Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, Now I'm scared s***less; Hurricane Frances

Registered
    Sep 1999

OK, Now I'm scared s***less; Hurricane Frances

The latest predictions for H. Frances show landfall slightly SE of us, with a path directly over us. I have a 20 ft. x 30 ft tarp on my roof which is all that remains between a large part of my home and the elements, thank you Charley. The next room to go will be the family room, with walls and ceiling in knotty pine. Oh, how I love that room! Time to move again. I think I will pack and take along the china and crystal this time. Somebody name me a state where there are no natural disasters!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Yikes!!! At least you are now practiced in disaster evacuation... small consolation, I know.

I can't claim NZ is natural disaster free - we had a small earthquake last night.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Somebody name me a state where there are no natural disasters!
    There are no natural disasters here ZG, but I take it you don't like snow

Good luck to you
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Colorado is nice. So is New Mexico, and we don't have any Cyburbians from there right now. Habanero is building a nice new house in Arizona, and maybe needs a neighbor?

I'll hope for some extraordinary good luck that the hurricane will shift and miss you this time.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    All I can really say is: (((((((((HUGS))))))))))

Registered
    Nov 2002
    My only advise would be to batten down the hatches and find something sturdy to hold onto.

Best of luck to you as you're forced to ride through yet another one of mother nature's hissy fits. A few extra good wishes and prayers your way.
    Last edited by biscuit; 31 Aug 2004 at 1:30 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, the Bay Area is overdue for another "big one." My sister lives surrounded by "open space" on a ridgeline in the (August) tinder-dry Oakland Hills. I noticed that Orinda, located west of my sister, had an "Extreme" Fire Danger sign out this weekend
    \
    BEST LUCK!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    .... Somebody name me a state where there are no natural disasters!
    None. You and family take care and stay in touch. Let's hope the beotich turns to the northeast because I sure don't want her crossing the peni$ of the nation, entering the Gulf, and heading my way.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Let's hope the beotich turns to the northeast
    Make that WAY WAY WAY to the northeast...we in coastal SC just got whalloped by Gaston (though in no means to the degree Florida got Charley)

Let's see...my area has been impacted by 3 named tropical systems in two weeks -- and they've only named 8 so far this season (I think), so I'm not holding out hope that we'll miss this one (although it seems like ZG (and the other Floridians) and I should have the law of averages on our side by now... )

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I am seriously considering buying a generator this time. We are going to Lowes tomorrow to get the stuff we need. I just restocked the frig with about $150 worth of groceries lost to Charley. This is even a more powerful storm coming our way. Yipes!!!!!!! There goes our long weekend planned for the beach. This is getting old fast.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    All I can say is "wow". I can't believe how strong all you Floridians are through all of this. I swear I've thought a few times in the past few months that I was a hair's width away from bonkers. But to go through the stress of disasters over and over... I couldn't do it. So good luck to you guys... my thoughts are with you! ZG and others that have insurance claims going, a friend of mine sent this article with advice on how to handle insurance claims. I'm embarassed to say that I've been so busy that I haven't read it myself yet to see if it's any good. I generally like the articles from Motley Fool though, so it probably is worth a look.

I'm crossing my fingers for you guys (and for my many, many, many relatives in Florida)!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    There are no natural disasters here ZG, but I take it you don't like snow

Good luck to you
    Get yer shovel...that's about the worst of it here...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Best of luck to you and yours.
    As for me I will stay here in KS with her tornado's
    There is none of that anxiety and knowing it is coming your way for days.. You either get it or not. Mostly not.

Hang on to what you have we are prayin for you!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    ZG and SC, I have a nice 5 bedroom house that you guys can come and visit while Frances has her way with Central Florida. And you can bring the beasts. I will be fun. You can bring all of your food since I don't have any at the house right now. We can rent some movies and have an unofficial lae-fest/slumber party.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Yeah...no natural disasters in upstate NY...just the gnawing effect of freeze thaw on the roads....costing millions and millions in annual road repairs. Ice storms can be pretty bad though...
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Good luck!!!

I hope this one fizzles out in the Gulf before it gets to you guys!!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    All right, the latest prediction according to NOAA shows the storm hitting NE Florida (aka Jacksonville) on Sunday morning. My office is starting to feel the anxiousness of getting activated by the EOC. Should be a wild ride.

Someone should tell Frances that the Yucatan is lovely this time of year.
    Seriously, stay safe everybody and hope for the best.

I just looked at the latest readings and the storm has an estimated central pressure of 950 millibars. Floyd and Andrew had the lowest ever recorded at 921 and 922mb. Folks, this is a serious storm. Be careful. Our thoughts are with you.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Someone should tell Frances that the Yucatan is lovely this time of year.
    Seriously, stay safe everybody and hope for the best.

I just looked at the latest readings and the storm has an estimated central pressure of 950 millibars. Floyd and Andrew had the lowest ever recorded at 921 and 922mb. Folks, this is a serious storm. Be careful. Our thoughts are with you.
    Don't forget of Hurricane Gilbert which recorded a 888mb low pressure in 1988
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    All right, the latest prediction according to NOAA shows the storm hitting NE Florida (aka Jacksonville) on Sunday morning. My office is starting to feel the anxiousness of getting activated by the EOC. Should be a wild ride.
    Aren't you glad you moved back to Florida?
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste
    Aren't you glad you moved back to Florida?
    At least I have had training on hurricane disasters, I know nothing about snow except that is cold, wet, and I don't want to drive in it.

Frances is a beauty of a storm and there is always that possibilty of hitting the Carolinas.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The folks in Punta Gorda know now that you can't rely on the thin line in the middle of the predicted path. Much of the FL peninsula is still in the potential path, as well as part of GA now. It could make landfall anywhere in a several hundred mile range.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You'll be in my thoughts this week, ZG. Please let us know if there is any possible way we can help?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    You'll be in my thoughts this week, ZG. Please let us know if there is any possible way we can help?
    I think we need to start worrying about Trail Nazi and Baby Mac, too!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I think we need to start worrying about Trail Nazi and Baby Mac, too!
    Thanks. Just think, Mac has already experienced snow storms and a minor earthquake in VA. Now he will get a hurricane. Wow, that is a lot for a 14 month old.

(He has also visited 10 states, including D.C.)

I am just wondering if I will be activated for the EOC since I have had all the training.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Scared of change!
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 04 Jul 2011, 6:29 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 11 Nov 2009, 2:43 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 2:24 AM
  4. Are you scared to fly?