Greetings from the coast of the Arctic Ocean where signs of fall and winter abound, even though we are having one last gasp of summer. The Arctic tundra is turning all kinds of colors and this year we have tons of wild mushrooms of all colors.
The ducks and geese and gathering and the young ones are learning to fly for the big migration south. Our annual freight and fuel barges have arrived from Seattle, deposited their stores, and departed. School is back in session and since our first sunset in almost three months, we've lost over 6 hours of daylight in less than 3 weeks.
I go out daily for long walks on the beach and tundra with faithful Greenland Husky Nuna, and we have a great time. My copy of Thoreau's "Walden" is never far away.
I read it about this time every year and appreciate Thoreau's descriptions of the changing plants and animals around that sparse cabin he lived in for over two years in the mid-1800s. And this is 150th anniversary of the publication of the book.

My copy also has Thoreau's essay on "Civil Disobedience.'" It is especially warming in these times, with the Patriot Act and all kinds of censure on almost anyone who dares to speak out.
I'd heartily recommend Thoreau for any of you gracious planners who frequent Perry's corner. Enjoy your late summer and fall. As planners, we know only too well that winter is coming.
Earl and Nuna