Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Alcohol without liquid??

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

Alcohol without liquid??

My County is poised to ban these machines that deliver alcohol without liquid:

http://www.awolmachine.com/

AWOL machine turns alcohol into a vapor and simply lets the alcohol enter the body through the lungs. No absorption through the other organs thus eliminating the dreaded hangover.

I would miss the wine and beer.... getting drunk is not my reason for alcohol..it is just a occasional side effect.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've never heard of them before -- maybe Cleveland is a backwater town after all -- but as shown on the Web site, they do look caption contest-worthy.

What's the fun of getting drunk without appreciating the art of the bartender, distiller, brewer or vitner? Alsohol brings a unique, unduplicatable taste to liquids, and it's all lost with something like AWOL.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Hmmm, i guess it would be good if you were meeting friends out who had been drinking for hours before your arrival. You could use the AWOL machine to play "catch-up." Other than that, I can't see using this machine. The reason I like drinking is the social aspect and the taste of liquor or beer, not to get hammered (although I have no complaints about that by-product).
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Why make it illegal? Lets face it, for some people (i.e. alcoholics) the whole point of imbibing alcohol is for the buzz and they're going to ingest alcohol in one form or another anyways, why force these folks to have to partake liquid as opposed to vapor? Does it really make a difference how it's ingested? I say these folks should be able to abandon pretenses.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004

Exactly

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Why make it illegal? Lets face it, for some people (i.e. alcoholics) the whole point of imbibing alcohol is for the buzz and they're going to ingest alcohol in one form or another anyways, why force these folks to have to partake liquid as opposed to vapor? Does it really make a difference how it's ingested? I say these folks should be able to abandon pretenses.
    How about an IV drip solution 151 proof rum and saline .....yumm.....even faster way to get tanked....or a patch that supplies a constant stream of booze to the body....or maybe even eye drops and ear drops?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    How about an IV drip solution 151 proof rum and saline .....yumm.....even faster way to get tanked....or a patch that supplies a constant stream of booze to the body....or maybe even eye drops and ear drops?
    Yes - all of the above are currently legal. Might get few furtive glances sitting at the corner bar with an IV drip but perfectly legal yes.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have never heard of these before...

I wouldn't mind buying a franchise in them and setting it up in a college town. I'm sure the Council would eventually ban them, but I would probably make a nice profit before they did! :d:

I wonder if the same rules apply for knowingly serving someone that is already extremely drunk? Are there going to be liability issues for alcohol poisoning or vehicle deaths related to DWI/DUI?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm no prude...but these are just wrong. Don't people enjoy the drink anymore? Or are we in such a hurry to get drunk that we just want to sanatize it and make it a process. It's a bong without the THC.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I believe, as planners, we have a duty to test these machines.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I would be opposed to this... I do not drink beer to get drunk, I like to drink beer because of the taste. I will not drink beer that sucks even if it will get me drunk.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    My County is poised to ban these machines that deliver alcohol without liquid:
    My friend always is talking about what she calls "air bars". I guess this qualifies, but with a wicked twist.. LOL
    Why are they being banned?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by MalContent
    My friend always is talking about what she calls "air bars". I guess this qualifies, but with a wicked twist.. LOL
    Why are they being banned?

County Executive Spano Condemns New Product Designed to Entice Underage Drinkers

Says “Alcohol without liquid” -- AWOL -- poses health risk; Calls on state officials to act

“AWOL,” a product reportedly set for a New York launch this week, is dangerous and will encourage alcohol abuse and underage drinking, says County Executive Andy Spano, who has called upon state officials to take steps to prevent the sale of this product in New York.

As detailed by Spano, liquor poured into the AWOL (“alcohol without liquid”) machine is mixed with oxygen and vaporized; the vapor can then be inhaled, effectively administering a “quick hit” of alcohol to the user. Because the alcohol is inhaled directly into the bloodstream via the lungs, its effects are felt immediately.

“This product poses a health risk and could increase alcohol abuse, underage drinking and drunk driving,” said Spano, who has written to Gov. George Pataki and Attorney General Eliot Spitzer to find out if the product is illegal – or can be made illegal.

Westchester County has been actively involved in efforts to prevent and curb underage drinking and stop drunk driving.

“While these programs have been successful, I would hate to see us suffer a setback because of new and enticing toys, such as the AWOL machine,” Spano said.

AWOL’s distributor, Spirit Partners, is marketing the product as a hangover-free, calorie-free and carb-free way to enjoy alcohol. They are marketing AWOL to bars and restaurants, as well as to individuals for parties and weddings. According to news reports, the product is to be launched in New York City this Friday.

Spano said the machine is fraught with risks, for several reasons:

While the distributor recommends limiting use time to 20 minutes, appropriate use and monitoring would be the primary responsibility of the purchaser. Use of the machine for more than 20 minutes at one time, or in separate intervals of 20 minutes each, could very quickly lead to blood alcohol levels at the impaired or intoxicated levels. Further, what is to prevent customers from using the AWOL machine in addition to having ‘traditional’ drinks? How accurately will a bar, restaurant, or party host be able to monitor the amount of alcohol consumed by each patron or guest?

Bars and restaurants that cater to the younger (21-30 year olds) drinkers, in particular, may see this as a marketing tool, a new “party machine,” that could increase their business. One could even offer incentives, such as a discounted price on your first vapor shot, to further encourage its use.

It is well known that many underage drinkers still access bars with fake IDs and that binge drinking rates are high in this age group. This machine could become just another binge drinking game for underage drinkers to compete in.

According to AWOL’s own marketing literature, the distribution of this machine is not restricted to “on-premise licensed establishments,” and can be purchased or rented for weddings and other private parties. If left unchecked, this machine could be sold or rented to anyone, without regard to age or intent.

Many who are going to get behind the wheel of a car might not understand the immediate and direct effect of “vaporizing” versus drinking.

“For all of these reasons, I am asking that you investigate this product further and determine whether it violates any state laws,” Spano said in his letter to the state officials. “If it is not governed by current statute, I ask that steps be taken immediately to address this legislatively.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jul 2002
    It would eliminate alot of unecessary urination.
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2004
    It takes 20 minutes to absorb the alcohol from one shot of 80 proof liquor. Unless people in your county currently sip their shots for more than 20 minutes each, this product will cause them less inebriation and will be safer.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Planners, were missing the point! This is an opportunity to get hammahed in a very short period of time. It's called progress. In the past we would have to shotgun a few beers or dig out that archaic funnel before performing a task that required courage. As long as no one is driving, nursing, or operating heavy machinery, this appears to be a paradigm for progress! (without the liquid of course).

Registered
    Mar 2004

But.....

Quote Originally posted by Man With a Plan
    Planners, were missing the point! This is an opportunity to get hammahed in a very short period of time. It's called progress. In the past we would have to shotgun a few beers or dig out that archaic funnel before performing a task that required courage. As long as no one is driving, nursing, or operating heavy machinery, this appears to be a paradigm for progress! (without the liquid of course).
    Come on, anyone can get trashed drinking a 20oz tumbler of grain alcohol :d: or 151 Rum :d: just as fast..... :-C
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2004
    OK you're at a disco and a good looking woman starts a conversation with you. Your mind goes blank ...No problem! Just casually turn your head into the portable alcohol vapor bag in the inside of your jacket and inhale. Now the conversation is flowing

Ordering a shot of 151 would give the impression that you ordered alcohol because you were nervous.

Quote Originally posted by The One
    Come on, anyone can get trashed drinking a 20oz tumbler of grain alcohol :d: or 151 Rum :d: just as fast..... :-C

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Food that requires alcohol
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 23 Jul 2014, 7:51 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Feb 2013, 7:35 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Dec 2008, 6:22 PM
  4. Planning for the sale of alcohol
    Land Use and Zoning