Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Social media advice please

Registered
    Jan 2015

Social media advice please

Hello there,

I m Niall and I'm quite new to this site so I'd appreciate any advice on social media from anyone on the following topic.

Basically, I am a town planner who has been working in online education for a number of years as well as in a consultancy GIS environment. I feel and have always felt that the gap between technical GIS users and non technical planners needs to be bridged. For that reason I am working on an initiative on this subject from the perspective of a geographer.

So basically, I have a big interest in hitting the online world and sharing my knowledge and skills on GIS, town planning 'sustainable development' in an original intuitive way. As a town planner who has worked with IT systems for a number of years I feel that it is essential that the town planning profession becomes more IT literate.

So anyway I was just hoping to get a few thoughts off people on this site and to see if (A) anyone would be interested in such material and (B) if anyone can share their experience on education initiatives and in particular social media etc (twitter, facebook, linkedin etc).

Any tips or pointers would be fantastic!

Thanks again,

Niall
    Last edited by Niall; 14 Jan 2015 at 6:45 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2014
    I would be interested in such material. I would suggest a well produced and edited youtube series where each episode covers a certain topic.

Registered
    Jan 2015
    Arnold, thanks for that suggestion. Indeed youtube is probably the place to go for visuals nowadays. I ll be sure to update Cyburbia when something is up and running.

Any other thoughts/ideas from other users?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Well-produced YouTube videos are probably the way to go, as you can easily integrate them into blogs, social media and message board environments, plus use them to supplement in-person instruction. And YouTube is a super-easy platform to work with. Our library has done an awesome job of augmenting their daily live programs with YouTube videos.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2015

Suburb Repairman

Thanks for the tip Suburb Repairman, I ve been checking out the library and seems like there is alot of stuff available. Yea Youtube videos seems to be the way to go in that case. I ve already set up a twitter account and seems like the best way of getting information out there. Cheers again

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree that a video series would develop an informative blog. This will let you build a following and continue to provide information that may not be significant enough to put into a video, as well as to update people to technology changes. Be sure to promote your blog through sites like LinkedIn. I would not post to groups every time you wrtie something, but when you do a more significant piece.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2015
    Thanks Cardinal, yes I agree its a fine line between being informative and being annoying. I feel that Linkedin can contain alot of drivel blogs. Once again thanks for the recommendations. It's good to hear different opinions which in this case support the idea of video blogs.
    Regards
    Niall

Quote Originally posted by Niall View post
    Hello there,

I m Niall and I'm quite new to this site so I'd appreciate any advice on social media from anyone on the following topic.

Basically, I am a town planner who has been working in online education for a number of years as well as in a consultancy GIS environment. I feel and have always felt that the gap between technical GIS users and non technical planners needs to be bridged. For that reason I am working on an initiative on this subject from the perspective of a geographer.

So basically, I have a big interest in hitting the online world and sharing my knowledge and skills on GIS, town planning 'sustainable development' in an original intuitive way. As a town planner who has worked with IT systems for a number of years I feel that it is essential that the town planning profession becomes more IT literate.

So anyway I was just hoping to get a few thoughts off people on this site and to see if (A) anyone would be interested in such material and (B) if anyone can share their experience on education initiatives and in particular social media etc (twitter, facebook, linkedin etc).

Any tips or pointers would be fantastic!

Thanks again,

Niall

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Jan 2015, 6:33 PM
  2. Future of Facebook and Social Media
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 Jan 2014, 4:01 PM
  3. Privacy and Social Media
    Friday Afternoon Club