Urban planning community

Poll results: What house would you choose?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • House #1 (The extreme makover 1950s house)

6 13.33%
  • House #2 (The large 1920s house)

39 86.67%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan's house hunting adventures

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Dan's house hunting adventures

I'm turning this thread into a poll, because otherwise I may be flipping a coin.

Both of these hoses have the same asking price, and they're a block from each other. They're in the City of South Euclid, a mature, middle-income, stable racially integrated but primarily Jewish and Italian East Side suburb of Cleveland. (South Euclid is east of Cleveland Heights; it's not to be confused with the City of Euclid, of Ambler v Euclid fame.) A commute to work from either house would be about 35 minutes. Both houses have a new plysical plant; new furnaces, new central air, new roofs, new water heaters, Both have dry unfinished basements. Both houses also have open floor plans, and both have floorplans and room sizes that make them ideal for entertaining.

House #1 - 3 bedroom, 2 bath, living room, family/media room, kitchen with very large dining area added to the back. Two bedrooms and a bath are on the first floor, so it's functionally a ranch. It's about 1700 square feet, built in the 1950s. Looks are deceptive; there were extensive additions in recent years, and the interior was remodeled top to bottom. The house is definitely in move-in condition. The interior is GORGEOUS and entirely high-end, as if was one of the subjects of an extreme home makeover show; Corian countertops and high-end appliances in the new kitchen, new molding, new windows, new everything. The lot ... 50' wide, and about 500' deep. The backyard has a deck and concrete patio, with 50' or so of open space between the house and a scarp down to mature woods. The lot terminates at a wide flood-controlled creek with year-round flow. There are parts of the lot where you can look around, and literally not see any sign of civilization; something unexpected for an inner ring suburb.

Shortcomings:
    * Unfenced yard; would cost a lot to fence off an area for the dogs.
    * Tiny bathrooms.
    * No master bathroom.
    * Affordable, but one of the most expensive house on the street; there's inly one comparable for the block.

House #23 - 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, living room, family room, kitchen (not eat-in), formal dining room, den off the living room. Two bedrooms are on the second floor, and the third bedroom is on the THIRD floor. (How many three story houses do you come across anymore?) About 2,000 square feet; built in the 1920s. The den would make a great computer lab, so I don't feel isolated from any other activity in the house if I'm online. Like the last house, the bathrooms and kitchen were updated; not high-end, but still quite nice. The bathrooms are HUGE. The lot is about a quarter acre, and the backyard is fenced, with a deck and stone patio. There is a 2 car detached garage. Except for a kid's bedroom, the house is in move-in condition. Most houses on the street are about the same size and price range.

Shortcomings:
    * Higher maintenance; painted exterior.
    * Higher heating and cooling costs.
    * Long driveway = snowblower.
    * Small second bedroom, third bedroom with low cieling on third floor

I could be happy in either one. Which one would you choose?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Except for a kid's bedroom, the house is in move-in condition.
    Is there something you haven't told us, Dan?

Did you check whether the neighbours like dogs?

I like the look of the 2nd one. And large bathrooms are good.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The first is more to my liking (and how expensive is fencing up there? I had my back yard fenced cheap!). But I have to vote for #2, mainly because you don't want the most expensive place on the street. And I've lived with a teeny bathroom for 7 years, and it's no fun.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I voted #2 but it is really kind of a toss-up.

Personally, if I were house hunting and these were my 2 choices, my concerns would be:
    Do you really want to clean 2000 sq.ft and an extra bathroom? I like homes that are between 1200 and 1800 sq. ft. I really don't like big houses. I like having a Life, not a long list of maintenance responsibilities.

How long do you think you will be there? If it is fairly short-term, #2 sounds like a better financial investment and more potential to sell at a profit in just a few years.

The fact that #2 is older would concern me from the perspective of mold, mildew, etc. I would kind of check how well I breathed in each house -- especially areas I expected to spend a lot of time in, like the master bedroom and wherever you expect to put the computer.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Why do you need 3 bedrooms? is there something you aren't telling us Dan :-P

Gee I don't know which would be your style but I'll go for #1

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Is there something you haven't told us, Dan?
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    is there something you aren't telling us Dan
    Let me guess -
    Each Dog has their own bedroom.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Let me guess -
    Each Dog has their own bedroom.
    Yes, well, you wouldn't want scenes in Dan's house like we had in that thread this week about the real estate listing. :-P

Seriously: I think he has said before that he buys 3 bedroom houses for the resale value: they sell better.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I love 1920's houses... and the yard looks like it is to die for. The landscaping makes it so appealing, that it makes up the difference of all the nice stuff on the inside of the ranch. I think I have more of a knack for redecorating than I do for re-landscaping, so I went for #2. I also love the look of #2 from the street... great curb appeal.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I love 1920's houses... and the yard looks like it is to die for. The landscaping makes it so appealing, that it makes up the difference of all the nice stuff on the inside of the ranch. I think I have more of a knack for redecorating than I do for re-landscaping, so I went for #2. I also love the look of #2 from the street... great curb appeal.
    I agree with nerudte....I like the curb appeal of #2.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I prefer 2. I would miss an eat-in kitchen. If you buy it, make sure that you sit somewhere while you eat - don't eat standing at the counter or sink. I hate when food falls off my fork into the sink.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    House #2 just has more character!!!!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    All else being equal, the one closer to the neighbourhood bakery and post office.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It is a tough choice, but I lean to the second one. The appeal of a big yard with the first house is hard to pass on. The yard could be more attractively landscaped, and the house could be altered to give it a great look (maybe Tudor?). Still, the second has more character, and it is always better to have a house with a value in line with its neighbors. You don't want what is by far the most expensive thing in the neighborhood.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2003
    Get the second house.

Take on some boarders to fill up the empty rooms, and hope the City doesn't find out.

Btw: there are lots of three-story homes in this town.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    #2....the tree does it for me.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Well they say to never buy the nicest house on the street... but in any event... I like house #2 better. Yard #2 is very nice. I assume vinyl siding on #1?... which I am very biased against.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Definitely number 2 - much more character.

You think you need a snowblower to do that drive?

I'm Biased ...

because I've never lived in a house built after the War. Go for House # 2. Plus, that tree is fabulous.
    Je suis Charlie

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Older is better.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    May 2002
    Put me firmly in the #2 camp as well. I know the first one has a much larger rear yard, but if the backyard of #2 is enough for the dogs to get their exercise, it would be a no brainer for me.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I voted no 1, look at that roof angle on no 2, pricey to get a reroof with that pitch.(but it's already been done eh?) No1 doesn't have the same curb appeal but with that large lot you have room to expand and you can always give the facade a face lift.

Good Luck!

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- Yeah but the roof will last a lot longer with that pitch.

Is that wooden siding?

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I would pick #2. I grew up in a house in Omaha just like House #1 with 5 other people. I would like the biggest house I can get.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Dan... YOUR A PLANNER! The 1950's ranchers are a symbol of urban sprawl! Even if they have been modified.

The 1920's has character to it, and I am sure that you will just make things better.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    #2...the garage is in the back.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 79
    Last post: 21 May 2009, 5:28 PM
  2. House Hunting Based on Design/Layout
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 06 Apr 2009, 9:41 PM
  3. House Hunting Horrors
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8