Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New Zealand Weather

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

New Zealand Weather

Just read this morning that Wellington, NZ has been hit by a winter storm.

Hope you're okay JNL!!!

Wow! High winds, flooding, hail, snow, mudslides. Looks pretty rough. Hope everything is alright for Cyburbia's favorite Kiwi!
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I posted this yesterday in the 'how's your weather' thread:

Holy crap! 178km/hr winds, flooding everywhere, and we've been told to go home from work while we can! Waves coming up over the road, rivers bursting their banks, slips, trees down, roads closed... I'm fine, off home and will update you guys later!
    So anyway, I'm alive and well! Was pretty exciting! The trip to work yesterday took about 4x as long as normal as I navigated around flooding, and then I arrived and they told us to go home! I got home okay, and enjoyed an unscheduled day off work. My apartment building is pretty indestructible. I read some more of Horatio Hornblower's adventures, baked a chocolate cake, and reviewed some of the strategies that will be my responsibility in my new job!

Dad couldn't get to work yesterday because he catches the train from where he lives and the rail tracks are built along hillsides so get covered in slips when it rains heavily!

This morning I got to work fine but there is quite a lot of debris around, like trees washed up on the beach. Apparently sewerage is a bit of a problem in the central city - storm water system couldn't handle it.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3007484a10,00.html
    Last edited by JNL; 18 Aug 2004 at 5:39 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    ... baked a chocolate cake,...
    [drool]Mmmmm..... chocolate cake [/drool]

No dinner yet... meeting starts in twenty minutes... won't be over until eight or nine....
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Help on the way

Quote Originally posted by JNL
    I posted this yesterday in the 'how's your weather' thread:

So anyway, I'm alive and well! Was pretty exciting! The trip to work yesterday took about 4x as long as normal as I navigated around flooding, and then I arrived and they told us to go home! I got home okay, and enjoyed an unscheduled day off work. My apartment building is pretty indestructible. I read some more of Horatio Hornblower's adventures, baked a chocolate cake, and reviewed some of the strategies that will be my responsibility in my new job!

Dad couldn't get to work yesterday because he catches the train from where he lives and the rail tracks are built along hillsides so get covered in slips when it rains heavily!

This morning I got to work fine but there is quite a lot of debris around, like trees washed up on the beach. Apparently sewerage is a bit of a problem in the central city - storm water system couldn't handle it.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3007484a10,00.html
    Don't worry the relief ship should reach you in 3 to 6 months for additional aid (aide? ) As long as they don't stop in Hawaii, Tonga, Fiji, Tahiti or any of the other islands with beaches on the way...

I hope it clears up soon, weather like that is no fun
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yikes! Weather like that sure ain't fun... Just tell me it isn't going eastwards towards here Glad to know you're ok!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Mar 2008, 10:52 AM
  2. UK - New Zealand is this a possible shift?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Feb 2007, 5:02 PM
  3. Planning in New Zealand
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 May 2005, 6:05 PM
  4. Art in New Zealand
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Aug 2002, 7:31 PM
  5. Wellington, New Zealand