Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Where did the hats go?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Where did the hats go?

I was just watching the movie “Sea Biscuit” and I noticed yet another major difference between then and now… Where did all the hats go? It was common to see men wearing a non baseball style hat, and women wearing some type of fanciful hat.

Why don’t people wear hats like that today? I know a lot of guys will toss on a cap that sports their favorite sports team or the name of their college (like I do) but why does it have to be so limited?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2003
    IIRC, hats went out of style when JFK, who always went hat-less, became president.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Michaelskis.....

Even though you were a "Upper Peninsula Banana Belt" resident (Esky), you did attend Northern Michigan and endure some time along a nearly-frozen ice-flow-filled Lake Superior. Did you wear a stocking cap or something, walking between buildings? How about one (1) of those goofy hunting caps.....yeah, real goofy until the wind chill drops to fifty (50) below.....then, an ear saver.

Seriously......Jordan's probably on to something with his response. I remember my dad wearing a hat all through the 1950's and then he stopped wearing a hat in the 1960's.

He did resume hat wearing when he was very old and living alone. He had lost most of his hair by then and was always cold.....so it probably warmed him up.

Making A Fedora Case Of it Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Where did all the hats go? It was common to see men wearing a non baseball style hat, and women wearing some type of fanciful hat.
    It wasn't just the hats. Ever see old film footage of the crowd at baseball games in the 1950s? It could be 95 degrees out, but everybody in the crowd wore a shirt, tie and wool suit. Apparently, women weren't allowed into the stadium either. Good old days my a$$.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I remember my grandfather almost always wearing a hat whenever he left the house. This must have been through the mid- to late-1970s...he died in 1981. I assume that hats went out of style as people started to dress more casually. I never really thought about it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I still wear a hat...check pictures from Florida lae-fest.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    And I'm happy to report that sisterceleste's hat, which she left with me, survived Charley. Palm-reading at lae-fests wouldn't be the same without it!

As for hats in general, I've got lots of old family photos, and hats weren't worn much around here, even in the early '60's. All the women wore dresses everywhere, and white gloves to parties and such, but I don't see any hats. Or on the men, past the '50's. Maybe it's the heat and humidity here.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The JFK theory seems to be the most widespread. I think he had a lot to do with it but the decline of the hat was also helped along by the introduction of hair products that kept hair from becoming a wild mess without a hat to hold it in place. Also the long hair hippie environment of the 60s would not have been a place for an old guard fashion like hats. All three of these together are probably what pushed hats into near extinction.

But have no fear, according to the movie Blade Runner, hats are back in fashion in 2019.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Hats were there to cover bad hair. People didn't have the ability to do anything with their hair so they covered it. I believe that women were allowed to continue to keep thier hats on inside because their hair would have looked horrible if they took off their hat.

Men were expected to take their hats off because their hair should have been worn short and it shouldn't have mattered.

That is just my theory.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Michaelskis.....

Even though you were a "Upper Peninsula Banana Belt" resident (Esky), you did attend Northern Michigan and endure some time along a nearly-frozen ice-flow-filled Lake Superior. Did you wear a stocking cap or something, walking between buildings? How about one (1) of those goofy hunting caps.....yeah, real goofy until the wind chill drops to fifty (50) below.....then, an ear saver.
    When it can hit -40 in mid January, everyone wears a hat. It is more than just an ear saver. At that temp, you can have seveal health problems. I have even warn hats when I moved here comming the short distance from my car to my desk. I know I can stay warm so I do something about it!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I wear hats.... as my hair has a tendancy to blow right over my eyes...like an English Sheepdog as soon as I go out side.

I prefer bucket style on the boat, but mine has the lovely IYC burgee on it.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I plan on bring back the hat. Just have to find the right one to fit my head...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    I plan on bring back the hat. Just have to find the right one to fit my head...
    Hope you have better luck than me. I have a melon the size of a small beach ball so there is no such thing as a hat that I look good in. I for one hope they don't come back into style. :-S

I love hats and have way, way too many. Almost all of them are baseball bats, but I do have some oddball hats including a Chinese Republic Red Army cap that a previous Mayor brought back for me from his trip to our "sorta sister city" (it's a long story). I also have an authentic "boater" I bought from a hat shop in Scranton, PA for a friend's wedding that is size 6-3/4, but I wear a size 6-7/8. Now that I've lost some hair, it fits better (but that was one long wedding.... )

Around here, a ski cap a/k/a as a beanie, is referred to as a *toboggan*. First time I heard somebody ask if they needed to wear tobaggan I had the funniest image in my head. Silly Hoosiers.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 30 Aug 2004 at 2:34 PM.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2003
    I have wonderful hair (and great hair genes, my mom's dad died with a full head of hair at 74), so I don't want them to come back either.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have quite a few hats that I sport from time to time. Depends on the occasion I guess. I remember hats coming back in High School for dances and stuff... lots of fedoras during that time thanks to Raiders of the Lost Ark and Duran Duran videos.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I wear a hat all the time. In cool weather I usually wear a felt fedora and in the warm days I wear a straw Stetson. When I lived down South I wore a Panama hat. I like hats for the sun protection. I keep a spare baseball cap in the truck of my car, in case I am in need of a hat.

I recall years back when I had just left Meyer the Hatter in downtown New Orleans with a brand-new Panama hat. I walked past a sporty black guy and he said, "Nice broom." I thought that was pretty cool.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I have an awesome Panama straw hat that I got in Key West -- great for south FL weather.
    Also like visors for the beach and baseball caps for "bad hair" moments.
    When I lived in Atlanta, you would see all of the ladies wearing their "church hats" on Sundays at the various restaurants. Some were making stronger "statements" than others!
    Also, what happened to ladies' gloves?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I can think of two groups that I see regularily that hats are a requirement for any properly dressed person. Their hats are part of what makes them distinguishable.

Hassidic Jews with their fedoras and Mennonites with their straw hats. The women also pretty much always have their heads/hair covered.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    funny...this was tonite's syndicated Seinfeld episode...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anybody remember Tom Landry (Dallas Cowboys) or Bear Bryant (Bama) and their hats: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/shanoff/021213.html
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I do like hats. I just wish men would remove their hats when they go inside. It is just a polite thing that has gone by the wayside.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I hate to admit this, but during the early 90's, I went through a hat wearing phase. A la Blossom. sigh.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The (proper) wearing of hats
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 25 Oct 2010, 1:27 AM
  2. Hats
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 09 Feb 2010, 1:40 PM
  3. Small town: many hats vs. big org,: focused work
    Career Development and Advice