Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Private roads and subdivision review

Registered
    Nov 2002

Private roads and subdivision review

Ok, some of you have heard me despair about communities in my county without land use regs. Sometimes even those communities with regs get it terribly wrong.

During my lunch break today, I took a drive to look at a subdivision that was recently approved by one of our communities.

This is the improved access (a private road) to the development. Yes, it is being advertised and sold as year-round access. No HOA to maintain the road, either. It is owned and supposedly to b maintained by the abutting lot owners. And no, local emergency services were not consulted on whether they could get in or out. (There are no AWD emergency services vehicles in our county.)

The planning board voted 4-1 in favor of the project. The opposing member also sits on the county planning board.

Note: the camera was probably tilted up 5-10 degrees when this shot was taken.

Can you top this fiasco?
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    May 1997
    Oh yeah, but I don't have pictures. Before it adopted subdivision regulations, one of my client counties in idaho, got 10 foot easements between the lots for access. The easements weren't even cleared, so once you bought a lot, you had to cut all the trees in the easement down to get there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Cost of roads in a subdivision?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 May 2013, 6:17 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Apr 2008, 1:34 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Aug 2005, 4:36 PM
  4. Private roads and maintenance
    Transportation Planning