Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Campaign Finance Reform - Your Ideas

Registered
    Oct 2001

Campaign Finance Reform - Your Ideas

My campaign finance proposals:
    1. Companies, Unions, PAC and all other non-Humans will be forever forbidden to give money to politicians anywhere or any time. Free Speech should not apply to non-humans.
    2. Only people can give money to politicians.
    3. People can only give money to politicans that are running in their state, county, city or parish of residency for congressional, state, and local elections.
    4. In congressional, state, and local elections you can only give an ammount equal to what you paid in federal, state and local income taxes the previous year.
    5. You cannot deduct your political giving from your gross income before taxes.
    6. Politicians will not be allowed to hitch a ride on a private plane, limo, boat or airship. But instead they will be allowed to fly for free anywhere in the continental US. Uncle Sam will buy them a business class ticket, all they have to do is ask. The Freqquent Flyer Miles belong to the US taxpayer.
    7. Federal Politicans will retire with the pension of a US Colonel (O-6) and receive all their medical care from the VA. (Solves that problem)
    8. People can volunteer all the time they want to a campaign if the whole giving tied to income seems oppressive. This should please the sandal crowd.
    9. Politicians will have to spend at least 120 days in the state they represent every calendar year.
    10. Politicans accepting bribes will be given the death penalty. The FBI will be given a new building and 100 guns for every politician they catch accepting a bribe.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    My campaign finance proposals:

6. Politicians will not be allowed to hitch a ride on a private plane, limo, boat or airship. But instead they will be allowed to fly for free anywhere in the continental US. Uncle Sam will buy them a business class ticket, all they have to do is ask. The Freqquent Flyer Miles belong to the US taxpayer.
    They should also not be allowed to do book signings at the taxpayers expence, when they should be doing their job in their stepping stone state. You hear that you scumbag Hillary Clinton . Yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Here's a simple but probably undoable campaign reform and campaign finance reform idea: drastically cut back the length of all federal campaigns.

How about this -- in any given election year (presidential or mid-terms), no announcements to run for office until April. Start state primaries in June/July. Party conventions in August. Any debates in September/October. And of course, elections in November.

Bush and Kerry have been posturing for re-election/election since June or July last year. If we simply take a year off of the presidential campaigns, we not only save money but change the nature of campaigning.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'm not familiar with U.S. campaign finance rules, etc. Up here we have instituted shorter campaign lengths and I think a campaign finance reform bill was passed before the previous government broke - it limited individual contributions and I believe outlawed corporate/union contributions. I'm not sure exactly - it hasn't really been as big an issue up here.

EG - would your proposals address the current 527 org issue?

I think that any group should be able to take out ads in support of their preferred candidate so long as they declare who they are. Maybe they should be required to list all of the board members of group at the end of the ad, but to prohibit groups from airing ads 60 days before an election...that is just wrong. The current law should have been deemed unconstitutional. I don't think that restricting free speech is ever a good idea.

However, I would limit all contributions to $500 per candidate, per year. No more of these 10,000 a plate fundraisers.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Give 'em the $1 from that box that you can check on your federal income tax; and nothing more. The waste of money, resources, etc on commercials, signs and so forth is just stupid.

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    What really peeves me about campaign finances is that a lot of times, the more qualified candidates are left by the wayside because they can't raise the funds needed to be "visible." I think the so-called free press should stop endorsing particular candidates and be an unbiased medium for ALL who are seeking public office. Also, let there be absolutely no radio or tv spots. Let those lazy ass candidates campaign like they should - at the grass-roots level with and among the people.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    I think that any group should be able to take out ads in support of their preferred candidate so long as they declare who they are. Maybe they should be required to list all of the board members of group at the end of the ad, but to prohibit groups from airing ads 60 days before an election...that is just wrong. The current law should have been deemed unconstitutional. I don't think that restricting free speech is ever a good idea.

However, I would limit all contributions to $500 per candidate, per year. No more of these 10,000 a plate fundraisers.
    Agreed...and contributions have to be and indivisual's own money. Politicians cannot raise money and then give it to another politician. Any funds left in a campaign war chest after a candidate retires from office must be rolled into the federal pool of campaign funds.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I'm not familiar with U.S. campaign finance rules, etc. Up here we have instituted shorter campaign lengths and I think a campaign finance reform bill was passed before the previous government broke - it limited individual contributions and I believe outlawed corporate/union contributions. I'm not sure exactly - it hasn't really been as big an issue up here.

EG - would your proposals address the current 527 org issue?
    No, It would hopefully make them unnecessary and unregulated. Any group could put anything they wanted on TV as long as they were willing to defend it in court. I don't have a clue how you stop groups from saying what they want to say. It might clog the courts for a while. I'm not even sure if we should even attempt to regluate groups like them. All I'm saying is that politicians would no longer get cash for favors, or at least not as much if you exclude groups from making donations.

Let's face it, democracy and freedom are messy.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    How about this:

Give each x million dollars for the primary race. No contributions, no using your own money.

Who ever wins the nominations get x million more for the race. If a third party manages to gain a certain percentage of votes through the primiaires they get their x million too.

Give them September and October to campain.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I think the solution is somewhere btw eG and giff. Both have very good ideas.

Registered
    May 2003
    I'd go with the EG campaign reform.

The only other thing I would like is that political messages can only be delivered by the candidate themselves -- not by surrogates. It's a lot different to hear GWB or JFK call their opponent a scumbag than for some advertising agency to find a clever way to manipulat the message.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Campaign finance reform
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Sep 2010, 2:14 PM
  2. MBA/infrastructure finance
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Aug 2007, 12:26 PM
  3. Implications of Florida tax reform
    Economic and Community Development