Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Small town planning

Registered
    Mar 2003

Small town planning

Well work news is...
    I am temporarily working as City Clerk.
    Small town clerking is very interesting because you get to be in the middle of everything. Including Planning.

The other issue is that "It has been done this way.." Comes into play all the time.

So I have an individual come in for a rezoning and I am told....

The Planning board won't go for that application. So you need to call them and have a meeting so that they can tell him they won't do that.
    Then if they decide that it is ok with them then we can do notifications and let the neighbors know.
    My response was. No, our regulations already tell him he can't do that without rezoning and they can choose to rezone or not but I am not holding three different meetings for one application. If they decide that I have not provided them enough information then they can table it and come back in a month. If anyone has questions about that then I will direct them to the statues.

I think it is going to be really fun wading through all the...But we have done it this ways!
    Last edited by Queen B; 20 Jul 2004 at 4:10 PM.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jul 1998
    First, welcome to clerkdom! It is most interesting. I have a mobile?manufactured home issue going now. Our ordinance sucks so bad the city attorney and I think we cannot enforce most of it. A guy moved in a new home and didn't do it quite right, I got him to agree to fix the biggest issue and folks are pushing for more. The attorney and I are sure that if it goes to court we may lose all of it. The complainers cannot be convinced of this though. We will see what happens.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Isn't small town planning fun? My hometown is so small that the mayor (who has run unopposed for at least the last 10 years) works in the liquor store and hardware store, the local snowplow guy is the loudest member of the board of trustees and we have had only a handful of applicants in past five years that at least half the board does not know personally. I am just waiting to end up without a quorum becase more than two members of the board have to recuse themselves!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    OMG I fell off my chair when I read the start of your post! The last municipal job I had, the Clerk's (not-to-her-face) knickname was "Queen Bee" because she buzzed around having her hands in everything !!!

WAY to funny for me!

Good luck wit' da job.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    I have a mobile?manufactured home issue going now.
    Yeah, me too. Get this... a disabled guy and his terminally ill wife dragged a 1973 model mobile home from Illinois to my small town. He brought it in on Saturday and then asked for a permit on Monday. The site is a nonconforming MHP that has been moving homes out to make way for redevelopment. It's in the floodplain to boot.

Anyway, I played Mister Cold Hearted Bastard and told him that since the structure doesn't meet the Federal Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act of 1976, he would have to remove it from the City limits. My advice was to move it 10 miles west to the community where Queen B is Clerk. As if I weren't already on Queen B's guano list.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Hey Budgie we won't take none of your stinkin' mobile homes either, they won't get a BP for me. But I hear they will be able to do anyhting they want in the county just to my west since they won't have anyone that knows anything over there!!!

They can put it out there with that other mobile home out on 40...

And by the way Budgie, my guano list is fairly short lived. Mostly I was very concerned and I appreciated the visit the ther day, thanks.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    But I hear they will be able to do anyhting they want in the county just to my west since they won't have anyone that knows anything over there!!!
    Yeah, in fact if I'm not mistaken there's a landlocked parcel owned by Randy Sterrett about a mile west of you that would do nicely. I bet Mr. Riordan will finance it. Oh, by the way. I hope you're feeling better.

Your Sincerely,

MUD

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Going from consulting to small town planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Mar 2011, 3:10 PM
  2. The small town planning thread
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 55
    Last post: 08 Jul 2009, 2:58 PM
  3. Small town with no planning staff
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 28 Sep 2005, 9:05 PM
  4. Is small town planning bad for career?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 29 Sep 2004, 12:36 PM
  5. Small town planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Nov 1997, 3:33 PM