Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Internet Connections

Registered
    Oct 2001

Internet Connections

My ancient circa 1995 AST Home Computer has been crashing constantly and having power supply problems, operating system failures, etc-so I splurged at Best Buy this past weekend. :-S

Given my new HP Pavillion (Pentium 4 and all that jazz!) I am thinking about getting high speed internet service at home. I like photo sites like Urban Photo, so....dial up can be a problem. I'd even like to set up my own silly little blog to rant about urbanism and architecture and the like.

Cable Internet is available in my area (Heck, I'll enter the 1970s and sign up for basic television cable finally. No more flickering and snow) What is everyone's experience regarding options for higher speed intenet services? DSL/Cable/Satellite and the like?

(Of course, my ancient computer has been running flawlessly all week now that the replacement is ready to be installed )

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I have SBC Global DSL and it lets all four of us be online at the same time. The price is not bad. The customer service sucks majorly and any glitch in the billing takes an act of god to resolve (or an act of my rabid military husband -- nearly as good as god, I guess). But I am so spoiled, I think it would be torture to go back to dial up. So when the year-long contract was up in June, we renewed -- which was basically up to me, since hubby won't be here too much longer so it is really "for me" (and the kids).

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I too am using really old computer for my home needs. I am on what they market as DSL lite. Faster than dial up, but not as fast as the full DSL expereince or the line at work. I do know one thing, I'll never ever go back to dial up. No need to go much faster for me as my computer can barely keep up with DSL lite.

I primarily chose DSL over cable because the phone company also provides a sattelite dish service for TV and when you bundle telephone, internet, TV and cell you basically got the cell (first one ever) for free if you added up everything.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    We recently got DSL at the house and are loving it. It's actually faster than my connection here at work. Although, that could just be the ancient computer they have me using. Anyway, DSL through the phone company here averages about $12.00 a month cheaper than a cble connection and the speed seems to be about the same - I couldn't imagine it could really be much faster - so the choice between the two was an easy one. Plus, since the same company handles all three, the DSL bill is bundled with our home phone and cell phones, and with online payment it's pretty easy to keep track of where our money's going. Oh, and Comcast sucks a big one.
    Last edited by biscuit; 20 Aug 2004 at 9:55 AM.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    I have Cable modem at the house. It is extremely fast. Iíve heard that distance from the cable server slows it down some though. I live less than a mile from the cable provider, so I donít have any first hand knowledge about that. I play a game online on occasion, and I never have a problem with freezing.
    ďAhh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I've got cable access via Earthlink and haven't had any problems. I was with Roadrunner before and it sucked, I was constantly losing service, having to re-install, etc. This past week we were staying with friends who had AOL dial-up, and it was agonizingly slow, and I finally ended up going on-line late at night so I wouldn't get booted off when the phone rang.

We took the quantum leap from an old dial-up service with internal modem (that typically scaled out at 28kbps ) to wireless cable internet. Not going to look back, that's for sure. Unfortunately, it's a bundled package that has many, many more channles than we would ever watch. Telemundo, por favor?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2004

Dsl

We love our DSL and will never go back to dial up
    I'm not a fan of the cable company :d:
    The phone company here in the south is one of the best in the country and we pay through the nose for it.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Cable at both home and work. Very Nice.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have roadrunner cable service and never have problems.

Registered
    May 2003
    I pay $30 a month for DSL. I have had no problems with it, now my router...

Registered
    May 2003
    Get cable internet but don't sign up for cable TV (they'll push it hard, don't give in).

Then put a coax splitter on the cable to your computer and stick a TV on it. You'll get free basic cable that way.

Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Then put a coax splitter on the cable to your computer and stick a TV on it. You'll get free basic cable that way.
    I'd have to say that this qualifies as theft of services, a low felony. And it's unethical.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2003
    Don't shoot the messenger.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Get cable internet but don't sign up for cable TV (they'll push it hard, don't give in).

&

Don't shoot the messenger.
    Why not? You just encouraged Cyburbians to steal services. It is unethical, even if you are ripping off a "faceless" corporation, wrong is wrong. You seem to have selective ethics, young man. As judgmental as you are about other people's life choices, opinions, dwelling, and lifestyles you sure don't seem to have much in the way of good constructive information to offer this community.

I know we are discouraged from getting personal, but I can't hold this in any longer. Your personality grates on me like the former SNL comedian David Spade's does. I know I am not alone in this opinion. You have given into the easy path of sitting in the cheap seats and throwing out cheap shots at those in life that are doing something. Yours is a hollow and sad life from all indications. You have my pity on a life that will likely be wasted.

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- And I like NPR. :-C

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Why not? You just encouraged Cyburbians to steal services. It is unethical, even if you are ripping off a "faceless" corporation, wrong is wrong. You seem to have selective ethics, young man. As judgmental as you are about other people's life choices, opinions, dwelling, and lifestyles you sure don't seem to have much in the way of good constructive information to offer this community.

I know we are discouraged from getting personal, but I can't hold this in any longer. Your personality grates on me like the former SNL comedian David Spade's does. I know I am not alone in this opinion. You have given into the easy path of sitting in the cheap seats and throwing out cheap shots at those in life that are doing something. Yours is a hollow and sad life from all indications. You have my pity on a life that will likely be wasted.
    [mod hat]

Please, no direct personal attacks......[/mod hat]
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    ^-- And I like NPR. :-C

That goes without saying. You are the target audience for All Things Considered.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Out cable provider requires a box even if your TV is cable ready. It sucks, but it does prevent cable theft.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    We recently got DSL at the house and are loving it. It's actually faster than my connection here at work. Although, that could just be the ancient computer they have me using. Anyway, DSL through the phone company here averages about $12.00 a month cheaper than a cble connection and the speed seems to be about the same - I couldn't imagine it could really be much faster - so the choice between the two was an easy one. Plus, since the same company handles all three, the DSL bill is bundled with our home phone and cell phones, and with online payment it's pretty easy to keep track of where our money's going. Oh, and Comcast sucks a big one.
    Comcast is my local cable company.

Its just that SBC (the primary local phone company-although I'm with ATT) is so annoying with the damn daily telemarketing calls, I am reluctant to give them my business again

Registered
    Oct 2001

\

Well, I get pretty lousy television reception. I do watch a FEW hours a week, so maybe expanded basic. NERD ALERT: I could get the Sci-Fi Channel that way

I'd have to say that this qualifies as theft of services, a low felony. And it's unethical.
    Yep. Not worth the hassle of getting caught. As well as being questionable. Besides, to get the best deal (lowest introudctory price plus free installation and modem etc.) I need to have basic television cable already. It'll save me a couple of hundred bucks through Best Buy. (oops. Just realized I patronized another chain store instead of some hole in the wall computer store with 1999 technology for sale and full retail prices. Oh well, not sure there are any hole in the wall computer stores any more. At least I bought it at a bricks-and-mortar place, so some tiny portion of my purchase comes back to me through sales taxes )

Although, to give jordanb SOME credit, he is the only one here who never breaks the speed limit on the freeway :y

Edit: Wow. Just realized that I missed an El Guapo/jordanb grudge match. It's been months.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Curious Connections
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 22 May 2013, 9:43 AM
  2. Strange Connections in History
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Aug 2012, 12:23 PM
  3. Spiritual Connections with Places
    Friday Afternoon Club