Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Schools that Focus on Transportation Planning

Registered
    Aug 2004

Schools that Focus on Transportation Planning

I am interested in getting a Master's in urban planning with a focus on transportation. My question is simple: Which schools have the best transportation specializations? Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

McGill University

Quote Originally posted by Easy E
    I am interested in getting a Master's in urban planning with a focus on transportation. My question is simple: Which schools have the best transportation specializations? Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    University of Toronto had an okay transp. planning program. McGill is getting good - they just received quite a big grant to develop a transportation lab at the school that will bedone in collaboration with the Engineering department. If you're interested, the best person to contact for more information would be Murtaza Haider at murtaza.haider@mcgill.ca. He's the professor at the School of Urban Planning who teaches the Transportation stuff. He's a very friendly guy and will talk your ear off, but will also give you the straight facts on transportation planning schools across North America. Tell him David sent ya.

It's also a cheap place for Americans. Harvard North, don't you know. For half the price.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Arizona State

The School of Planning and Landscape Architecture at ASU has an interdisciplinary certificate in Transportation Planning. I recieved my Master's there and found it to be a great program.

http://www.asu.edu/caed/SPLA/html/SPLAProgram.htm

Hilary

Registered
    Mar 2004

Europe?

Go to school in Europe for this topic, I think our schools have really screewed this one up.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Go to school in Europe for this topic, I think our schools have really screewed this one up.....
    Don't know about that...

Check out Rutgers (my alma mater), GA Tech, UI Chicago, UCLA-- to give you a geographical sampling.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    For a masters in engineering (transportation studies) check out the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2004

Updated

OK, as I've gone further along in my search, I think I've narrowed some things down, so I'm hoping that someone out there has a good idea on which schools offer what I am looking for. I've done a lot of research myself, but I'm trying to get other opinions. What I am looking for is a master's program that has a heavy emphasis on transportation policy (not engineering) and that is really progressive in terms of looking at alternative modes of transportation (especially walking, biking public transportation). Some schools that have intrigued me or have been suggested by others include UNC, Berkeley, UCLA, Portland St., Oregon (or Oregon St., I can't remember right now), UC-Davis and Florida. Can anyone think of other programs that have that type of focus or have something to add about the schools I mentioned? Thanks for all the replies thus far...

Easy E

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Without knowing much about master programs in urban planning at all, I have to wonder if UBC (University of British Columbia) offers anything worthwhile to check out.

Here's my line of thinking for you to do so: UBC is in Vancouver, which is a city that is very savvy and conscious of being a livable city and I'm sure that mentality would have an impact on the transportation policy in the city. For example, the Chinatown and Eastside downtown area was rescued during the 1960/70s from being bulldozed for a highway. Another example is the continued expansion of the LRT that just completed recently and the water-based transportations connecting downtown Vancouver to both North Vancouver, Granville Island, and the south side of of False Creek.

I think the well known geographer David Ley is at UBC too.

Plus, you can't really complain about schooling in a gorgeous city like Van-city.

EE: I would also check out Florida State. Dr. Greg Thompson is the transportation professor. He went to Cal-Berkeley and his research focus has always been on transportation policy and transit. Great guy, very willing to answer questions.

http://garnet.acns.fsu.edu/~gthompsn...eb/default.htm

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Hey, I think that you and I have very similar interests. Are you graduating this year and going to grad school in the fall? Im hoping to go to Portland State for trans planning, but am also going to apply here at UT as a back up (there is currently no trans faculty, but they have a pretty strong program focusing on TOD's...the CRP school is a part of the Arch school. Urban Studies and Geography are a different school.) I am also kinda interested in UI Chicago and UNC Chapel Hill.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen
    Hey, I think that you and I have very similar interests. Are you graduating this year and going to grad school in the fall? Im hoping to go to Portland State for trans planning, but am also going to apply here at UT as a back up (there is currently no trans faculty, but they have a pretty strong program focusing on TOD's...the CRP school is a part of the Arch school. Urban Studies and Geography are a different school.) I am also kinda interested in UI Chicago and UNC Chapel Hill.
    Yikes, no trans faculty? I applied there for next fall with the intention of doing either real estate development or transportation. Guess if I end up going there, it'll be real estate development!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by roger
    Yikes, no trans faculty? I applied there for next fall with the intention of doing either real estate development or transportation. Guess if I end up going there, it'll be real estate development!
    Well, there is a PhD student who is in her 5th or 6th year that is kinda the acting trans expert there. Im hoping that they get someone soon. It seems that UT's CRP program focuses more on TOD's than transportation itself.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by FueledByRamen
    Well, there is a PhD student who is in her 5th or 6th year that is kinda the acting trans expert there. Im hoping that they get someone soon. It seems that UT's CRP program focuses more on TOD's than transportation itself.
    What are TOD's?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by roger
    What are TOD's?
    Transit Oriented Developments

http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm45.htm

That seems like a pretty good description of them. Im pretty interested in this area as well as traditional trans planning. Im also a bit interested in environmental planning, so it is hard for me to pick just one area to specialize in.
    Adam

Registered
    Feb 2003
    If I remember correctly, since some of my bosses had their speciality in transportation from there, FSU has a focus on transportation. I would ask H though.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Oct 2010, 12:41 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Jan 2008, 11:09 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Mar 2007, 1:43 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Sep 2005, 7:57 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Feb 2001, 11:04 AM