Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What's the big deal about ...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

What's the big deal about ...

... Golden Tee Golf? Every time I see a Golden Tee machine in a bar, there is a long queue of young, corporate-attired men, waiting to play. Supposedly, there are national Golden Tee competitions.

... countertop game machines in bars? It seems like the female equivalent of Golden Tee; every time I've seen a game machine on top of a bar counter, it's ALWAYS occupied by a posessed-looking woman feeding it with $5 bills every few minutes.

... Von Dutch caps? Huh?

... lower back tattoos on women? How did this fashion trend emerge out of thin air? Why do so many have the word "JUICY" in elaborate script on them?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    ... lower back tattoos on women?
    Got to have something to read while you're back there :-P .

... How did this fashion trend emerge out of thin air? Why do so many have the word "JUICY" in elaborate script on them?
    I've seen girls wearing them who don't look to juicy. Then there is the infamous "Daddy's Girl" one
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Sep 2001
    ... Von Dutch caps? Huh?
    Only piece of clothing they can afford from that company?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2000
    ... lower back tattoos on women? How did this fashion trend emerge out of thin air?
    MAN, I absolutely drool. :-P But what's better is when it's accentuated with the horizontal band of a g-string and there a dumbell through the naval. I can't tell you what that does to me, because the MODS would be on me quicker that cat guts down a slide.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    ... Golden Tee Golf? Every time I see a Golden Tee machine in a bar, there is a long queue of young, corporate-attired men, waiting to play. Supposedly, there are national Golden Tee competitions.
    It's fun, but I think most guys play it because they are socially inept.

... countertop game machines in bars? It seems like the female equivalent of Golden Tee; every time I've seen a game machine on top of a bar counter, it's ALWAYS occupied by a posessed-looking woman feeding it with $5 bills every few minutes.
    No idea, that's just sad- if you're at a bar you should be social.

... Von Dutch caps? Huh?
    Klassy, IMO. The trend was started by 20-somethings with too much money that want to dress like they have no money. Like Britney Spears walking around barefoot and looking like she's never brushed her hair.. it's the "style".

... lower back tattoos on women? How did this fashion trend emerge out of thin air? Why do so many have the word "JUICY" in elaborate script on them?
    Well, I got mine about 6 years ago and I'm planning on getting something added to it if I can decide what it is I want. Perhaps get it covered up with a celtic tree of life or something.. but then it'll be about 8 inches across. "Juicy"? That's a clothing line and they have "juicy" written on the back side of pants and shorts but I hope no one ever got a tattoo with that.. that'll be a regretable one. And.. for the record.. lower back tattoos don't hurt and those that say they do are wimps.. but that's just my opinion again.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    Well, I got mine about 6 years ago and I'm planning on getting something added to it if I can decide what it is I want. Perhaps get it covered up with a celtic tree of life or something.. but then it'll be about 8 inches across. "Juicy"? That's a clothing line and they have "juicy" written on the back side of pants and shorts but I hope no one ever got a tattoo with that.. that'll be a regretable one. And.. for the record.. lower back tattoos don't hurt and those that say they do are wimps.. but that's just my opinion again.
    Tu vas chica.

Its just like darts and pool, just another excuse to talk trash with your friends while drinking. You can roll through a lot of money playing that game. It is very addictive and it is a lot of fun (way better than pool IMHO).
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think a cruel tattoo would be a ruler tattoo back there...talk about killing some guy's self-esteem...damn funny though.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    I think a cruel tattoo would be a ruler tattoo back there...talk about killing some guy's self-esteem...
    Not if the chick with the tattoo was Canadian the guy didn't know metric.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Not if the chick with the tattoo was Canadian the guy didn't know metric.

LMAO..... yeah ten centimeters baby!!!
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Being a young guy (and planner), I have seen many of my friends follow these very trends.
    GOLDEN TEE: It seems fun, but as was stated before, there is a long line to play it. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I will play darts, or bubble hockey (if you find a place that has it) over Golden Tee anyday.

VON DUTCH: I have seen these around and Habanero was right, it is people spending a lot of money to look like they have no money. At my former college, these "truckers" hats were all the rage, and I thought they looked trashy. (Maybe I should resurrect the Snobbery Thread).

TATTOOS: Across the back, I just don't like tattoos on anyone and I think that across the lower back has been doen too many times, but more power to you girls. Tattoos across the backcould be a testament to the times in which I went to college, forever people will know how old you are. (Sort of like women named Rhiannon. HA! How many 22 year olds would know about that! I feel older!)
    Happy Friday Cyburbia,
    ZMan
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The one and only pub I hang out at on a somewhat regular basis doesn't have any of the stuff you are talking about. I feel so out of touch...

Oh wait, I know what you are talking about with the tats. At one point I wanted to get a tat on my back, but I actually wanted it on my should not my lower back. Never got around to it though.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    My tat is on my back hip. Our reproductive endocrinolgist thought it was a rub on to show rob where to do my injections.

As for insane trends - its like when Carrie on SATC wore big flowers on their blouses, then everyone was doing it. Or the nameplate necklaces and every other girl at the mall looked like a demented jersey girl. lemmings.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    I don't understand the obsession with Golden Tee either, but can attest to its tremendous popularity. I have, however, spent some bucks on the counter games--photo hunt and the other quiz games. Personally, I'd rather put money on the juke box/touch tunes.

The trucker hats are so dumb (and very passe). Von Dutch hasn't been a trendy company for a long time because, well, once you can buy something at a mall kiosk it's done, in my opinion.

As far as the chicks with "Juicy" tats, hmm...could be a reflection of the clothing company, "Juicy Couture", like Habanero suggested. Who knows--it should be replaced with "Tacky." Not because of the location, although the lower back is the gratuitous "girl tatoo spot." Admittedly, when I thought about getting my celtic symbol last summer that's where I was going to have it. But I never went through with that. Still have my navel ring from freshman year of college!

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I got one. How did platinum go from obscure heavy metal near the bottom (if not at the bottom, chemistry was so long ago) of the periodic chart to cultural icon. With my wedding ring, I'm starting the tungsten craze.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 23 Feb 2010, 3:03 PM
  2. What's the deal with ethanol?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 67
    Last post: 03 Mar 2008, 5:22 PM
  3. Help! Anyone deal with Priceline