Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cleveland's Chinatown, served with an extra helping of GRIT (broadband recommended)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Cleveland's Chinatown, served with an extra helping of GRIT (broadband recommended)

I don't know too much about the history of Chinatown in Cleveland, but Ic an say it's not much compared to the Chinatowns of cities like Chicago, Toronto, Philadelphia or even Denver. Cleveland's Chinatown is essentially a poor neighborhood just east of downtown, one of those gritty turn-of-the-last-century neighborhoods where industry, retail uses and residences all intertwine, that just happens to havea much larger-than-average Asian-American population.

If you've ever driven through Cleveland, Chinatown is to the southeast of Dead Man's Curve on I-90.

Here's Chinatown.

That all you can see. No substitute. No more picture! You go home now!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Thanks for the pics. Thats the most un-Chinatown of the Chinatowns I've seen.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    Thanks for the pics. Thats the most un-Chinatown of the Chinatowns I've seen.
    Exactly. It looks like the un-gentrified parts of Chicago's Near West Side, or parts of Detroit, except with a Chinese presence.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 17 Oct 2010, 4:12 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Jan 2008, 7:41 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 13 Nov 2006, 4:04 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 22 Apr 2006, 1:17 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Apr 2005, 10:14 PM