Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia Tailgate Party Thread

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Cyburbia Tailgate Party Thread

Football season has arrived. For those of us who love the sport, that means endless games (almost every night if you have cable) on the tube, extreme rivalries, stuff getting thrown at the television, and tailgate parties.

You're all invited to a Cyburbia Tailgate Party. Bring something to munch on, like toasted Buckeyes. Pop down your tail (heh heh) gate and open a beverage.

Bring a flag or bumper sticker of your favorite team, pro or college, or both.
    _____

First arrival is Bear Up North, sporting a University of Michigan sweatshirt. OMG, it's the shirt he wears every year to Dale's Bar,Maumee,OH, when the annual U of M vs Ohio State game is being played. He is wicked in that shirt.

Notice too, the tablecloth on his Toyota tail gate is a Pittsburgh Steeler blanket. he may be a Bear, but he's got "football class".

Tail Bear

At the Distribution Center where this Bear is somewhat gainfully employed, we have three (3) flagpoles in front of our office building. The tallest, of course, is the US of A flag. The two shorter poles hold a University of Toledo (Rockets) flag and a Bowling Green State University (Falcons) flag.

The founder of our company, and original CEO, is a trustee at the University of Toledo. He is an avid supporter of Rocket sports.

The President and CEO (now) is a trustee at Bowling Green State University. He is an avid supporter of Falcon sports.

Over the years, there has been some kind of fun at company meetings and events because of northwest Ohio's big college rivalry. And, over the years we have hired, as "seasonal" employees during the summer, football players from both programs.

Jansen Patton was just released by the Pittsburgh Steelers. He worked for us. As did Josh Harris (new third string quarterback at Baltimore Ravens camp).

And this weekend, check out as BGSU goes to play Oklahoma, rated number 2 in the nation. BGSU quarterback just left our employ.

Bear On The Politically-Correct BGSU vs UT Fence
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 25 Jul 2005 at 10:39 AM.
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Going to Buffalo's season opening. 6AM we drink and get breakfast. Take that Sunday!!!
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2003
    We'll be tailgating in tally all season long to watch the 'noles play.

Quote Originally posted by H
    saddly, this year, I wont get to a VOL game (for the first time in a while) or a Rebs game (for a first time in a while

The evolution of my football teams:

0-18: Gator
    BA: Rebel
    MSP: VOL

Now: 'Nole

I still love em all...even the gators. my dad raised my on gator football, so even though i will root for FSU (my school) this year...I will be a little sad when the NOLES WIN :-P

EDIT: Whoops, did not mean to quote myself,,,sorry
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 25 Jul 2005 at 10:40 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Living close to Fort Collins, CO I plan on going to CSU games. But since The Bear is here, on the 11th I will bring fried Wolverine... GO IRISH first upset of the year.
    Oh and I will be watching the game with my buddy from Detroit, so it'll be EXTRA SWEET.

OH and GO BRONCOS
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Looking forward to the season ahead in Albany...Go Great Danes!

UAlbany Picked to Win 2004 NEC Football Title

After winning a share of its second consecutive Northeast Conference football championship, UAlbany is the preseason choice to capture this year's NEC title, as announced on Wednesday, Aug. 18.

Somerset, N.J. – After winning a share of its second consecutive Northeast Conference football championship, the University at Albany is the preseason choice to capture this year’s NEC title, in voting by the conference’s head coaches.

The Great Danes, who went 7-4 overall and tied for first in the league standings with Monmouth, are ranked No. 7 in both The Sports Network and Football Gazette I-AA preseason polls. UAlbany opens its schedule on Thursday, Sept. 2 at Hofstra. Kickoff is 7:00 p.m. ET. The contest will be televised on Fox Sports New York.

"I am pleasantly surprised," commented Albany coach Bob Ford, who has 201 career victories at the collegiate level. "I believe the voting is based on our defensive returnees, and a great defense will win a championship. We still have plenty of work to do with questions to be answered at quarterback, running back, part of the offensive line, and the kicking game."

Three UAlbany players were named to the Preseason All-Northeast Conference Team. Senior left tackle Geir Gudmundsen, at 6-foot-6 and 315-pounds, has made 33 consecutive starts on Albany’s offensive line. A two-time All-NEC first-team selection, Gudmundsen was named to three postseason Division I-AA All-America teams in 2003.

Brandon Shaw, a 6-foot, 295-pound center, anchored an offensive line that established the NEC and school single-season rushing record with 3,215 yards last year. Shaw, who has twice been chosen to the postseason all-conference team, helped the Great Danes rank fourth nationally in rushing at 292.3 yards per game.

Sophomore cornerback Ryan Chrobak made 47 tackles, including 35 unassisted hits, in his first season as a starter. He added eight pass break-ups and one interception for a defensive unit that was among the top 10 nationally in rushing yards allowed and total defense. The Great Danes also ranked 11th in scoring defense with a 16.8 average.

Northeast Conference 2004 Preseason Football Poll

1. Albany (5), T2. Stony Brook (2), T2. Monmouth (1), 4. Robert Morris, 5. Central Connecticut State, 6. Wagner, 7. Sacred Heart, 8. St. Francis, Pa.

( ) – first-place votes
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2003
    O- H- I- O !!!!

Alright, I have my red Wisconsin t-shirt, a bunch of brats, some cheese curds, a little rum & coke, and a cooler filled with some ice cold wisconsin beer.

I think the Badgers have the potential to have a good year. Their offense hinges on a unproven, yet promising QB who has only thrown 17 passes in his college career. They have some good WRs and an awesome running back, so if the QB Stocco can play decent, a trip to a decent bowl is not out of the question.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Tailgating kicks off tomorrow at noon for me. Utah host texas A&M Thursday at 5:45. The number one reason why ESPN is going to hell: moving college football games from Saturday. BS. Does it mean you have a problem when you take time off of work to get drunk?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    My alma mater opens up tomorrow night against BC.....we're gonna get pasted.

Ball State's pre-season rank: 105. ugh....gonna be another long season in Muncie....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    My alma mater opens up tomorrow night against BC.....we're gonna get pasted. Ball State's pre-season rank: 105. ugh....gonna be another long season in Muncie....
    I don't know why they enjoy being the patsies of the BCs, Missouris, K States, etc., unless its for the bucks (so they can discontinue men's soccer and start women's soccer).

Personally, I'll be in front of the TV Sunday at 3:30 for the Kentucky v. Louisville game (ESPN). Not a big Louisville fan, though they have one of the best offenses in the nation again this year. No, I'll be rooting against the arses that are UK fans. After Mets fans, UK fans are the most obnoxious in the world, IMO.
    No longer for better. No longer for worse. And certainly not for lunch.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm a season ticket holder for LSU (2003 National Champions!). There's nowhere else I'd rather tailgate than on LSU's campus! The season opener is against Oregon State in Baton Rouge this Saturday evening, September 4th.

For the Cyburbia Tailgate Party, I'll sport my LSU baseball cap and N.O. Saints polo shirt. Geaux Tigers and Saints!!!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Rocky Mountain Showdown of Colorado/Colorado State is this weekend. Even since they moved it from Mile High in Denver, there hasn;t been much excitement. I'm a Notre Dame fan and, of course, my alma mater Northern Colorado (I-AA), but I usually get excited over CU/CSU. This year I will be camping. Told the G/F maybe we'll get it on the radio.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2003

Tailgate Reflections

Bowling Green's new quarterback, Omar Jacobs, looked good against the 2nd ranked team in this land, Oklahoma. Omar is an ex-employee of mine.

The University of Toledo, supposedly with a high-caliber offense, showed how not to play defense and were blown out by Minnesota. (Trust me on this.....the Big Ten schedule this year.....who plays who and who doesn't play who.....will have a huge impact on the B10 championship.)

Ohio State's Buckeyes did not show up in the first half of their game against the University of Cincinnati. They played superbly in the 2nd stanza. They looked deserving of their Top 10 ranking.

My tailgate specialty.....the University of Michigan.....played just OK against Miami of Ohio. Miami was starting a new quarterback and he was picked a number of times. Was it the Wolverine defense, considered to be among the best in the land, or was it a new quarterback jitterbug?

Also, the Wolverines started a freshman at quarterback, for the first time in many, many years. Chad Henne looked real good. Should be a fun four (4) years for Chad at "the Big House".

Bear Shouting Go Blue
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Football breeds goodwill... Even towards Florida State fans.

Clemson offers free tickets to Frances refugees.

Registered
    May 2003

Tailgate Week #2

The University of Michigan travels to "the house of Gipp"....Notre Dame.....this Saturday (9-11-04). The Wolverines opened with a victory against Miami of Ohio. Notre Dame opened with a loss.

Even though U of M struggles more than often in South Bend, look for a Mighty Wolverine victory. (Notre Dame's fight song and Michigan's fight song considered the best in the land.)

Ohio State's nuts of no significant value (Buckeyes) play Marshall. Look for a big OSU win. (Last year, teams from the mid-major football conference, the Mid American, played very well against the Big Ten, and other majors. Not so this year.)

NFL season starts on the tube tonight (Thursday). I will be watching the Steelers on the tube Sunday, at Frogtown's, Central & McCord, Sunday. Even though my chemo keeps me from drinking beer, the guys I'm with will drink some for me. I will have to have a double......double coke on the rocks.

Go Steelers !!!!!

At Cyburbia Tailgate Party #2 I will have:

Sauteed mushrooms.....chicken wings....(no, wait, sorry Rumpy....."Buffalo" wings).....a couple brats with spicy mustard......Rolling Rock.....

American Futbal - Gotta Luv It

Bear At QB
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Football breeds goodwill... Even towards Florida State fans.
    fo' snizzle. Bring it on 9.25, I'll bring the JD!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ok, Tales of a Pathetic Loser Time again...............I've never been to a tailgate party It always looked like fun. When I went to MSU I recall walking through the parking lot near the stadium and seeing all sorts of hilarious sh**. One guy had what musta been a 30 ft RV and had set up a "fine dining room" complete with these enormous baroque candelabras and a guy dressed up as a butler serving the "guests" brats!!!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    My college team never does anything because the Hockey team gets all the glory, and growing up Two hours north of Green Bay, you know I will be glued to the TV this Monday night to watch the Pack.

We take the idea of Tailgating Seriously. I have been in a basement where the guy used old S-10 tailgates mounted to the walls as extra seating and benches. He mounted them so they could be put up when not in use, smoothed out one side to make them more comfortable, and they all faced the big screen. Each one had a different packer player air brushed onto it.

I just hope that they find a new (and good) QB before "the man" hangs up his arm.
    The most foolish thing one can do this fall is to vote for Clinton or Trump. Wake up, get out of the matrix, and send a message to the political establishment that you won't play their game.

Registered
    Nov 2003

H, I'm still upset at the Nat'l Champ. game with FSU vs. Nebraska in Jan. 04. I'm upset that Dr. Tom didn't put in Phillips in the game earlier. I'm upset that Phillips crossed the goal line late in the 4th quarter but the referee didn't signal touchdown. We could've had 3 championships in a row. We did make up for it by beating the crap out of Miami and Florida the next two years.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Tomorrow night, I'll be sporting my orange and green in true Rattler fashion as FAMU takes on Tulane in the Superdome.

"A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2004

No tailgating for this dudette. I'll be at the swamp spending some quality time in the skybox.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    fo' snizzle. Bring it on 9.25, I'll bring the JD!
    One day I'm gonna have to take you up on that offer my friend. Be sure to throw one back for me.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    To the Bear Up North, I say GO IRISH!!!!, but I think everyone knows what's going to happen. Especially my Wolverine-loving friend from Detroit who is watching it with me.

Also, whoever wins the Broncos/Chiefs game on Sunday night will win the AFC West, and I think there is a good chance for either.

Go Broncos.

Any Maine fans out there, UNC (Northern Colorado) is coming to win in your house this weekend. Go Bears!

-Peart

Registered
    May 2003
    hey Z.....

My wife, Katie, is a Broncos fan. When you beat my Steelers a few years ago, on your way to a Super Bowl win, we exchanged "words". We outplayed you in all categories except the score. The score is what matters.

I was happy for you Broncos......better you than Oakland or Jacksonville or Tennessee.

Enjoy Michigan's Saturday victory.

Bear Blasting Thru The Big M (& Toasting The Steelers)
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    I don't know why they enjoy being the patsies of the BCs, Missouris, K States, etc., unless its for the bucks (so they can discontinue men's soccer and start women's soccer).

Personally, I'll be in front of the TV Sunday at 3:30 for the Kentucky v. Louisville game (ESPN). Not a big Louisville fan, though they have one of the best offenses in the nation again this year. No, I'll be rooting against the arses that are UK fans. After Mets fans, UK fans are the most obnoxious in the world, IMO.
    Amen, before I moved down to KY, I had no clue to how bad the UK fans were.

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    My alma mater opens up tomorrow night against BC.....we're gonna get pasted.

Ball State's pre-season rank: 105. ugh....gonna be another long season in Muncie....
    It could be worse. With IU, it's a matter of counting the weeks till the start of b'ball season. A great football season is winning as many as you lose
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 25 Jul 2005 at 10:41 AM.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 92
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 1:02 AM
  2. Cyburbia Weightfest Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 582
    Last post: 05 Nov 2013, 4:00 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 7:10 PM
  4. Replies: 8