After hearing a female comedian on Sirius this morning, I thought "why do they all sound like that?" There seems to be a special Seinfeldesque accent or inflection, used when most of them perform.
Some others that come to mind include:
- Airline pilots, who all seem to imitate Chuck Yeager
- DJs at strip clubs
- Elementary school teachers
- Ma Bell-era telephone operators, as parodied by Lily Tomlin
- OTR truck drivers - even those who hail from the Northeast have a grizzled Appalachian inflection when they're on the CB
- Mental health professionals and social workers, as often parodied on King of the Hill. Yes, I've met many a shrink with a Sensitive New Age Accent.
What about other occupations or fields where practitioners have a trademark inflection? Do planners have a distinct inflection or accent?