Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Professions with distinct accents/inflections

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Professions with distinct accents/inflections

After hearing a female comedian on Sirius this morning, I thought "why do they all sound like that?" There seems to be a special Seinfeldesque accent or inflection, used when most of them perform.

Some others that come to mind include:
    • Airline pilots, who all seem to imitate Chuck Yeager
    • DJs at strip clubs
    • Elementary school teachers
    • Ma Bell-era telephone operators, as parodied by Lily Tomlin
    • OTR truck drivers - even those who hail from the Northeast have a grizzled Appalachian inflection when they're on the CB
    • Mental health professionals and social workers, as often parodied on King of the Hill. Yes, I've met many a shrink with a Sensitive New Age Accent.

What about other occupations or fields where practitioners have a trademark inflection? Do planners have a distinct inflection or accent?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2003

Evil Villains

Evil villains in movies usually have a German accent (since WWII, anyway). That is beginning to change but was true for a really long time.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Female news anchors. They all sound like Diane Sawyer.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Female news anchors. They all sound like Diane Sawyer.
    LOL, they sure do. I was just talking about that with a friend last week while watching Bay News 9 in Tampa. The lady was doing her best "CNN voice" we called it. It was so fake. Do they think it makes them sounds more "newsy". Do professors teach them that in news casting school? guy anchors are just as bad, i am not picking on the gals,,,rather I am picking on fake voice news casters.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    A bit OT but related

'Simpsons' voice gets his third Emmy

LOS ANGELES -- Ask Dan Castellaneta to describe how he sounds off-screen and this is what he offers: sort of deadpan, shy of nasal, with a standard Midwestern tilt.

Castellaneta's delivery of the grand Homeric syllable of exasperation -- "D'oh!" -- was enough to land it in the dictionary.

Article at:
    http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/171649-5680-047.html
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by H
    LOL, they sure do. I was just talking about that with a friend last week while watching Bay News 9 in Tampa. The lady was doing her best "CNN voice" we called it. It was so fake. Do they think it makes them sounds more "newsy". Do professors teach them that in news casting school? guy anchors are just as bad, i am not picking on the gals,,,rather I am picking on fake voice news casters.
    Off-topic:

If you are looking for a really good read on this topic pick up Tom Wolfe's Hooking Up. The story "Ambush at Fort Bragg" is awesome and biting on this topic. It is fiction, but could easily be a true story. His use of phonetic language is great and funny.

Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

The funny thing is that Diane Sawyer was born in Glasgow, Kentucky and raised in Louisville. You wouldn't know that by listening to her, would you?
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Feb 2004
    And let's not forget 'those two DJ's shouting at each other, one with a lower voice and the other with a higher voice'. Usually they're blathering about a monster truck rally or something much like it.
    (fast higher voice) "B-92's Sunday night madness begins at the Podunk County fairgrounds"
    (slow low voice) "Monster trucks have arrived"
    (fast high voice)"See the nitro burning funny cars drag it out at the strip and at 9 pm see country music legend..."
    (slow low voice) "Charlie Daniels"
    (fast high voice) "Sunday Sunday Sunday"
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Radio DJ's are good for that sort of thing. Hip Hop DJ's all put on the fake street lingo. Rock DJ's come in 2 forms - old school "radio professional" or working class wise guy. Oldies DJ's have the annoying "fun!" inflections. Smooth jazz DJ's sound . . . smooth. College DJ's always mumble incoherently.

Dan, how could you forget the worldly inflections of NPR?

A question: Do local newscasters and DJ's in the deep south all speak with studied midwestern accents? That would be annoying.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    A question: Do local newscasters and DJ's in the deep south all speak with studied midwestern accents? That would be annoying.
    They are all graduates of the Columbia School of Broadcasting. :-P

Q. anybody remember those ads?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Rodeo announcers and auctioneers.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    #1 What's with: Female Hard Rock Station DJ's with the gravelly "party girl" throaty voice.

The best example of a voice like that I can come up is the lead singer for Trick Pony.

That "voice" is so 70's.

#2 When I listen to NPR the voice style of the "reporters" (Propagandists) just pisses me off. It is condecending in almost every aspect of its set up, delivery and intonation. My favorites are these "guest" losers that they get off of the academic, entertainment or political street that give us a 60 second story that serves no purpose other than to reinforce the liberal philosophy and mindset. These "snipets of life" are loser stories that are presented in a wimpy euro-wennie wannabe male voice where "objectively" describes some street scene and implies that life is futile and then he intones that he is worth of membership in the NPR club because he sees the utter futility in it all. PUKE!

I have yet to hear one of the vignettes from anything other than the NPR secular humanist POV. NPR just as fair and balenced as FOX News, just with my tax dollars.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Automobile mechanics and librarians have trademark inflections.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

     
    Registered
    Aug 2004
    Not only do many athletes have the same inflections, but they all say the same words and phrases as well.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Accents
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 30 Oct 2014, 2:43 PM
  2. Replies: 91
    Last post: 14 Jun 2011, 11:16 PM
  3. Family Professions (AIB Dan)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 47
    Last post: 25 Mar 2006, 12:31 PM