Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calling all 8 Republicans here at Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Calling all 8 Republicans here at Cyburbia!

Hey my fellow Cyburbian Republicans what did you think of the first night's speeches?

BTW: I just loved that cute little Michael Moore flashing his "L"oser sign. I wonder if he made it out of there alive tonight?

:y :y :y :y :y :y :y :y

As to media coverage, I watched the new coverage on both FOX and CNN (Picture in Picture). On CNN it looked like the Icelandic Aryan Nations Convention. On FOX I saw people of color all over the place. What be the dealeao CNN? Are you trying to promote an old stereotype?

The CNN commentary was also not nearly as complementary as it was the first night of the Democratic convention, but I've had some here on Cyburbia tell me that my perception of media bias is all in my head.

I have to get me a Kerry Band Aid.

On CCCP whoops I mean CNN the fellow from the NYT told me that there is a "concerted effort to suppress the black vote in Florida!" Funny, CNN never mentioned the effort by the democratic party to register illegal aleins all over America! But hey, it is Fox that is the biased network right?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    So far the speeches have been a "catastrophic success". Did anyone catch Lou Dobbs this evening. He was in one hell of a mood today.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    That was, I admit, a creepy picture

I consider myself a "Demican". Does that count?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Is that a Southern word for peanut brittle?

Where's Pat Buchanan? He's the only commentator on TV that I trust anymore when it comes to these conventions.
    I heard on CNN from Jorge Ramos (Univision) that Latinos represent 6% of the delegates but 14% of the US population.

Lou Dobbs forever!!!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    On CCCP whoops I mean CNN
    Off-topic:
    I wonder how many folks here realize that CCCP is Russian for USSR? (Kind of funny, even without reading your whole post or deciding if I agree with you. )

Registered
    Aug 2001
    No, I think it's something like a Dominican...or maybe a small Mexican?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I consider myself a "Demican".
    So after eG and GeogPlanner guesses -

Q. So what is a "Demican" that you speak of ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Democratic Republican with emphasis on Democrat.

Actually, I'm more of a Republicrat, but somehow that doesn't sound as good.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I am disappointed that it is not getting the same media hype that the Democratic convention got....

All I am going to say is Rudi is going to kick Hillary’s but in ‘08
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Do you think Guilliani is socially conservative enough to win the Republican base for the nomination?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I started to watch a little of the convention (New York Metro TV)....and then I put on the Spanish channel....and watched it in Spanish. I wish I had done the same during the democratic convention. There were conga lines...dancing....not at all what I envisioned for the RNC.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I am disappointed that it is not getting the same media hype that the Democratic convention got....
    Why would it? You have a sitting president as the candidate......that usually equals less coverage. I seem to remember the Dems getting less coverage when Clinton was up for his second term.....just the nature of the beast.

For the record, I didn't watch ant of the DNC this year, nor do I plan on watching any of the RNC. Of course, it doesn't help matters that I have night meetings all week until Friday.....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbia Administrator
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    I don't see Rudy running in 2008, which would be a shame, actually. New York Republicans tend to be moderate, remnants of the Rockefeller Republican wing of the party. Socially liberal, fiscally conservative, but not wary of government intervention for market failures (health care, education, etc.), andsupportive of a very strong defensive military. Traditional Rockefeller Republicans today would probably be considered followers of "the third way," a movement that has been embraced by some Democrats. From the New Democrats Online Web site:

The Third Way philosophy seeks to adapt enduring progressive values to the new challenges of he information age. It rests on three cornerstones: the idea that government should promote equal opportunity for all while granting special privilege for none; an ethic of mutual responsibility that equally rejects the politics of entitlement and the politics of social abandonment; and, a new approach to governing that empowers citizens to act for themselves.

The Third Way approach to economic opportunity and security stresses technological innovation, competitive enterprise, and education rather than top- down redistribution or laissez faire. On questions of values, it embraces "tolerant traditionalism," honoring traditional moral and family values while resisting attempts to impose them on others. It favors an enabling rather than a bureaucratic government, expanding choices for citizens, using market means to achieve public ends and encouraging civic and community institutions to play a larger role in public life. The Third Way works to build inclusive, multiethnic societies based on common allegiance to democratic values.
    I could see myself supporting a real Rockefeler Republican in the White House.

Anyhow, enough of that. Here's my predictions:

Kerry wins: as long as the House and Senate remain in Republican hands, he won't be very effective. (At least he can't run roughshod like Bush, though; checks and balances, after all.). Bill Frist wins the 2008 Republican Primary. Faced with two mediocre choices in the election, voters choose to remain with Kerry; the economy is slowly improving, and the US is slowly repairing its reputation in global relations.

Bush wins: the victory is seen as a "mandate of the people" for endosement of his policies, and we'll see more of the same; attacks on civil liberties, blurring of boundaries between church and state, scapegmeoating gays, erosion of labor, environmental and consumer protection regulations, and as a worst case scenario: invasion of Iran. The left gets increasingly angrier and more vocal, and there could be a social backlash: think late 1960s. In the 2008 presidential election, Bill Frist or John McCain run against Barak Obama, who would soundly defeated Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primaries; she went down in the Midwest. Obama cleans up, outside of the South, the Dakotas, and the northern Rocky Mountain region.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    [ot]

Kerry wins: as long as the House and Senate remain in Republican hands, he won't be very effective. (At least he can't run roughshod like Bush, though; checks and balances, after all.).
    can i ask a dumb question? well, i'm going to ask it anyway.

though i disagree with much of president bush's social agenda, i don't understand the characterization that he has "run roughshod" over constitutional checks-and-balances. can someone explain this to me? i promise this isn't a baiting question; i just don't understand where the argument comes from.

for instance, the kyoto protocol was rejected by the senate 95-0. the senate passed the patriot act 98-1. the senate passed the iraq war resolution 77-23.

these are just three examples, but are generally considered areas where bush has used his office inappropriately. whether one agrees or disagrees with any of this legislation, i just don't get the running roughshod argument.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Suprise Suprise Suprise - the coverage of the first day of the Republican Convention by Maura Liason was actually fair and accurate. I'm not kidding. I'm just as shocked as you must be. It really was a good piece of journalism, HONEST. I know that NPR must have lost hundreds of pledges by not interviewing angry Lesbians, the homeless and Meth Adicts for Kerry, but they did an entire piece of news without slant or bias. This leads me to ask,..

What is NPR trying to pull?

I know that the Birkenstock Store in Lawrence Kansas is likely canceling their automatic debit to KPR as a result of this wierd turn of events. I can only hope the predestined Vegan Riots in Berekely don't harm anyone. Can't we all get along?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I listened to the NPR coverage of the RNC this morning and I was appalled by the blatant and explotative use of 9/11/01 commentary and imagery. It makes me anrgy and sick.

Can someone please explain why the Republicans must always exploit the tragedy? What does it have to do with their vision for the next four years?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RoadRunner
    can i ask a dumb question? well, i'm going to ask it anyway.

though i disagree with much of president bush's social agenda, i don't understand the characterization that he has "run roughshod" over constitutional checks-and-balances. can someone explain this to me? i promise this isn't a baiting question; i just don't understand where the argument comes from.

for instance, the kyoto protocol was rejected by the senate 95-0. the senate passed the patriot act 98-1. the senate passed the iraq war resolution 77-23.

these are just three examples, but are generally considered areas where bush has used his office inappropriately. whether one agrees or disagrees with any of this legislation, i just don't get the running roughshod argument.
    Shusssh...Dude, don't like...burst their bubble. They KNOW that somewhere in a bunker somewhere Dick Cheney is hard at work on the Final Soulution. The extermination camps must be being built somewhere. In their heart of hating hearts they know that we are all just white supremist killers waiting to turn America into a nation of White Christian Farmers for the Baby Jesus. Let them have their fantasy world where elected Republicans know pleasing Hailburton is more important to Jeeeeesus than defending our national security and the Bill of Rights. Keep Hope Alive!

Mendleman
    Kerry is running on two or three wars ago.
    Bush is running on the current one.

Perhaps they were trying to remind people of why we are currently in a war. It seems to me that most of my fellow Americans are shortsighted forgetful morons that might need this sort of reminder between reality shows and episodes of Dr. Phil.

Humm....I wonder if F.D.R. NEVER stooped to mention Pearl Harbor in his reelection bids? I wonder...?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    off-topic:

LOL, EG.... I think my liberal-a@@ would tune in if you had a radio show.... too funny....
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    As to media coverage, I watched the new coverage on both FOX and CNN (Picture in Picture). On CNN it looked like the Icelandic Aryan Nations Convention. On FOX I saw people of color all over the place. What be the dealeao CNN? Are you trying to promote an old stereotype?
    I haven't really followed either convention, other than scanning the headlines. America is like, a whole different country, eh? Picking up on the point above though - could it be that FOX is just as guilty as CNN in manipulating what the viewing audience is seeing?

The following is from a Toronto Star (yes, a "liberal" (Canadian liberal that is) newspaper) article on the RNC. I have no idea where they got their stats from, but I would hopefully assume it's from a valid source.

Republicans are outnumbered by Democrats about five-to-one in this city and one reason may have been on display in the delegate breakdown of those meeting in perhaps this country's most diverse city.

On the convention floor, 57 per cent of the nearly 5,000 delegates were men, 43 per cent women and 85 per cent were white. Only 6 per cent of the Republicans were African-Americans and 7 per cent Hispanics.

When Democrats met in Boston, they had a gender split of 50-50, were 68 per cent white, 18 per cent African-American and 12 per cent Hispanic.
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 31 Aug 2004 at 9:58 AM. Reason: added link

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I haven't really followed either convention, other than scanning the headlines. Picking up on the point above though - could it be that FOX is just as guilty as CNN in manipulating what the viewing audience is seeing?

The following is from a Toronto Star (yes, a "liberal" (Canadian liberal that is) newspaper) article on the RNC. I have no idea where they got their stats from, but I would hopefully assume it's from a valid source.

My Northern Friend, if there were people of all shades, and obviously a few of diferential sexual preference, in the audience and you saw them on one channel and you didn't see hardly any on the other, then who might be sublty skewing the news?

Gosh, are you implying that people of diverse backgrounds don't belong on TV, and if they get coverage it is a conservative plot?

Yes, there is every chance that Fox may have given these Republicans of Color more screen time than by statistical determination they were warrented based upon their percentage of total actual delegates? I believe showing who was there to be more honest than not showing who was there. Perhaps we need a Congressional Commission on fair and accurate television coverage of racist conventions.

Now it was hardly the RNC as presented by Nat X, but the crowd shots I saw dispelled the myth that we are all Crackers.

Oh, and your statistics are likely very accurate. The Republican party has chosen not to play up the "entitlement platform" of the Democrats. As the Middle Class in these communities grow, so will their participation in the party. But, alas my friend no one has ever grown a middle class with food stamps and gubbament Cheese. We'll be there for the rest of them when they are ready.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by statler
    Statler
    That was a nice racist hate filled cartoon implying that the other 13% of the delgates that are not white are window dressing and cannot think for themselves. I bet the white delgates make them fetch Mint Julips when the camera are turned off. Let's tell them they aren't "_________" enough or they ain't keeping it real or they have forgotten their roots. Yep, lets keep everyone hooked on government entitlement crack and negative stereotypes.

PS - It must be a bitch having a heart filled with hate for people you obviously don't understand.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    It must be a bitch having a heart filled with hate for people you obviously don't understand.
    You may be the only one who really knows.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Republicans eat their own
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 06 Feb 2007, 10:34 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 25 Nov 2005, 11:21 AM
  3. I Miss Republicans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5