Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AIB - Bluegrass Music - Cultural Music

Registered
    Sep 2001

AIB - Bluegrass Music - Cultural Music

Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I don't envy or even "admire" per se mountain culture-but I have a lot of respect for it. I also like Andean traditional music
    This made me think of the other "non-tradional" music's I like. For me it is klezmer. If anyone is looking for good music that is fun check out

www.kamea.com

www.klezmatics.com

www.klezperanto.com

All have downloadable songs and are interesting people.

So any other suggestions for real "alternative" music?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Louisiana has a diverse mixture of cultural music:
    • Dixie Jazz
    • Brass Bands
    • Traditional and Modern Jazz
    • UNIQUE Rap Music - Home of the "Bounce" sound and the CASH MONEY MILLIONAIRES!!!! BLING BLING
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Sure. I might recommend some recordings of some Tibetan Bhuddist monks chanting (COOL BASS), but I find this jump is usually too much of a stretch for most western ears (patience Grasshopper, you must study long before hearing the reverberating ocatave tones...). Most traditional African music is pretty accessable to western ears. My personal fave, though is the world famous Kumran (sp?) singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - "Mustt mustt massive attack remix" ROCKS! (I think he was from Pakistan maybe someone can Google it). I also give high marks to Peter Gabriel's Real World Music label and just about any of their recordings.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Where do you get your music from?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 20 Aug 2011, 10:43 AM
  2. Bluegrass music
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 20 Mar 2011, 1:06 PM
  3. Music?
    Perry's Cantina (archive)