Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Regional, cultural and social changes influencing development standards.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Regional, cultural and social changes influencing development standards.

Many urban areas are experiencing a sudden influx of Hispanic immigrants that come from a very different social understanding of sociological norms. Have any communities done anything to adjust their development or code standards for social demographic changes? More so, why do regional standards differ so greatly when the social and cultural demographic may remain the same?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I don't have any first hand knowledge of this, but I have talked to planners in what we call, "The Valley", which is the Rio Grande area of far south and far west Texas. They've told me about having difference rules regarding the relationship commercial and residential property is heavily hispanic and economically disadvantaged areas. Basically, businesses need to be integrated into residential areas because those residents don't have the ability to get around by cars a conveniently as most americans, and in fact children are often sent out to do the shopping for the household alone. Also, additions to residential structures are often permitted where they wouldn't be otherwise because families need to share housing.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Saw an interesting session on this item at the recent CIP conference.

The example they used is the an application for funeral home in a dominantly Asian neighbourhood. It did not go over well due to cultural standards and beliefs (place of death near where you lives = bad idea).

They also spoke of issues related to the establishment of places of worship and their relationship with the community

On the second question, just think Shelbyville vs Springfield. Whether places look similar to the passerby as another place there are always differences (shelbyville sucks )
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, richer colors are certainly permeating California-sometimes to the displeasure of our more curmudgeonly old-timers "You are lettin' this city look like Mexico!"

We had a minor tiff in the unincorporated county with a Sikh temple wanting to locate in a strict Agricultural zone. Lots of loud arguments (they are still there)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    One of my previous employers started altering how they designed the parks in the regions that had large numbers of immigrants. For example, they started creating walking squares in the area where there was a large Bolivian population. They didn't change their policies only the way they created the parks.

Registered
    May 2003
    We see a lot of separate activities, with Hispanic activities attended by Hispanics and Anglo activities attended by Anglos. Has anyone had experience in developing cross-cultural activities so you have one city with everyone involved.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 May 2010, 12:23 PM
  2. Community development / social planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Feb 2010, 10:31 PM
  3. Replies: 57
    Last post: 10 Oct 2008, 3:28 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 May 2007, 8:08 AM