Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Best news of the day! Bloated Yankees pummelled.

Best news of the day! Bloated Yankees pummelled.

If you've been paying attention to the AL standings lately, you no doubt have noticed that the Yankees lead in the AL East has slowly been eroding. Once a good 10 games ahead of Boston, they are now just barely hanging on to a 3-game lead.

Now, reeling from a record-breaking 22-0 shutout by the Indians (the most lopsided shutout in AL history), they stand to lose even more confidence.

I'm sick of the Yankee's big money machine buying a World Series entry just about every year. However, while I'm sure last night's game will do nothing to stop the big-markets stranglehold on all professional sports, at least I can relish one day of the Yankees suffering complete and utter humility.

Is it too much to hope for denial of the title?

As a die hard Red Sox fan, I had to cheer when I heard about this 22-0 victory, this one goes into the record books it ranks up there with the missed ball thur the legs. I'm soooo happy that the Yankees got whipped good, George Steinbrenner can take his hot shot team and shove it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    If you've been paying attention to the AL standings lately, you no doubt have noticed that the Yankees lead in the AL East has slowly been eroding. Once a good 10 games ahead of Boston, they are now just barely hanging on to a 3-game lead.
    If you check, the change in wind... started on the anniversary of the Babe’s death!

Spooky!!!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    We shall overcome, we shall overcome...hehe. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15...oh, sorry, just counting all of the World Series wins the Yanks have...16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I consider Elisabeth's yankee icon and yankee-sympathizing statements to be "hate speech" and request immediate disciplinary action.

Man, I wish I could hear New York sports radio callers today crying about how the end is near and how they should've landed Randy Johnson.

Whether or not they lose the division this really doesn't seem like New York's year unless their pitchers all really step it up . . . or if they just somehow throw millions of dollars at 4 new All Star pitchers. I'm surprised they've done as good as they have this year. There are 6 games left between the Red Sox and Yankees so those will be the most important thing.

Of course, deep inside I still expect Boston to choke at the hands of the Yankees.

Doesn't matter who the AL sends to the World Series: Ya'll are going down to my ST. LOUIS CARDINALS!!!! MUUUUWWWAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!

(I hope i didn't just jinx them....)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Please hear me out. I'm a die-hard Cardinals fan, since '84. Since I live in Baltimore, I'm rooting for the Yankees or the Sox to make it to the World Series against the Cardinals, so I can make it to at least 1 game. I doubt that I can get to St. Louis this fall. NYC and Boston are within driving distance.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    I consider Elisabeth's yankee icon and yankee-sympathizing statements to be "hate speech" and request immediate disciplinary action.

Man, I wish I could hear New York sports radio callers today crying about how the end is near and how they should've landed Randy Johnson.
    Touche, Seabishop. Personally, I didn't/don't want Randy Johnson and I think Clemens is a chump and the Yanks made a huge mistake when they/we lost Petitte.

That said, there have been some misphaps in the latter half of the season, admittedly, and last night being the biggest (in history, in fact). Unfortuneately, Kevin Brown hasn't been well the majority of the season, Moose has struggled, Tanyon Sturtze, Heredia (sounds like a disease) and El Duque hasn't been too successful and Esteban Louiza was just sent to the bullpen. Giambi should be traded. I was upset when we traded Tino for him and he hasn't impressed me. For all the the money he makes he should be greeting fans before games--he has to earn his keep somehow.

All in all, what we've had is great offense. If Gary Sheffield ran for President I'd vote for him. That's what we've lacked in the past--especially last year when the Sox were so threatening offensively. I don't know what happened to that, seeing as how the team is primarily the same guys as last season. I still wouldn't want Pedro, Lowe, Wakefield (even with that knuckle ball) or (past his prime) Schilling.

What does being 3.5 games up after such an enormous cushion of games? To me, it means that it's really starting--the games mean more and it wouldn't be late summer without the Yanks and the Sox putting it all on the line for the ALCS. It also means enduring the horrific Fox Sports graphics. Anyway, it's a good thing because nothing lights a fire under the Yanks' ass like a embarrassing defeat...well, ok, maybe paycuts

Just like I thought, the Sports Guy on ESPN.com had a field day with this. And, rightfully so, this is all you Sox fans have got.
    Last edited by Elisabeth; 01 Sep 2004 at 10:46 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm tired of baseball post-season anyway...cuts into my football when the Yanks are in the pennant race...so I'm not too upset with the rout last night. I'd like to take this September/October and devote it to football...the Sox can have the division.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I'll sum it up in one word:

Pitching.

Sox have it this year, the Yankees don't.

Sox come back and win the division by 2 games.....Sox-Cardinals in the World Series.....and as big a Sox fan as I am, the Cards win in 6 games.

Enough about baseball......The PATRIOTS open defense of the Super Bowl a week from tomorrow! That's when the real sports season starts.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    My Tigers suck... I will admit it.

But I would love to see anyone beat NY. It would be great it Boston and Chicago made it this year.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Elisabeth
    or (past his prime) Schilling.

Uh, would that be CURT (17-6) Shilling? The one who is in the running for the Cy Young this year?
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Enough about baseball......The PATRIOTS open defense of the Super Bowl a week from tomorrow! That's when the real sports season starts.
    Hope that defense doesn't look like it did against Cincy.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    Hope that defense doesn't look like it did against Cincy.
    The "Buffalo" wake up call came in the preseason rather than week 1 this year.

Starting unit looked very good against Carolina last week....and man does Ben Watson look like a great TE!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    seriously.. don't be surprised if it is twins-cardinals in the world series.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2003

From a diehard Bombers fan...

Hey, we got our butts kicked last night. It happens. But, I find this experience instructive. Now I have a sense of what it must feel like to be a Red Sox fan!

The Yankees' biggest problem is Steinbrenner. When he was suspended from the team back in the 90's was when the core of this team was developed in the farm system. Jeter, Williams, Posada, Pettite, Rivera...all home grown talent and huge reasons why we won four titles in five years. But since then, sad to say, the talent in the pipeline was traded away. So, we could be headed for a repeat of the 80s and early 90s when the Yanks missed the playoffs for 14 seasons.

PS: "Nine-teen Eight-teen"

PPS: Babe, Bucky, Buckner, Boone
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    El Duque haven't been too successful
    Ahem...we're 8-1 when El Duque pitches. He's the only bright spot in the rotation currently. You're totally right on regarding Giambi, though.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003

Not Impressed

I guess I just don't like Schilling because half of my undergrad was from "right outside Philly" and they all rooted for the Diamondbacks in 2001--not cool, regardless of his current numbers. Good for him, but he's still not as good as he used to be.

And I just have never been too impressed with El Duque. Perhaps I'm overly critical of the Yanks, but they make so much money the least they can do is win. But, you're right, he's been doing the best out of all of them.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    [QUOTE=Elisabeth] Perhaps I'm overly critical of the Yanks, but they make so much money the least they can do is win.QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Great to see the Yankees pounded.
    Hey Richmond Jake, did you notice the Dodgers are in first place ahead of the Giants????????????
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    This thread is about Baseball? Judging by the title I was thinking that perhaps some overweight New Yorkers got beat up while vacationing in Myrtle Beach.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste
    ......Hey Richmond Jake, did you notice the Dodgers are in first place ahead of the Giants????????????
    Yes, I noticed because I check the box scores and standings every morning. BTW, do the Dodgers still play in Chavez Latrine?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    We shall overcome, we shall overcome...hehe. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15...oh, sorry, just counting all of the World Series wins the Yanks have...16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26!
    Oh Please! at the end of the day its still AL ball, that is like a step above little league,

Just Razzing ya, there Yankee Fan

GO CARDS!
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    If Toronto ever gets a major league team, I may just start following baseball

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    If Toronto ever gets a major league team, I may just start following baseball
    wait a second, I thought.............................................................nevermind
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 20 Aug 2010, 3:06 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 4:04 PM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last post: 11 Jun 2005, 7:58 AM
  4. Kerry Wins, Yankees Lose!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5