Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 1893 Columbian Exposition - Chicago

Registered
    Feb 2003

1893 Columbian Exposition - Chicago

did the "White City" or "Grey City" from the World' s Fair burn during the Chicago Fire?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2003
    The great Chicago Fire was in 1871. The exposition was in 1893. I thought they disassembled it afterward.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by iamme
    The great Chicago Fire was in 1871. The exposition was in 1893. I thought they disassembled it afterward.
    IIRC, those buildings sat derelict for several years and then burned. From what I have read, it was a pretty spectacular fire.

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by iamme
    The exposition was in 1893. I thought they disassembled it afterward.
    I seem to remember that as well.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I know that the church in the white city was disassembled and re-assembled in my hometown. In the 60s, the church using the building felt it was prudent to tear down the structure and erect a new "modern" church on the same site.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    they were faux blgs. right?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    What I've heard/read is the same as mgk920, most of it burned down.

A few buildings did survive, though. The Palace of Fine Arts building became the Museum of Science and Industry, but the exterior had to be rebuilt in stone in either the 1920's or 30's in order to keep it from deteriorating (the buildings were originally made of plaster).

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jack
    ...but the exterior had to be rebuilt in stone in either the 1920's or 30's in order to keep it from deteriorating (the buildings were originally made of plaster).
    Jack,
    You're right except that the Fine Arts/Museum of Science and Industry building was originally built with stone. It was intended to be the only permanent structure from the beginning.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Jack,
    You're right except that the Fine Arts/Museum of Science and Industry building was originally built with stone. It was intended to be the only permanent structure from the beginning.
    I originally thought that, but later came upon various sites like this one. They all said the exterior ornament was made of the same plaster material as the other buildings even though it was intended to be fireproof.

Registered
    May 2003
    I originally thought that, but later came upon various sites like this one. They all said the exterior ornament was made of the same plaster material as the other buildings even though it was intended to be fireproof.
    Thank you for clarifying that for me. Chicago Landmarks website is a reliable source, I guess.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Thank you for clarifying that for me. Chicago Landmarks website is a reliable source, I guess.
    I figured I'd link to the website with the most impressive sounding name and address. After all, you just gotta believe a website when it has that many dots in the URL.

What's the name of the town where the church was relocated?

Registered
    May 2003
    I figured I'd link to the website with the most impressive sounding name and address. After all, you just gotta believe a website when it has that many dots in the URL.

What's the name of the town where the church was relocated?
    boiker is in Peoria, IL.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Many of the buildings were at least partially diasmantled. My former office contained several plaster friezes from the Columbian Exposition, based on Greek temples.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Let's not forget this book: The Devil in the White City : Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America

It described a in great detail the demise of the various buildings and their natural settings.

We have discussed the book at Cyburbia: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7733

Enjoy
    el Guapo is a former 20 year +/- urban planner (just like you).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Let's not forget this book: The Devil in the White City : Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America

It described a in great detail the demise of the various buildings and their natural settings.

We have discussed the book at Cyburbia: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7733

Enjoy
    I am guessing it is Fiction?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    boiker is in Peoria, IL.
    It was moved to Streator, IL used by St. Casmir's Parish

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    It was moved to Streator, IL used by St. Casmir's Parish
    Hometown - sorry me dummy

You know...for kids.

Registered
    May 2003
    City of the Century (a nonfiction book about 1900s Chicago) had a description of what happened after the exposition. I do know many of the buildings were taken down and (appearently) moved. Some English guy came over specifically to fight to keep the buildings from all being torn down but, failing at that, he took up urban reform after seeing how the working man lived in Chicago and died on the Titanic while making one of his many trans-atlantic trips fighting the Man.

At least one building did burn down, probably as the result of arson during the 1894 depression. I can't remember the details though.

One building from the fair does still stand at the site. The Palace of Fine Arts was built out of stone instead of wood and plaster to protect the priceless works that were on display in it during the fair. It is now the Museum of Science and Industry.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I am guessing it is Fiction?
    It is not. In fact, it is a dramatic retelling of real events that led up to the 1893 Columbian Exposition, intertwining the histories of an architect and a killer.

Registered
    May 2003
    It's "non-fiction" like The Perfect Storm is "non-fiction." It's history with creative license added.

Science and Industry may be the only building left over, but weren't some of the street layouts and other design elements kept as well?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I was at Expo '67 in Montreal with my family, and I remember it as being a lot of fun. Pre-Disney World, and all. Have there been any expositions since then that have been successful, or are they now extinct?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I was at Expo '67 in Montreal with my family, and I remember it as being a lot of fun. Pre-Disney World, and all. Have there been any expositions since then that have been successful, or are they now extinct?
    A few years ago in Hannover, Germany. I attended this event and it was very enjoyable.

http://www.bmwworld.com/expo_2000.htm

http://www.solo-photography.com/hannover.htm

     
    Registered
    Oct 2004

Not everything was destroyed.

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner
    Science and Industry may be the only building left over, but weren't some of the street layouts and other design elements kept as well?
    The more seedy Midway of the Fair was actually built on a median of a boulevard, which is now retention ponds and athletic fields for the University of Chicago. There are vestiges of the streets in the modern layout of Jackson Park.

The Ho-o-den Shrine on the Fair's Wooded Island survived until the 50's, when a cigarette fire destroyed it.

While the Palace of Fine Arts may have been built partially out of stone, it definitely wasn't built to last. It only survived the fire because of its extreme northern location within the grounds.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Greetings from Chicago!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Aug 2012, 1:10 PM
  2. Greetings from Chicago
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Sep 2009, 9:16 AM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last post: 28 Dec 2004, 12:08 PM