite bonus as we have no inhibitions.
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Close to SGB...

- Maybe 14 or 15
    - Last went in college (2nd go around) in '89 or so
    - Never dressed up, ALWAYS brought props (squirt gun, toast, toilet paper, rice, etc.)
    - I've been a couple dozen times. We used to go down on South Street in Philly.

Oh, and you just have to learn the "Time Warp"...

RiffRaff:
    It's astounding;
    Time is fleeting;
    Madness takes its toll.
    But listen closely...

Magenta:
    Not for very much longer.

RiffRaff:
    I've got to keep control.
    I remember doing the time-warp
    Drinking those moments when
    The Blackness would hit me

RiffRaff:
    And the void would be calling...

Transylvanians:
    Let's do the time-warp again.

Narrator:
    It's just a jump to the left.

All:
    And then a step to the right.

Narrator:
    With your hands on your hips.

All:
    You bring your knees in tight.
    But it's the pelvic thrust
    That really drives you insane.

Magenta:
    It's so dreamy, oh fantasy free me.
    So you can't see me, no, not at all.
    In another dimension, with voyeuristic intention,
    Well secluded, I see all.

RiffRaff:
    With a bit of a mind flip

Magenta:
    You're into the time slip.

RiffRaff:
    And nothing can ever be the same.

Magenta:
    You're spaced out on sensation.

RiffRaff:
    Like you're under sedation.

All:

Columbia:
    Well I was walking down the street just a-having a think
    When a snake of a guy gave me an evil wink.
    He shook-a me up, he took me by surprise.
    He had a pickup truck, and the devil's eyes.
    He stared at me and I felt a change.
    Time meant nothing, never would again.

All:

Narrator:
    It's just a jump to the left.

All:
    And then a step to the right.

Narrator:
    With your hands on your hips.

All:
    You bring your knees in tight.
    But it's the pelvic thrust
    That really drives you insane.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    • I was about 15 years old.
    • Last went when I was 23.
    • I've never dressed in character, but always brought "props."
    • I've seen it at least 2 dozen times.
    How did you know what 'to do' the first time you saw it?
    Also, I have heard that the show is 'done' a little differently depending on what city you see it in? Is this true? A friend of mine who was a real Rockyholic mentioned that Louisville, KY was THE place to see it. Somehow, I remain skeptical.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Saw it first at 17 at a midnight showing. Didn't know anything about the dressing and props but loved to watch everyone else. Think I went on other time and enjoyed the props alot. Have watched it a few times on TV but definately not the same.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    How did you know what 'to do' the first time you saw it?
    Also, I have heard that the show is 'done' a little differently depending on what city you see it in? Is this true? A friend of mine who was a real Rockyholic mentioned that Louisville, KY was THE place to see it. Somehow, I remain skeptical.
    • You never go to the RHPS the first time alone. I went with friends, who instructed me to sit back and ejoy the collective chaos.
    • I've only seen the show in two locations: East Hartford, CT and northern NY during college days. Both experiences were similar, although the cinema near campus did try to prevent "props" from being brought in.
    • You must go once in your lifetime. I believe somewhere this is carved in stone as law.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My experience is similar to SGB too...

First time: 1985 (15 y.o.)
    Last time: 1995 or so

Probably attended a dozen or so times. Dressed up, but never 'acted'... always brought props.

Most memorable time: Some Jewish friends and I decided to go during Passover. We were staying at my friend's house, so there was no bread to be had for throwing during the toast. So we took matzoh... wow... that stuff can really fly! We beamed some guy in the back of the head with some onion matzoh, and he wasn't too happy. He couldn't figure out who did it, since the theatre was packed, so we all got a good laugh out of it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SGB
    You must go once in your lifetime. I believe somewhere this is carved in stone as law.
    Regrettably, I turn 40 next Friday and from the sounds of it the median age for ending this type of activity is mid 20's. if I went now I'd probably end up on a child molester list! That's why I'm asking you all what the experience was like.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I saw it for the first time maybe five years ago. Seen it once or twice since then. Any movie that has Susan Sarandon in her bra for much of the movie is okay with me.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Regrettably, I turn 40 next Friday and from the sounds of it the median age for ending this type of activity is mid 20's. if I went now I'd probably end up on a child molester list! That's why I'm asking you all what the experience was like.

The experience cannot be easily explained, as it depends on venue and the crowd.

[Yoda]
    Go, you must.
    Age not matter.
    Imagination and humor matter.
    [/Yoda]

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004

GOTTA GO, my wife has never been for the full experience and if it ever shows up out here at the theaters again it is on our must do list! Even when my current 6 year old is old enough I will take him!

LET YOUR HAIR DOWN AND ENJOY!

CURRENT AGE 44
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    1st time - undergrad sometime between 77-80
    Can you believe it was even shown that early in Utah
    last time - on cable tv sometime between when I was in my late 30's -early 40's
    # 3 - no, just a spectator to the spectacle of it all.
    #4 - a couple.
    Last edited by JNA; 17 Aug 2004 at 3:00 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Some questions:
    I was 18, a frosh in college when I first saw it.
    I last saw it about a year ago...I own the DVD and it tells you how to "play along."
    Never dressed up.
    I've seen it start to finish only once.

In high school, we had this old theater called The Madison...an old one-screen theater that would "do" the RHPS thing every Halloween. The Madison is now chopped into 6 or 8 screens and is closed down becaue who wants to watch movies in a closet?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    I have never seen the movie and don't have the desire to EVER see it.
    I've never experienced the pagentry of the movie in the theater, but I've seen it a couple of times on cable television. I enjoy the movie, but I'm not a rabid fan like some. I think that it's a good movie. I'll persuade Planderella to see it. :-}
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Alright alright already! You guys have badgered me into going. I always liked Pee Wee Herman anyways...oh darn, it's not playing at any theatres locally. 8-|

Registered
    Jul 2002

Magenta

I was 30 when I first and last saw RHPS. We were on our way to our new home in Maine after having just been married (1979). Saw it in downtown Boston. We didn't dress up but a lot of "different" people did. They knew all the lines and comebacks. We couldn't figure out why the seats under the balcony were empty. We found out when the squirt guns and toast came out. I wouldn't mind going again if I could ever attain that higher level of conciousness.
    Last edited by Tom R; 17 Aug 2004 at 3:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    I wouldn't mind going again if I could ever attain that higher level of conciousness.
    I'm sure seeing it while tripping would probably cast a whole new perspective on the experience...hmmmm. :5

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I've never been to RHPS, but would love to go. My brother, in LA, goes to MANY sing a longs - most recently Moulin Rouge, where everyone dresses up and sings along. We have a Sound of Music and Wizard of Oz sing along somewhere in the Berkshires that is inevitably on a Tuesday night when I have planning board.

Registered
    Jul 2002

magenta

I'm sure seeing it while tripping would probably cast a whole new perspective on the experience...hmmmm. :5
    NOT at THAT level of conciousness. Anyone who does that might walk out a lamp shade.
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    I've never been to RHPS, but would love to go. My brother, in LA, goes to MANY sing a longs - most recently Moulin Rouge, where everyone dresses up and sings along. We have a Sound of Music and Wizard of Oz sing along somewhere in the Berkshires that is inevitably on a Tuesday night when I have planning board.
    I want to watch The Wizard of OZ while lstening to the Dark Side of the Moon. Really groovy.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 17 Aug 2004 at 4:29 PM.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    I want to watch The Wizard of OZ while lstening to the Dark Side of the Moon. Really groovy.
    Ahhhh, Dark Side of the Rainbow. Make sure you wait till the third roar of the MGM lion before hitting the start button. Amazing all the 'coincidences' one can find..

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Ahhhh, Dark Side of the Rainbow. Make sure you wait till the third roar of the MGM lion before hitting the start button. Amazing all the 'coincidences' one can find..
    I've been dying to do this. And then do it again with my father, who can remember vividly seeing TWOZ in the movie theater as a kid. I'd have to give him the lyric sheet to DSOTM, though.

On second thought, at his age this might be asking just a bit much of my Dad.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    ...because who wants to watch movies in a closet?

Erm... Let's not go there, okay?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I wished I had seen it in the theater...but have watched in on tv a few times. It is a hysterical movie...and the music is great.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Rocky Piro Comes to Denver CPD
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Oct 2012, 2:05 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last post: 06 Jan 2010, 3:20 PM
  3. Will you dare to see Rocky Balboa?