Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone consider teaching?

Registered
    Feb 2002

Anyone consider teaching?

Has anyone consider teaching as a career? I have a masters in geography, and have been curious to see what it would take to teach. Not sure at what level. Part of me is interested in elementary school, the other part is interested in college level. Has anyone else looked into this?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    looked into it.

With my master's, I apprently would only have to take seven classes and then take the necessary teacher's tests. This was at Depaul University (here in Chicago), so I don't know about other places.

I would only want to do secondary (high school) though.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I am teaching water aerobics, does that count? I do have to be certified.

I would love to teach, but I still want to go back to school for forensic anthropology, so I don't know where I would fit that into my schedule.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    H is. I guest lecture at KSU and have been urged to teach a course as an adjunct professor. I don't think I'll ever teach full time although I think I have the patience and aptitude for it.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    When I was desperately unhappy working for The Dark Side, I investigated a move to teaching. Most of my close friends, my parents and sundry other relatives are teachers. At the time, I didn't want to go for El Ed, since El Ed teachers are a dime a dozen in Upstate NY and new teachers have problems getting hired. I defintiely did not want to go special ed, and so I settled on reading. A reading masters is only 30 credits - I got 6 done before I was hired by the town.

It was interesting, but I'm glad I didn't make the switch. Teaching is low pay, low rewards, high aggravation and high energy work.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    It was interesting, but I'm glad I didn't make the switch. Teaching is low pay, low rewards, high aggravation and high energy work.
    Yeah...what Downtown said! My boyfriend has a degree in Special Education. He taught for a few years but basically quit, based on the above reasons. They got cost of living raises each year, but no "merit" raises until after 7 years of teaching! :-C Not worth it to play educator and mommy/daddy at the same time....

Registered
    Dec 1998

Teaching is low pay, low rewards, high aggravation and high energy work.
    Sounds just like Planning. I've considered teaching, but only at the college level.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've considered it and even did some substitute teaching while in between jobs a couple of years back. Based purely on that experience I now believe that seventh grade teachers should get paid 1.5 times what others do.

The only appeal to be would be the awesome vacation schedule. I will be the first to admit that I do not have the patience required to become a teacher. I have tried to teach people computer skills, including GIS and I usually end up pissing them off because I get annoyed when people don't learn stuff as quickly as I think they should.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I contacted a local school about becoming a certified teacher, as a second career. I'm interested in upper elementary or secondary Earth Science. I don't know whether I'll go through with it.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I have thought about it, but have not taken the idea any farther than that
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I would really like to teach. So would my wife. We are going to explore home schooling (maybe charter schooling) so that we may be able to do some of the teaching.

Here's the proposed "accelerated" curriculum:

Planning Basics (Building Blocks) - K
    Route Mapping (Where do you live) - 1st grade
    Classifying Uses (What happens at the park & store) - 2nd grade
    Calculating Densities (Multiplication & division) - 3rd grade
    Nuisance Abatements (How to deal with the neighborhood bully) - 4th grade
    Environmental Mitigation (Frog Ponds and other field trips) - 5th grade

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Even though I haven't considered teaching formally as a career, Planderella and I currently teach Sunday School.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Education and journalism were my "back-ups" when I went to college, if I couldn't hack it in architecture.....then I discovered planning (which encompasses the ability to communicate, teach, and inform), and haven't looked back since.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have thought for a long time that at some point in my career, maybe when I am in my fifties, I would like to teach at the college level. I have occassionally guest-lectured at four different universities and have always enjoyed it.

Do I remember a similar thread, where we discussed opening something like a University of Cyburbia?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Has anyone consider teaching as a career? I have a masters in geography, and have been curious to see what it would take to teach. Not sure at what level. Part of me is interested in elementary school, the other part is interested in college level. Has anyone else looked into this?
    I've considered teaching as a career. In fact, I'm starting an Education program (aka Teacher's College) in 14 days! My only reason for doing this 8-month program (the shortest duration in Canada!) is because I want to get into teaching for the Deaf and hard of hearing. I will be more qualified and more experienced once I apply for this diploma program that'll enable me in becoming a teacher for the Deaf and hard of hearing. As a severely to profoundly deaf, but speaking person, I have always wanted to give back to Deaf and hard of hearing students who may have gone through the educational system falling into cracks because no one really know how to work with these kind of students.

How is related to geography and history, the two teachable subjects I have? Not much yet. I'll see. Geography and history are my two teachable subjects because I have at least five credits (5.0) in geography and at least 3.0 credits in history. I can pick up mathematics later on as my third teachable, if I decide to pursue this.

Even though I'm going into the intermediate-senior stream (grade 7 to 12) for this program, I can pick up additional qualification courses to teach primary and/or junior levels (JK to 3; 4 to 6, respectively).

Maybe you could consider teaching at an elementary level for the fall-winter months and then teach spring and summer courses at a university/college level?

As for teaching at college and university level in Canada, I believe it not necessary to go to teacher's college to teach there.

There's also the option of doing ECE (aka Early Child[hood] Education) if you wanna teach the really lil' ones.

On a side note, I thought it was kinda neat to see many other of you Cyburbians who have comtemplated a career in teaching and/or planning. I was in the same boat if you had ask me a year ago!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    My life in a "position of authority" in a local Toledo distribution center, with 150 employees, puts me in a teaching position every day. Plug-in a high turnover rate, unmotivated younger employees, and school systems that still don't spend enough time on "real world" issues......like balancing a checkbook or following a written document through to completion.....and you have schloads of teaching opportunities.

I actually enjoy those opportunities. In addition to hands-on teaching in the actual work environment, I have developed training and education programs for my supervisors.....covering everything from teamwork to safety to quality to understanding how a business makes money.

When I first arrived at university I was going to be a journalist.....sportswriter. Life and love changes everything.

Bear At Front Of Class
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    With all of my recent career reflections and loathing teaching is one thing I can say I've never considered nor does it interest me.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have been told before that I am patient, empathetic and would make a good teacher. About 12 years ago I tutored one of my adult sister's friends who was taking an algebra class at the local community college. She had a final and I gave her three hours of my time. To this day, my sister's friend swears that I had a certain je n'est ce quois that helped her pass that class. Anyway, at one point in one of my post-undergraduate years I even considered going back to school to become a teacher. I instead decided to go to planning school. I think that was the better of two choices. However, I do have an innovative idea that can intergrate teaching with planning. But that's another thread for another day.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I am having a blast teaching my Intro to Planning Course!

It is very rewarding to get people (who normally would not) thinking about planning.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    When I was desperately unhappy working for The Dark Side, I investigated a move to teaching. Most of my close friends, my parents and sundry other relatives are teachers. At the time, I didn't want to go for El Ed, since El Ed teachers are a dime a dozen in Upstate NY and new teachers have problems getting hired. I defintiely did not want to go special ed, and so I settled on reading. A reading masters is only 30 credits - I got 6 done before I was hired by the town.

I agree with downtown. My SO teaches gifted and talented, so I get to hear all the war stories. From listening to her decompress, it sounds like the next generation is a bunch of self-centered, unmotivated sociopaths and she teaches the bright ones :-C

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I was a grade school substitute teacher in the Chicago Public Schools when I first moved here in the mid-80s, and it was literally Hell on earth. A 3rd grade girl tried to stab a boy in my classroom on my second day. The girl sat in the office for a couple of hours and then came back to my room. I quit because I picked up a bada$$ 4th grader and nearly slammed him into the lockers. I'd never do that again.

However...

I've got my masters in planning already, and I'm considering getting a PhD. I'd like to teach at the college level, but I'd love the research opportunities even more.

Registered
    May 1997
    Good planners are good educators.

Beyond that, teaching can be fun. I spent five years at two different universities. You have to be able to ignore the liabilities of the academic life, which includes that you will have to work during all that seemingly great vacation time in order to pay the bills, but it was good for me.

I have tried to get back in, but the days of teaching at the University level without a Ph.D. are over. I have tried a couple of positions where a doctorate wasn't explicitly required, but someone with a Ph.D - and vastly less experience and even fewer publication credits got the job in both cases.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Switch to teaching?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 17 Dec 2012, 10:21 AM
  2. Teaching on the side
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Jun 2012, 1:46 PM
  3. Teaching prospects?
    Career Development and Advice